Can't offer contract to out of contract players?

For some reason (I think since the update) I cannot offer anyone a free transfer? There is a message saying the board will only sanction it if its free, but there is no option to offer a contract, only make a transfer bid to the club in the normal fashion. Has anyone else had this?

For some reason (I think since the update) I cannot offer anyone a free transfer? There is a message saying the board will only sanction it if its free, but there is no option to offer a contract, only make a transfer bid to the club in the normal fashion. Has anyone else had this?

Can I ask what team you're currently managing, and at what team the player you're trying to sign is currently contracted to? And how long it is until their contract expires? There are rules in some countries that prevent you from making an offer to sign a player on a bosman free transfer until it's much closer to the expiration date of their current deal than the commonly expected 6 months.

For example, if you're managing in England and wish to offer a contract to a player with a soon to be expiring deal also at an English club, you have to wait until one month before their current deal ends.

• SI Staff

Is it possible your club is bankrupt or seriously over budget and your board are trying to stop you from spending for this reason .... and that the player is still associated with a club so there would be a payment involved? (for instance signing a youngster from another club while he's under contract but near expiry).

(if not then please forward me the save game - marc.vaughan@sigames.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you)

Archived