Why do I keep losing in my second season?

First off, this is not a complaint thread, I would just like some reasoning on why this is happening and how to improve on it. I've tried two Newcastle saves in the last few weeks. On the first one, I managed to get 6th in the league and also win the League Cup in the first season. In my second season, I sat around 13th, losing in the Europe Cup group stage as well as losing in one of the first rounds of the League Cup. I then decided to try it again with a different formation in a different save, so I started over buying a completely different team, somewhat better in my opinion. I managed to get 6th amazingly again, this time losing in one of the League Cup rounds as well as losing in the FA Cup. The next season went horribly wrong again, I didn't qualify for Europe this time, but that didn't matter. I used the exact same tactic as the first season, and voilà, I was sitting in fourteenth, much like the second season of a different tactic and squad I happened to be playing earlier. Why do I keep doing so horribly in the second season? Is it the players I buy? Is it my tactics, should I be changing throughout seasons? I'd just love to know, as I want to grow to be a better manager and understand why I'm not doing as well as I did in my first season. Any help would be appreciated :).

Try using Wingers instead of Wide Recievers and Playmakers instead of Quarterbacks. The referees are getting a lot stricter on players picking up the ball and throwing into the End Zone in the modern English game. Let me know if this helps mate.

Try using Wingers instead of Wide Recievers and Playmakers instead of Quarterbacks. The referees are getting a lot stricter on players picking up the ball and throwing into the End Zone in the modern English game. Let me know if this helps mate.

I have to admit I laughed a little bit. I despise of American 'football' though. :D

I like the cut of your jib Dune297. Try something new tactically. Maybe the other teams have sussed you out as a one trick pony?

Haha, after reading the thread Cougar was so kind to link for me, I happened to include that I should definitely try that :).

Archived