How can I tell my board to reduce my transfer budget?

This is getting ridiculous. In my Honvéd save my plan was to bring in good young players on next to nothing and sell most of them on years later for fistfuls of cash. This has three effects:

1. I have a very low wage budget, around £90-100k to be exact.

2. My club have needed to build a volt of their own for their mountains of cash, it's up around £200 million at the present time rising at £30-50 million a year.

3. I have a squad built of only the best of these players, giving me a good, young, hungry and very loyal squad.

The downside to all of this, my board are giving me a huge transfer budget because I'm selling more than I'm buying. The result:

1. They are now giving me a £266 million transfer budget, enough that if I spent it we'd go bankrupt.

2. This has in turn force me to have a wage budget now of £275k.

This in turn means that now if I negotiate with my players they are going to want fistfuls of cash themselves. This is in principal okay, however as I don't require this money and it'd be better just sitting in the bank in waiting for the day that I need it, then I'm not sure why they're letting me near this.

Oh well, the days of me having a cheap squad seem to be killed by the fact that the board are forcing me to spend my tons of pure cash!

I don't think you can. The board have given you that money as that's what they have budgeted for. It would be a nice feature to be able to sit down with the board/chairman and tell them of your plans. Unfortunately you can't do that. Infact, I'm sure managers would love to be in the position that you are. In real life. Be given a big budget and pretty much have no worries if they spent it.

Try and see if you can get facility improvements? So keep asking the board for improvements for that. Maybe ask them to relay the pitch as well. I know it won't make as much of difference but if it happens then you would see some money got towards that.

Adjust your budgets on the Boardroom screen to maximize transfer budget and minimize wage budget, then simply don't spend the transfer budget. Should keep wage demands down and leave the money in the bank.

Adjust your budgets on the Boardroom screen to maximize transfer budget and minimize wage budget, then simply don't spend the transfer budget. Should keep wage demands down and leave the money in the bank.

The problem is that the transfer budget is so big that the minimum wage they'll allow me to have is some 6 times my current wage budget. I guess that won't be the case for long. Whoo, massive wage inflation away!

The problem is that the transfer budget is so big that the minimum wage they'll allow me to have is some 6 times my current wage budget. I guess that won't be the case for long. Whoo, massive wage inflation away!

you could try to negotiate a massive pay rise for yourself when your contract needs renewing!!

This game really needs an option to request that the board take away some transfer budget with the way it acts at high budgets.

Oh well, the editor has sorted it out and now I only have £90 million instead of £266 million.

Is there even the most remote possibility to have the ability to ask your board to put your transfer budget to better use than just the playing staff in the future? This is a real problem if you are selling more valuable players than you are buying as your board will just let the figure run away.

Hm, I don't really think budgeting for large transfers is the issue - this is what clubs that can afford it do, even to larger sums than what's in the bank if prize money is expected in the near future. Technically I don't suppose having the players demand more from a club that they know is wildly profitable is wrong, either. SI could probably allow some more flexibility with the wage/transfer budget slider, but other than that, this all seems quite appropriate to me.

Hm, I don't really think budgeting for large transfers is the issue - this is what clubs that can afford it do, even to larger sums than what's in the bank if prize money is expected in the near future. Technically I don't suppose having the players demand more from a club that they know is wildly profitable is wrong, either. SI could probably allow some more flexibility with the wage/transfer budget slider, but other than that, this all seems quite appropriate to me.

The only thing of concern really was the slider being pushed to above 6-8 times my wage budget because "there was no excess wage to make more of a transfer budget". It isn't really that annoying, but still annoying enough that I wanted to stop it. So I've basically used an editor to take £200 mil off that budget. It's still £70 odd mil at the moment, which is ridiculous as I haven't had a net transfer spend yet. But hey, I just wish that I could outline what I need to the board a bit better.

So basically you want to be able to cheat, keep your wage budget artificially low, and thus your wages low?

Your club is bringing in a small fortune. It makes sense that players would want a bigger slice of that pie.

The only thing of concern really was the slider being pushed to above 6-8 times my wage budget because "there was no excess wage to make more of a transfer budget". It isn't really that annoying, but still annoying enough that I wanted to stop it. So I've basically used an editor to take £200 mil off that budget. It's still £70 odd mil at the moment, which is ridiculous as I haven't had a net transfer spend yet. But hey, I just wish that I could outline what I need to the board a bit better.

The wage increases probably aren't purely because your club has a larger budget. You need to consider that your club reputation is rising, the league's reputation is rising, and thus your players' reputations will be rising quicker than they ever have before. I find this all the time with my Hungary saves - as the league reputation goes up my players' reputations and values also go up and they thus end up wanting more money.

how can you edit you tansfer budget in the editor if the games so many years into football manager, i thought you could only edit at the start of the game? can you load a game into the editor

FMRTE (Football Manager Real Time Editor)

So basically you want to be able to cheat, keep your wage budget artificially low, and thus your wages low?

