Non nominated penalty taker takes pen?

Newcastle 0, Man City 2 (SWP - 2).

We win a pen, Tevez and Balotelli my first choice takers are on the pitch, think I have about 5 nominated players, bound to be others who were on the pitch. SWP isn't one of my takers (8 rating). He steps up and I scream at the monitor for Tevez to take it. He absolutely burries it, sends the keeper the wrong way.

WTF? How did this happen? Surely Tevez/Mario didn't politely let him have the chance of a hat trick, surely they are too greedy? :p

But seriously, why would he be taking it ahead of them?

To complete his hat-trick. Don't worry, it only happens in situations where the outcome of the penalty is relatively unimportant.

No it doesn't... ;)

I've seen it with critical penalties - though I don't have an example offhand as I usually just eyeroll and move on.

OK. On one of the previous FM's it was meant to only be non-important penalites.

It's either broken or changed for FM11.

I think it's a new feature on FM11. I can't remember penatlies being given to the guy on a hat trick before.

I was chuffed for him to get a hat trick as he had a blinder (9.7) of a game, he just tore through them the whole game as if they were staionary. But there was still a half hour to go and my heart started going mental when I saw him stepping up......if he missed I wouldnt have been too pleased......surely you nominate takers for a reason..... :)

Yeah, this happens all the time with FM11 now. One of my CDs had scored 2 goals in a match, which we then won a penalty in, and he stepped up and slammed the ball home as though he had been doing it his whole life in order to complete his hattrick. :p

I will never forgive Stevan Jovetic missing his penalty for his hattrick goal though. I don't recall if we won that game or not, I just remember him blasting it high and wide. Which was met with threats from me about how would he like me to kick him so he could follow the ball into Row Z.

Exactly. The manager can say what he likes before a game, but on the pitch, players can make their own decisions sometimes.

Yeah, and if you read the article the manager in question was furious about it and specifically stated it "won't happen again".

There should just be a tick box on the penalty takers screen if you want a two goal player to take a hat trick penalty.

Good idea ... but controversial and ambitious players might still override that sometimes, when they feel they deserve that hattrick. Then you can deal with it afterwards ;)

Archived