[Suggestion] Board Interaction: More Options

There have been a few occasions where I've been frustrated with the (lack of) board interaction in FM11, mostly relating to competitions. Rather than just say "we need more options", I'll post a few specific suggestions:

- I want to discuss with the board which competitions are important to me. I don't want them getting upset with me for my under 19s losing in the Cup while I use my seniors to tear apart the league and Champions League. I also don't want my players getting upset that they aren't playing in the domestic cups when it's clear I only use backups for those. If possible, I'd even like to be able to nominate squads to which to default in the cup competitions; I hate when under 19 matches clash with senior cup games in which I'd planned to use the youth team.

- I'd like to be able to tell the board that with the league won, I plan to use reserves in the league matches from now on. I hate it when they get narked at me for my reserves losing away from home at second place when I'm 28 points clear with 4 games to go. It would be lovely if the fans would recognise this too, not to mention the players!

- I'd like to be able to specify in more detail what I'm looking for in a parent or feeder club. Just having "a club to send players on loan" isn't enough; I'd like to be able to specify a level at which the loan club plays. I'd like to be able to specify that I want the commercial link club to be in Japan, or the youth first option club to be in Czech Republic rather than hope that the board reads my mind and gives me the answer I want.

- I'd love when an established manager at a small club to have a goal of "become fully professional within five years" or "establish ourselves at the next tier up within three seasons" with a corresponding contract length, rather than simply the current short-term goals.

- I'd like to be able, when requesting more staff, to specify how many more staff I feel I need. I always end up with either too many or too few slots, meaning I either get constant "backroom advice" recommending staff I don't need at wages I don't want to pay or I end up just as short-staffed as I was before.

I freely admit that some of this stuff may already be in the game and I just haven't found it yet. Feel free to point that out if it is! Any other suggestions/ideas?

Guest markyosullivan

Great suggestions.

I also use my youth in the League Cup when I'm Chelsea and I also use my reserves and youth team if I've secured my final place in the league (usually 1st ;)) without the board and fans getting upset if we lose.

Another one that REALLY has to be included: Let me ask for more than one thing in a specific category in one chat! Seriously, i want to request a feeder and a parent club at the same time. Or ask for a youth and training facility expansion at the same time, not one day apart, geez...

I like them all.

Especially the one about resting players for dead rubber league games and cup games. I seem to recall that in FM11 the fans/board etc were supposed to realise when you made changes like that but they never do,

Its true, but actually its strange because the media realise this and usally ask something like "you must be happy for grab the win, while resting so many players", but the board/fans dont.

One thing thats also pretty stupid is when in the board confidence update you see "the fans are slightly disappointed with the departure of player XXXXX", and player XXXXX it's a crappy player from your reserve team, that never play a game in your first team.

Its true, but actually its strange because the media realise this and usally ask something like "you must be happy for grab the win, while resting so many players", but the board/fans dont.

One thing thats also pretty stupid is when in the board confidence update you see "the fans are slightly disappointed with the departure of player XXXXX", and player XXXXX it's a crappy player from your reserve team, that never play a game in your first team.

yer, and then you are forced to let one of your best players go and they think it s a good decision!

yer, and then you are forced to let one of your best players go and they think it s a good decision!

I had better than that in a previous savegame; they moaned at me for the departure of a player THEY'd accepted the bid for "on the management's behalf".

I had better than that in a previous savegame; they moaned at me for the departure of a player THEY'd accepted the bid for "on the management's behalf".

see i bought that up once. I got a bit hammered by the majority of people, but apparently (According to the ones who were not abusing me and just answering the question i asked) as the fans dont know who accepts bids etc they blame the manager.

I totally agree with all the points you raised Andy, especially the feeder/parent club one. Would be great to specify what you wanted from a club, whether that be country they are based in or league level, the potential commercial benefits of having a presence in another continent is something i would love to see in FM12 too.

really good topic of discussion, I hate it too when we as managers have no way of explaining actions. I think press conferences should some how give you the opportunity to fight your corner more effectively when things are going wrong. Also releasing statements about the seasons, not just about next opponents.

I had that after starting a new career. A backup goalie of mine was on loan in Greece with an option to buy since before I joined the club. The club payed, and the keeper left for greener pastures. Yet the fans think it was a poor decision on my behalf to let him go.

Archived