Your club is bringing in a small fortune. It makes sense that players would want a bigger slice of that pie.

The wage increases probably aren't purely because your club has a larger budget. You need to consider that your club reputation is rising, the league's reputation is rising, and thus your players' reputations will be rising quicker than they ever have before. I find this all the time with my Hungary saves - as the league reputation goes up my players' reputations and values also go up and they thus end up wanting more money.

FMRTE (Football Manager Real Time Editor)

The issue was actually more that the transfer and wage budgets were now far exceeding the amount of money the club actually had because I'd gotten it entire by selling players. On top of this forcing the club to have the wage budget up high was only occurring as I sold more players which led to the situation that selling players and hence bringing in more money was making the wage budget stupidly high for no particularly good reason. Not that it really mattered as during the time that it was up I renegotiated my entire squads wages and it was a rise of about ~10% across the board, about the same it is every time.

It's just a strange thing to happen and it seems the game gets confused when you have a huge transfer budget about what it's actually there from. But it seems that when you are in a situation that if you actually spent the money that they felt you could that you would put the club in £50-100 mil debt, then there's something going wrong.

In anycase, it's all better for me now, and things are back to how they should be seemingly.

I'd also point out that the wage budget has nothing to do with the reputation, as I said it was only forced up when I sold a couple of players over winter. In terms of my players reputation, that's always affected them and the rise is as I said around ~10% per season across the board (with a large amount of signing on fees, in truth in excess of their yearly wages). Strangely enough my best players wants relatively little in comparison to the rest of the squad though, and he's apparently the second best player in the World.

Dramatic much? Going into the editor to edit a budget that you dont even have to spend.

I know how to solve this, dont spend more money than you feel like you need to.

A 266m budget does not mean you have to spend 266m -_-''

Dramatic much? Going into the editor to edit a budget that you dont even have to spend.

I know how to solve this, dont spend more money than you feel like you need to.

A 266m budget does not mean you have to spend 266m -_-''

The issue was that it was forcing me to have a larger wage budget than was required, which was just annoying. It kept telling me that there was no excess to make a bigger transfer budget, despite having over 60-70% of my wage budget free.

Just buy a decent player you want (youth if needs be) for some silly amount of cash, also can you not decrease your wage budget with the interact with board bar?

That said im not sure I understand your problem. I dont think your players are asking for more cash cause you have available transfer budget, my players ask for more cash and I have none left to give! They are asking for bigger wages cause they have bigger reputations and your club is now regarded as 'big' and thus players expect bigger wages.

Just buy a decent player you want (youth if needs be) for some silly amount of cash, also can you not decrease your wage budget with the interact with board bar?

That said im not sure I understand your problem. I dont think your players are asking for more cash cause you have available transfer budget, my players ask for more cash and I have none left to give! They are asking for bigger wages cause they have bigger reputations and your club is now regarded as 'big' and thus players expect bigger wages.

That's the problem, they are saying that there "is no excess wage".

Just buy a decent player for tons of money?

...and what, ruin my club's finances, that's what I'm trying to avoid! It's just the wage budget that is annoying.

I'll again point out that my players don't want more money, they're apparently quite happy. Which surprises me.

I'd also point out that the wage budget has nothing to do with the reputation, as I said it was only forced up when I sold a couple of players over winter. In terms of my players reputation, that's always affected them and the rise is as I said around ~10% per season across the board (with a large amount of signing on fees, in truth in excess of their yearly wages). Strangely enough my best players wants relatively little in comparison to the rest of the squad though, and he's apparently the second best player in the World.

Assuming this is replying to the part of my post you quoted, I wasn't talking about your wage budget. :) The wage demands of your players have nothing to do with your wage budget, as far as I can tell. Rather, your players' wage demands will increase in line with the increased reputation of 1. your club 2. your players and 3. your league. Your opening post blames your increased wage budget for your players demanding more money - I don't think that's what's happening.

Assuming this is replying to the part of my post you quoted, I wasn't talking about your wage budget. :) The wage demands of your players have nothing to do with your wage budget, as far as I can tell. Rather, your players' wage demands will increase in line with the increased reputation of 1. your club 2. your players and 3. your league. Your opening post blames your increased wage budget for your players demanding more money - I don't think that's what's happening.

Give it a try. If you have a wage budget with massive excess your players will ask more. As I've said though, even on the wage budget 4 times my bill I renewed most of my players contracts and it wasn't exactly a dramatic increase (about 10%). However the issue is now that if I didn't get rid of that silly transfer budget (about 133% my clubs balance) then every time I sold a player it'd lock it at a higher and higher amount hence making selling players a bad thing. The issue isn't if my wage budget is 4-5 times my bill, but rather 10-20 times, in which case my players would essentially mutiny and demand Man City-esk amounts instead of what they're on right now.

