Longest goal drought for one of your strikers

Just reading though my messages after a game against Aston Villa and saw that there was a message saying that Neymar was relieved to score, now usually when i see these its maybe just about 300 mins or so, to say i was suprised to see it say 23 hours is an understatement (and yes it prob is my tactics).

goaldrought.png

Filippo Inzaghi scored a grand total of NO goals in an entire league season for my Sunderland team on FM10. Wasn't happy because I was paying the offsidious Italian £50,000 a week!

Yes, I've coined the word offsidious :)

Damn - did you sell him after that?

Hmm seems Neymar's finally worked out how to score as he's just put one against Wolves in the 6th min of the FA Cup final for me :)

Was suprised by the time it had taken as he'd joined in the Jan transfer window - so guessing he scored a few goals when he joined then gone on his goal drought :(

I had around 1500 minutes where one of my backup all-round forward finally got a rare game up front (I deployed him on the wings) and actually scored. So those 1500 minutes were actually distributed over 3-4 seasons! All those last-minute substitutions and token "close out the game and don't go anywhere near the goal" games finally paid off.

How many of them have been played as a striker?

The game doesn't seem to realise when a player is actually being used as a striker, and when they are able to play as a striker but don't.

I had a Sunderland save shortly after this game came out and I had a DM who could also play as an MC, AMC or ST. He played every single game for me as a DM and towards the end of the season I got a message after he scored saying it was 48 hours since his last goal, 32 games. If he was actually playing as a striker this would be remarkable but the game fails to recognise that he was in a position where he was never even close to the oppositions area.

48 appearances, I'm guessing approximately half were from the bench, and a third were in some capacity as a midfielder. Apparently it had been so long that even FM lost count and it didn't give me the news article. 546 days of total frustration :(

I had two on the go at one point. One was top scorer, he went on a barren run because I moved him on the subs bench after some pretty lacklustre performances. 652 minutes later he finally nets the luckiest goal ever. Open goal, taps it tamely and it was so going wide but edged in off the post. All that was needed though he banged them in regularly for the final run up in the season then. O_o

Benni McCarthy went three seasons without scoring a goal for me, then off to Everton where he never found the net before retiring. I had him in Reserves, and he maybe played four games a season when I was in a strike crisis, and even then, I’d have preferred to change my formation than use him. Everton used him very sparingly, more or less cup games and as a late sub.

Had a regen striker get a broken leg once, when he was fit and playing again he didn't score for about 2 and a half seasons. Had a fair few assists, but never scoring. Was pretty prolific before the injury too. Got rid of him after that

My star striker, Mathias Pogba, is currently sitting at 1241 minutes without a goal (that's about 20 hours). His loanee partner, Jon-Paul Pittman, ain't far behind himself. You might think, then, that I'd be struggling at the foot of the table, but I've been fighting for a play-off spot most of the season. Whatever I do, though, I can't get Pogba to start scoring again. I even put him in the reserves for their last match and the AssMan chose someone else.

The next match should be interesting. Chelmsford's Sam Higgins is on a goal drought of 1255 minutes. If he scores and Pogba don't, I'll shoot my monitor.

The next match should be interesting. Chelmsford's Sam Higgins is on a goal drought of 1255 minutes. If he scores and Pogba don't, I'll shoot my monitor.

Good job I don't have a gun, bow and arrow or anything else that shoots. Otherwise I'd have no monitor.

Isn't it just sod's law that the only other striker with a longer goal drought than mine should score against me?

• 2 weeks later...

My best striker (and a club legend at 21) had a 12 hour goal drought this season. He ended it in a cup game against Haladas (Hungarian League). The score of 0-0 at 30 minutes and he scored hattrick in about 7 minutes, set up another one, scored another one and won a corner for another to make it 6-0 at half time. He wasn't finished there though scoring a further two and adding an assist to get 6 goals and 2 assists in a 10-0 victory.

• 7 months later...

Thought I might as well up this rather than start a new one:

I've got Romelu Lukaku on loan to Everton(1st season) and after a good start of scoring 11 goals in his first 20 games he's currently on a run of 16 hours without goal and his average rating and morale are plummeting too. He's not even starting every game for Everton now due to his terrible form. Unfortunately as he's on a season long loan I can't recall him and so there's nothing I can do to help him. Is this likely to be severely detrimental to his development as a footballer?

• 5 years later...

Archived