Engine suggestions for 2012

Howdy there. First id like to say im an huge fan of the series, and ive been playing FM since its early days. But theres a couple of things id love to see in the game, that never quite make it, and they are:

. I really dont like how good players, especially forward players, impact the game. Sometimes a good player like CR or Rooney, or any other skillful and fast player picks the ball midfield, and they just run to the goal. And these kind of plays are incredibly common. These are one of a kind plays in real life, and you rarely ever see them in highlights. These shouldnt happen so often. And part of the problem is probably because of my second argument below

. Player mark is still incredibly lacking. We should be able to see more than 1man marking players. In real life you see the good players being teamed up by 2, sometimes even 3 players, making it incredibly difficult for them to keep the ball for too long, or even dribbling efficiently. Maybe the problem i stated above has something to do with the fact that only 1 player goes for the challenges, and a single skilfull forward can go against 5 or 6 defenders and still score with incredible ease. If you have 4 defenders just sitting there, and only 1 forward running to the goal, theres no sense in having only one of them going for the challenge. I know its a game and it cant be 100% accurate with real life football or it would be dull, but this is something id love to see implemented. Having defenders team up should significantly increase the chance of stealing the ball imo.

Thats it, i hope someone takes the time to read, and more people give their inputs on the ideas.

cheers

1- disagree :at the beginning, i felt it is more rare in FM tbh than IRLas i put always fast strikers upfront and am not that rewarded as often as you think even facing slower defenders, so sure we don't need to make it even worst. anyway after many games, i come into conclusion that FM setting is right. certainly we don't need to reduce that.

2- hmm difficult to say, i think defensive marking is ok (aside in crosses as strikers have always unfair advantage over defenders) , may be in mid, i look to UTD or city they tend to surround players with 2-3, while in FM, is kind much more open for midfielders to go and score long shoots. so may be we need better positioning and marking in mid.

Howdy there. First id like to say im an huge fan of the series, and ive been playing FM since its early days. But theres a couple of things id love to see in the game, that never quite make it, and they are:

. I really dont like how good players, especially forward players, impact the game. Sometimes a good player like CR or Rooney, or any other skillful and fast player picks the ball midfield, and they just run to the goal. And these kind of plays are incredibly common. These are one of a kind plays in real life, and you rarely ever see them in highlights. These shouldnt happen so often. And part of the problem is probably because of my second argument below

. Player mark is still incredibly lacking. We should be able to see more than 1man marking players. In real life you see the good players being teamed up by 2, sometimes even 3 players, making it incredibly difficult for them to keep the ball for too long, or even dribbling efficiently. Maybe the problem i stated above has something to do with the fact that only 1 player goes for the challenges, and a single skilfull forward can go against 5 or 6 defenders and still score with incredible ease. If you have 4 defenders just sitting there, and only 1 forward running to the goal, theres no sense in having only one of them going for the challenge. I know its a game and it cant be 100% accurate with real life football or it would be dull, but this is something id love to see implemented. Having defenders team up should significantly increase the chance of stealing the ball imo.

Thats it, i hope someone takes the time to read, and more people give their inputs on the ideas.

cheers

I've just been lucky enough to get a regen in my youth team who is top quality! In his last match I was sat in absolute awe at his movement and reading of the game.. he was just too good for the defenders, it was incredible!

One move he picked the ball up on the wing and played it inside, three passes later my MCd has the ball and plays it into what I thought was space behind the defence (as in giving the ball away) and I was amazed to see the kid on the end of the pass... he gets in awesome positions... he makes unbelievable runs... he reminds me of Rooney but a smaller lighter version. He's into everything, comes back and defends, plays the ball off, and the next time you see him he's in a good position..

I can see exactly how he influences the game, and I am stunned at how good he looks in the 3D ME. This isn't just "pick the ball up and run to goal" this is true passing and movement at it's best, and he's very good at it and I am very, very pleased :D

I agree with the first of point but it's really related with the importance of pace in the match engine.

Get someone with massive physical stats (acceleration,agility,balance,pace) and they just skin everyone even if they don't have really good technical or mental skills, i realize that pace is important for some players IRL but in my opinion it's still way too important in the match engine and i'd really like to see it toned down.

I agree with the first of point but it's really related with the importance of pace in the match engine.

Get someone with massive physical stats (acceleration,agility,balance,pace) and they just skin everyone even if they don't have really good technical or mental skills, i realize that pace is important for some players IRL but in my opinion it's still way too important in the match engine and i'd really like to see it toned down.

isn't that what give CR the edge IRL? or even allow a clueless player like Walcott to play in big clubs? acceleration and pace are vital in modern football

no way FM need to be tunning this one down. FM need to match what happen IRL.

is already tuned down in FM, i seen a slow tired defender getting to the ball faster than my freshed determined pacey striker (with good anticipation) !! if anything, FM should increase that not tune it down.

