It's moments like this that remind me why I love FM so....

I'm managing Wrexham in the Conference currently and having rather a good time of it, if a little complacent in the matches against teams I really should beat. I've been hovering just outside the play-offs for some time now, after taking over from the sacked Dean Saunders near the start of the season. Somehow he had managed to leave Wrexham balancing precariously close to the relegation zone.

My real form has come in the FA Trophy though. I battled through a big quarter final against Woking thanks to a last minute header from my big center back only to be faced with a two-legged semi tie against league leaders, Cheltenham. We had met just a month ago in the league and drawn 0-0 but I was certainly feeling the butterflies about the two matches.

In the first leg we went 1-0 down to a goal that looked like it should have been disallowed for handball or never even allowed to happen because the scorer clearly hauled my center back to the ground. We equalised with a fortunate own goal, but lost the tie to a moment of switch off late in the game. I was surpised to go away from Cheltenham with just a 2-1 defecit because they had been much the better team.

The butterflies turned in to swallows for the second leg at home. I told the players they could win the game and they dutifully put in a display the prove it. They just couldn't find the net though, and Cheltenham were looking dangerous on the break. Only a superb save by my keep had denied them a goal which probably would have won the tie.

In a moment of inspiration my half time team talk had me telling the lads that the pressure was off and go and enjoy the match. They did...and boy how they did. We never looked like losing, mounting attack after attack, winning the ball superbly in midfield and showing the kind of performance that wins leagues. The final whistle delivered a final score of 3-nothing to us and we were on our way to Wembley on May 5th!

Never have I been through ups and downs like that...or not in recent history in FM anyway. I was nearly screaming at the game, despite being kind of a reserved guy and embarassed about what the neighbours might thing to hear me cheering imaginary goals. And Wrexham, not Bournemouth!

I love this game, and I'm looking forward to the final as much as many Bournemouth games in the real world.

So I've had my say. Anyone else want to share a moment that reminds you why FM is so damn amazing a game?

I had a moment in a FA Cup quarter final game as Manchester United against a vastly improved Newcastle side. I scored 2 goals in the first half and looked to be cruising going into half-time at 2-0 up where I said I was pleased. 20 mins and a Tevez hat-trick later I was 4-2 down and not knowing what had gone wrong. I went to overload and went 3-4-3 from 4-4-2, 5 mins later i'd brought it back to 4-4, it looked like going to a replay when I won a free-kick on the edge of the box after 92 mins which Bale scored from getting his first goal of the season. It's those moments that make be love the game, especially as this game only game 2 games after my England team beating Italy 6-4 in a friendly in a game which went 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-3, 4-3, 4-4, 5-4, 6-4. There is nothing like a high scoring thriller on FM

Earlier this evening...

Okay, so I know it's only the European Super Cup. It's a glorified friendly, really just a chance for some bigwigs to watch a game after the Champions League draw. But it's against a Spanish club, and I frigging hate playing against Spanish clubs. I can never seem to beat 'em. Not only that, but it's Atlético Madrid and flipping Sergio Agüero. What chance have my glorified boys' club from eastern Hungary? Especially with our talismanic star striker suspended. "Alright," says I. (No, really. I talk to myself all the time while playing FM.) "We can win this, but we're going to need to keep it tight."

Some tinkering and consultation with my outstanding assistant produces a defensive masterplan. And it works. Good gravy, does it work! Exiting the tunnel to the sounds of No Stress by Cyclefly, we proceed to play stress-free football for 82 solid minutes...

Then they score from a set piece - who the heck is Toby Alderweireld anyway? - and all hell breaks loose. We have ten minutes, tops, to salvage this. Problem is, my star central midfielder's gone missing - actually, both of my central midfielders went missing, but the other one's been replaced already - and the best option I have to replace him is a twenty-year-old glorified centre back who can pass a bit. Ah, sod it. On you go, kid.

Four minutes later, and the ball breaks to Abréu - the aforementioned kid clogger - who calmly squares it to the débutant Italian international I signed literally yesterday. Through ball to my star striker, who in turn squares the ball across the six yard line for the run of Bakari (easily the best 19 year old I've ever owned in FM, incidentally). Alderweirdly misses his interception, and it's 1-1. Game on! Must remember the wife's asleep...

Three minutes later, and disaster yet again. Muniain takes a clear dive on the edge of the penalty area chasing a through ball he's never getting to, and despite me having two other defenders in position to make the tackle the lunatic German ref sends my best centre back off. "It's a good thing I sent on that centre back," says I with a sigh. Bloody continental referees. Time to play for penalties.

And it works. Right up until the 94th minute, that is. That's the minute my Guinean left back - under pressure from the now-playing-right-midfield Alderwinger - goes all Scottish on me and hoofs the ball as far up the park as he can. Nyamsi's on to it in a flash as the Madrid defence is caught flat for just the briefest of moments. Through he goes, round the goalie, and strokes it into the empty net, and it's 2-1 to me in the 94th minute! And against a Spanish club no less! I spend the last few seconds of injury time just staring at the screen and chewing at the skin near my fingernails - the nails themselves have been chewed back too far already - until the aforementioned German lunatic blows for full time, and I've only gone and won the damned Super Cup.

But for some reason, it -feels- like I've won something worthwhile. And that's what really counts, in the end.

atmadridvafkszolnokinfo.png

After many years of playing CM/FM, I've completed my first unbeaten season in the English Premier League. Currently unbeaten in 53 matches in the league, and did reach 63 in all competitions before a shock loss in the ECC to Palermo.

Last game was a 2-2 draw at Arsenal, and I've never celebrated a draw so much. Shame the game doesn't replicate my feelings and fails to call my team "The Invincibles" or anything. All I got was my fans being disappointed that I conceded a late equaliser to Arsenal!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

ccfinal.jpg

Many downs and then a very rapid rise. Before being finished off with a very high up.

That's impressive. Had a similar one as Liverpool in the FA Cup Final against Everton. 2-0 down with 87 mins on the clock, managed to force extra-time and then win 3-2.

Not my biggest FM high, but I just had a fairly memorable result against Inter in the Champs League 2nd round. First leg was in Milan so I used my tried and tested (extremely reliable but utterly dull) 'Away' formation and got spanked 3-1 in a result that flattered us if anything. Next leg we had them back at Villa Park, which has been a fortress for me for a while now. We got the aggregate scoreline back to 3-3 thanks to two goals in the first 20 minutes before a manic last 10 minutes where they had a man sent off and a penalty turned down, and we had a goal disallowed; though our constant pressure eventually paid off and we got 2 goals in 2 minutes (88, 90) to put the game beyond doubt.

And then of course there is this completely mental League Cup Final:

2s611xh.jpg

Archived