Why Am I Conceding Goals?

Basically I was hoping to go all season without conceding. I have opted for a 5-5-0 formation with every player set to a Defensive role and still I am conceding goals? Why is this happening? I can't get anymore defensive than this? Anyone help?

I would opt for a more traditional formation.

And I would ignore the aim of trying not to concede all season.

Alright cool thanks. Just an idea but if I play all my Goalkeepers at CB will they still be allowed to use their hands?

This is surely a joke?

You could play a 10-0-0 formation and still concede. Infact, if I was the ref I would abadon the game on principle and give you a 3-0 loss.

Well that's not really fair, we are quite a force on the counter attack.

Probably 5-3-2 or 5-4-1. It's probably best to have a man up front even if you don't intend to score because a direct ball away from your end can be a life saver (as opposed to just thumping the ball upfield straight back to the opposition).

Yeah point taken. What striker role should I set to my lone forward? Poacher, Advanced Forward? I know I should look and see what would suit the players individual attributes but at the same time he needs to fit into the team system.

Ok, but if he is coming deep to look for the ball then I am going to have no players ahead of the play? Would it be better to employ a playmaking AM or CM or perhaps some supporting wide players to create opportunities for my lone striker. Basically if I'm having a lone striker then I need to be my goalscoring threat and if hes coming deep to support then he's not a threat as such.

Well it all depends on how good he is at Dribbling and his Pace/Acceleration as he can receive the ball from deep and then run onto goal past defenders. If he is not so good at this then yes either employ an AMC or AML/AMRs to run ahead of him and receive the ball.

What is the most defensive standard formation you can play whilst still having that attacking outlet that you illuded to?

Alluded? Surprising for someone who dismissed someone else as 'not being very bright'.

I would say a 4-1-4-1 formation. The defensive midfielder should play as a DM or Anchor Man to protect the back 4. Put full backs on defensive duty.

The midfield 4 is where you need to keep possession, keep shape and break forwards. Don't be afraid to let the wingers burst forward to hit the opposition on the counter attack.

The 1 striker should be good at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. Doesn't necessarily need to be big and tall, but does need to be able to keep possession.

Alluded? Surprising for someone who dismissed someone else as 'not being very bright'.

I would say a 4-1-4-1 formation. The defensive midfielder should play as a DM or Anchor Man to protect the back 4. Put full backs on defensive duty.

The midfield 4 is where you need to keep possession, keep shape and break forwards. Don't be afraid to let the wingers burst forward to hit the opposition on the counter attack.

The 1 striker should be good at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. Doesn't necessarily need to be big and tall, but does need to be able to keep possession.

I won't be taking advice from a guy who has mistaken the location part of his profile for a place to display his managers reputation. Wily old manager? Senile old bed wetter is probably closer to the truth. Don't worry I'm sure there is a way on making the font bigger on your screen Grandad.

This thread will now be closed due to it turning into petty insults.

If you want advice on a defensive formation and tips on how to defend check out the tactics forum, there are plenty of helpful users in there.

Archived