To an extent but CR's got quite some ability besides his pace.

Out of that Inter team that won the Champions League how many players had blistering pace besides Eto'o? Maicon? Can't think of anyone else.

I understand that physical ability is very important but it's far from being the most important factor in my opinion, England has arguably the best athletes in the world of Football, yet they constantly fail to deliver on international competions.

Specially when the game gets regen-filled it's really one-dimensional, the AI will just sign players with massive pace, they don't play an intelligent striker or target man combined with a poacher, they just sign two strikers with massive pace that just dribble around half team!

I'd like to see long shots limited somewhat and a better representation of goalkeepers in the game. Sometimes they just look stupid. The "hollywood" goals get silly at times, especially 40 yarders floating into the top corner or whatever. I'll point out I don't MIND long shot goals, but the style of them or the frequency needs to be pulled down a bit more. Anything 18 yards and just around the box is much more common imo than goals from miles out.

A better link with the commentary. Too many times I've had "controversial" goals that my striker CLEARLY handballed when the ball arrived plainly at his feet... It didn't even get off the ground, he didn't bend over or have his arms/hands anywhere but the conventional position in human beings. There's no need for a handball call. Unless again, the ME isn't doing the job properly but eh.

I'd like a bit more transparancy on what is a foul, what is contact and so on in scuffles. Plenty of times I've seen a player go down and wondered if he got his leg snapped or if he just trod on the ball like a pillock after a player closes him down and tweaks him on the bum.

Not too sure what else though. =)

Yeah i agree with the problem over the fouls, especially when a player gives away a penalty it's very hard to tell what happened and then when you come out of the match your assistance always says he didn't see it and to think i'm paying him for this?!

To an extent but CR's got quite some ability besides his pace.

Out of that Inter team that won the Champions League how many players had blistering pace besides Eto'o? Maicon? Can't think of anyone else.

I understand that physical ability is very important but it's far from being the most important factor in my opinion, England has arguably the best athletes in the world of Football, yet they constantly fail to deliver on international competions.

Specially when the game gets regen-filled it's really one-dimensional, the AI will just sign players with massive pace, they don't play an intelligent striker or target man combined with a poacher, they just sign two strikers with massive pace that just dribble around half team!

sure CR has other skills in his belt aside from pace, but it is his pace and acceleration which is a vital part of why he is a great player, same for Henry. look to same Henry when he get older and lost good punch of his pace, not really as good as before, well other skills should had improved within the years as he is getting more experienced isn't? so why that big drop in form if pace was not an important factor in his quality as a player ?

Walcott is big example of how an average player can get as much high for a player just for pace.

Valencia in UTD too, his pace is what make him so good, his other skills is not that better than any other UTD players

why you think Sir Alex is feed up with Berbatov, he is too slow for UTD style of play, and he is far skillful than any UTD players, and not even picked among UTD subs at CL final.

I think you really underestimate the power of psychical attributes in modern football mate

I'd like to see long shots limited somewhat and a better representation of goalkeepers in the game. Sometimes they just look stupid. The "hollywood" goals get silly at times, especially 40 yarders floating into the top corner or whatever. I'll point out I don't MIND long shot goals, but the style of them or the frequency needs to be pulled down a bit more. Anything 18 yards and just around the box is much more common imo than goals from miles out.

A better link with the commentary. Too many times I've had "controversial" goals that my striker CLEARLY handballed when the ball arrived plainly at his feet... It didn't even get off the ground, he didn't bend over or have his arms/hands anywhere but the conventional position in human beings. There's no need for a handball call. Unless again, the ME isn't doing the job properly but eh.

I'd like a bit more transparancy on what is a foul, what is contact and so on in scuffles. Plenty of times I've seen a player go down and wondered if he got his leg snapped or if he just trod on the ball like a pillock after a player closes him down and tweaks him on the bum.

Not too sure what else though. =)

100% agree

and want to add crossing, is really frustrating when my better defenders in air and anticipation lose to worst strikers just because the game give more advantage for strikers in crosses , if that is true why Vidic always have more advantage IRL? that force me now to play crossing game which i don't like just to exploit that advantage, unrealistic.. Barca or spain will not have same success in FM as they don't play crossing games.

and agree either the game provide more information or make commentary more detailed, i can't really tell if my def is bad or it is poor ref decision, as a manager you need to know that so you start making changes in the team

Archived