Belgian league error or what?

Basically, I randomly had a look at the Belgian League and found out that Gent are champions ahead of Anderlecht although they had same points, however I look at the league rules and it is based on games won which is both level, then it is decided on GD, although Anderlecht is much higher than Gent really in every department. What is the explanation of how Gent are awarded the title or is this a bug ?

nd7q4z.jpg

I quote:

"Each team starts with half of the points they won in the regular season. Points are rounded up to the nearest integer. At the end of the play-offs 1, the first-placed team becomes the champion of Belgium. If some teams are level in the ranking, any points added due to rounding are first withdrawn from their total points if applicable, before other criteria are taken into account."

Thanks for that, but can you explain how this relates to Gent winning the title, still a little confused as when I looked at the rules it said based on games won and GD

You looked at the rules for the league, rather than the rules for the championship group.

I assume this means that Gent finished with 48 points and Anderlecht with 47½, which got rounded up to 48; the first step is to strip out Anderlecht's extra half-point from rounding.

This sounds about right.

Without us seeing the league table, it's hard to do the math! :)

No guys, afraid not more confusion! Anderlecht and Gent both finished on even points as I am about to show, so still confused:(

Well following on from SWaRFeGa earlier posts:

Andelecht would start the Championship group with 32pts (half of 64) while AA Gent would start the group with 27pts (half of 54).

No bonus was gained due to rounding but I suspect AA Gent would win on the basis they gained more points in the Championship Group - They both finished on 48pts so Anderlecht picked up 16pts from the last 10 games while AA Gent picked up 21pts. I can't say for certain without seeing the rules for the Championship Group and I'm at the wrong stage of the season in my save to see them.

Anderlecht threw it away!!

Gent record in the Championship group = W6 D3 L1 21 points Scored 20 goals Conceded 1 goal # Goal dif = +19

Anderlecht record in the Championship group = W4 D4 L2 16 points Scored 17 goals Conceded 15 goal # Goal dif = +2

Gotta treat it as a different table, even thought they are visually combined.

Anderlecht threw it away!!

Gent record in the Championship group = W6 D3 L1 21 points Scored 20 goals Conceded 1 goal # Goal dif = +19

Anderlecht record in the Championship group = W4 D4 L2 16 points Scored 17 goals Conceded 15 goal # Goal dif = +2

Gotta treat it as a different table, even thought they are visually combined.

Almost right, the deciding factor is games won in the playoffs.

Complete rules:

1. Points

2. Matches Won

3. Goal Difference

4. Goals scored

5. Away goals scored

6. Away matches won

7. Testmatches

Yes, we know, and we are sorry. That's what we get for letting the clubs decide how they want the league. And if you think the play-off system system is overly complicated and unfair, wait till you see our government system.

BTW: IRL Standard almost grabbed the title after having their 16 point gap after 30 games reduced to just 8 points in the play offs. They were poor all season, only getting into the playoff 1 on the last day. Apparently they'd been saving up for the last 10 matches of the season, since those seem to be the only ones that count. (They missed the title on the last day though, after having their star player getting kicked in the face. About every bone there was broken, as well as losing a few teeth. A well deserved yellow card for the defender that did it)

Are you an Anderlecht supported eldereth? and also why would clubs vote to indtroduce this?

Because they think that with this system there's more high profile games so their players will get better faster. That's the official reason. The real reason is €€€€€€€€€€€.

Archived