How do YOU keep a good run of form going?

What are your methods for keeping a good run going? Saying certain things at press conferences, praising/criticising players, etc. I can't seem to get anything better than 3-4 games without struggling against someone I should really be beating quite comfortably. And its doing my head in!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Guest markyosullivan

I've only done this when my team is one of the top teams in the division.

I've done this a few times with Chelsea. Keep the in-form players in the squad, once a player starts to decline in form and someone else in the first team has a better form in 5 games, switch the players. Also send players who are off-form to the reserves until they start playing well again.

I have lots of long runs of form with my teams, often i only have small blips of around 5-8 games which cost me certain positions and oppotunities. But to keep a run of form going, i never praise my team too highly in the media. For example, i wouldnt say, i expect them to win the game, and that all areas of my team are brilliant etc etc. I say that they must keep working hard and stuff. Dont know if that effects much, but hey.

I also find that you need to play fresh players over the first team a lot of the time. For example, when I have a really good AMR and a standard AMR for the premiership, first teamer and sub. However when one of their fitness is below 90% i switch them over immediately. I always find that having a team as close to 100% fitness as possible is best for results. I also noticed it is a lot harder to play against a fully fit side.

Team talks, I never expect a win at the start of games. Use dont get complacent when the run has been going on for a while. And against big teams always use for the fans. At half times, never use angry or disappointed, even if the performance is ****. Always use either I want to see more from you (if you are losing and performing bad) Encourage (if you are losing/winning by a small margin, or drawing) and Pleased (if you are winning by 3 goals or more).

I will also suggest using the formation your team is most familiar with, or if you want them to play a certain style which causes them to change, and learn it, then dont expect results to come immediately and consistantly.

This is just my opinion and what works best for me btw :p so dont get angry if it doesnt work haha.

(if you really want i can go into team details, what type of attributes players need to have in certain positions and what formation I find works best etc)

Hope that solves your problem :)

I use Expect a Win when the assistant notes that my players believe they can just show up and win, and For the Fans if not. If the assistant has many individual instructions ready, I choose that. Young players and players with Okay or lower morale may get None, You have Faith or No Pressure according to what kind of personality they have.

Against weaker teams, I field an exclusively 2nd XI side, as they are often more motivated when they get to play and in addition it is easier to score when you don't dominate completely - sometimes the 1st XI is overpowerful and the match becomes a battle to break through the defenses of an opponent which is happy to lose with dignity. I believe that by reducing the CA total of your match squad, you actually increase your chances to win as long as the team is still better than the CA total of the opponent precisely because they may actually attempt to attack and thus give you the space you need.

Yea maybe i praise them a bit too much or criticise them too much when we are losing. I do find that playing my second string against the top sides sometimes provides suprising results though. I generally have a determined bunch of players, and i think my 4-4-2 generally provides me with good attacking play at least. Sometimes i do think i get caught out in that defensive midfield area, but i give that up a long time ago because i wasn't creating chances like i do now. Maybe i'll try keeping their feet on the ground a bit more and not be afraid to drop my star players.

I'm currently on a 44 match unbeaten run, and I think the main thing I do differently these days is to rest players for 1 day the day after a game. Every outfield player who started the game gets a rest, and their fitness is generally up to at least 98% before the next match (if playing 2 games a week). Also use squad rotation, but not too much. More Fergie style than Rafa style, ie. having a core group of 20 or so players who are all good enough for the level I am playing, with no real superstars (except maybe Hazard) but also no weak links.

Press conference - Always handle pre-match conferences. Don't be too confident in them. Even if favourites to win against delegation candidates. Never use the team is playing with confidence or the freedom of it. Say it more down to hard work and the sort. Questions related to motivation and complacency, you reply with "we have to be alert" and "we'll work even harder to ensure victory" etc. Assistant manager can handle post-match as he has a knack of praising players and keeping them happy. But pre-match I handle.

Team talks - Team talk is similar to AndyRich's, only, I never use "angry" and I use "expect a win" and I am heavily favoured. I also use "expect a performance" on players assistant reports to be over-confident, cocky etc. I sometimes use "none" at half-time if winning and playing very well. And I mostly use "none" at post-match and "well done" on a few occasions. Most praise they get is in private chat and that's like once every 3 weeks or so and only if they are listed under players in the confidence section.

Rotation - Tired players are not going to perform well. May sound well, but my key and first team players play 3 games and then squad rotation and hot prospects play the next two. I have no players set to backup and squad rotation is easier with a small squad. I never have more than 25 players in my first team and currently have 22. Having flexible players helps a lot as well. One of my fullbacks can play on both sides and one of my young defenders can on on all three (RLC). Same goes for my midfield and forward. My total squad size is 23 but I have one player out on loan at FC Bayern and he too is flexible (natural AMRL and accomplished in every midfield role).

Playing time keeps morale high (everyone is on superb, except for 3 who are on very good), it keeps the players happy and playing time helps youngsters develop as well. It also keeps the squad fit. Only one injury at the moment, and I have 5 players who can easily play in his position and do a fine job. Oh, and I tend to sub players in matches when their condition drops to 73%.

Currently on a 39 match unbeaten run with 17 straight wins.

Archived