The summarise:

1. Having massive budget excess does lead to players wanting more money than they would

2. My club has a transfer/wage bill that would bankrupt them if I actually used it

3. Selling players was leading to my wage bill be put (and locked) at higher and higher amounts

4. These all in turn lead to selling players being a negative action

5. Hence in order for the game to continue in a sane fashion, that is not having a £3 mil sale force the club into a £2 mil a week wage bill all of a sudden I needed to bring the transfer budget back within the clubs means

How did this problem occur:

1. I kept the club on low wages by offering rather large bonuses and signing on fees

2. I sold over a £290 mil worth of players whilst only bringing in around £50-100 mil

3. This discrepancy between the amount of money paid in wages (which is budgeted for in the wage bill) and the bonuses (which is not within the wage bill) led to me spending money that was not part of the wage/transfer duality

4. As such the club now allowed me to spend in great excess of what they had and in fact were set to force that upon me

This is a ridiculous situation, but one that should have at least some ability to be resolved as its actually a good thing gone too far. Surely we should have the ability to sit down with the management and discuss with them about our plans rather than them saying, he's the World have fun. I want my board to sit on that money and hold it for dear life, because we still need knew training facilities, youth facilities, youth recruitment and at some point a new stadium.

In fact, rather than a place and what they'll give you at the start of the season it should be more like this:

State your aims for the season and how much you need in your transfer/wage budgets.

They come with a counter offer of what they believe you should be doing and you rinse and repeat until you've got what you want. Basically a contract discussion, like with the players, just with the budget for the year. Surely that would be better than them giving you what they feel like.

You've got me worried now. I'm managing FC United and focusing on a youth policy. In 3 years I've bought 2 players and brought the rest in as unattached teenagers. I'm not spending my transfer budget and use 60% of my wage budget. The chairman has already sold 2 of my best prospects for silly money so we are swimming in cash. If he gets into a loop of selling my best regens and using that money to force up minimum wages I'll be well pi55ed. I rather suspect however, that so long as my club's reputation is increasing gradually and normally this won't happen.

Have you checked your club's reputation to see if it's taken an unnatural quantum leap?

You've got me worried now. I'm managing FC United and focusing on a youth policy. In 3 years I've bought 2 players and brought the rest in as unattached teenagers. I'm not spending my transfer budget and use 60% of my wage budget. The chairman has already sold 2 of my best prospects for silly money so we are swimming in cash. If he gets into a loop of selling my best regens and using that money to force up minimum wages I'll be well pi55ed. I rather suspect however, that so long as my club's reputation is increasing gradually and normally this won't happen.

Have you checked your club's reputation to see if it's taken an unnatural quantum leap?

The leap occurred when I sold players over the winter break. Not when my reputation changed or anything else. By removing the excess transfer budget it fixed the problem. It's entirely to do with having excessive amounts of transfer budget.

Also, I wouldn't be worried, as I said it was around £260 mil in the warchest before this happened.

...and what, ruin my club's finances, that's what I'm trying to avoid! It's just the wage budget that is annoying.

I'll again point out that my players don't want more money, they're apparently quite happy. Which surprises me.

How is that ruining your finances any more than editing your funds to a lower level?? Also if they are happy why is this any issue exactly? Just make use of your big wage budget by buying excess players to develop and just loan them out while continuing to pay their wages, or various other creative solutions.

And surely all clubs have a finite limit to what they earn? Your club can only earn X amount based on revenue so if you stop making vast sums of cash by developing players and selling them the funds will soon fritter away on paying the bills. Ultimately without human input your club would be earning a probably relatively small amount, so just dont sell players for big profits? I dont really understand why you even did it in the first place if you never intended on spending it tbh... Im just not seeing an issue except one you created (no offence intended btw just dont get your problem)

How is that ruining your finances any more than editing your funds to a lower level?? Also if they are happy why is this any issue exactly? Just make use of your big wage budget by buying excess players to develop and just loan them out while continuing to pay their wages, or various other creative solutions.

And surely all clubs have a finite limit to what they earn? Your club can only earn X amount based on revenue so if you stop making vast sums of cash by developing players and selling them the funds will soon fritter away on paying the bills. Ultimately without human input your club would be earning a probably relatively small amount, so just dont sell players for big profits? I dont really understand why you even did it in the first place if you never intended on spending it tbh... Im just not seeing an issue except one you created (no offence intended btw just dont get your problem)

I'm trying to build the club up, and that will take a lot of money. Having it in the bank is what the club needs, not having it sitting in my wallet waiting for some excuse to spend it. There are other uses for money than just me wasting it on rubbish. If I wasted my money willy nilly I wouldn't have any right now. By reducing the transfer budget my club still has the money, it's just not in my grubby mits and this issue where my board force the wage bill up to having a huge excess wage is avoided.

Also, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to come up with:

- I have lots of money, and I don't want it

- So why not burn it in a huge pile?!

Surely you can see it would be better to put it away in the bank so my board can invest in new training and youth facilities and maybe one day our own massive stadium.

Archived