••• FM 2011 Commentary Pack V5 •••

••• FM 2011 Commentary Pack V5 •••

Current version: 5

Released: Wednesday 1st June 2011

New lines added for this release: 180

Version 6 release is scheduled for: Thursday 30th June 2011

New lines added for Version 6 (so far): 0

What is this?

This pack replaces the original ‘events’ file in FM 2011 with changed commentary lines that display at the foot of the screen on match days. It’s an on-going project which has the ultimate aim of replacing the original lines that are provided with the original Sports Interactive FM 2011 game.

What language(s) is it written in?

Currently, the pack contains English commentary only and it will not work if any other languages are selected for your game play. We would like to be able to issue the pack as a multi-language one but translating the lines is beyond our capability.

Will this work with earlier versions of Football Manager?

The short answer is probably not. The longer answer is that if you are using FM 2009 for example, the game can’t read the extra lines included in FM 2011. This might cause your game to crash as a consequence. If anyone would like the commentary pack adapting for earlier versions, just PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Can I suggest some lines for inclusion?

Yes of course you can, and please feel free to do so. We would ask that any submissions be kept clean and non-racist or offensive in any way. Also, try to avoid events that may be happening in the real football world today as, whilst they may be apt and funny now, they will quickly become outdated and inappropriate.

Does this mean I can’t ask for “They think it’s all over” for example, to be added?

Something of this nature is different and has to be considered a classic football quote so yes, this kind of thing would be okay to submit.

Please bear in mind though that, owing to the structure of the events config itself, it may not be possible to include some suggestions. As an example, asking for lines that relate to the start of the second half are not possible as there are no original lines for this in the game. Generally speaking, we can only change lines, not add them if they don’t already exist.

Do I have to start a new game to use this?

No you don’t. Once you have it installed, all you have to do is load up Football Manager and the new lines will show up.

Do I have to install any previous updates first then this one?

No you don’t. Each update includes all the previous ones so you only ever need to install the current version available to use the pack.

Sounds good, where can I get it from?

You can download the current commentary pack from here:

Filefront Downloads so far: 0

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20389694/Commentary+Version+5.rar

Mediafire Downloads so far: 0

http://www.mediafire.com/?vsavi0xukj0wsa1

Sendspace Downloads so far: 0

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zcu4fk

Okay, I’ve downloaded it. Now what do I do?

First of all, you’ll need to unpack it with Winrar or a similar application. I advise unpacking it to your desktop or some other easily accessible place.

Once you’ve done that, you will have a file named ‘events’. Now this file needs to be put in your events folder. The location of this folder depends on how you installed FM 2011.

1) If you’ve installed FM 2011 ‘out of the box’ (not via steam) and you have no updates installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011/data/events ••

Once you have your events folder open you have two options. Either copy or move the downloaded events file into the events folder and let it overwrite (replace) the original file already there.

If you don’t want to overwrite the file (you may want to change back to the original if you decide you don’t like the download for example) then just rename the original to something like events2. This will then make the downloaded file the ‘active’ one – the one that will show in your game. Now load up FM 2011 and you’re away.

2) If you’ve installed FM 2011 ‘out of the box’ (not via steam) and you have Patch 1110 installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1110\events ••

3) If you’ve installed FM 2011 ‘out of the box’ (not via steam) and you have Patch 1120 installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1120\events ••

4) If you’ve installed FM 2011 via steam and you have no updates installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011\data\events••

Again, you can choose to overwrite or rename the original events file as you wish.

5) If you’ve installed FM 2011 via steam and you have update 11.1 installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011\data\updates\update-1110\events••

There will be no original events file in this folder so just put your downloaded events file in here.

ok .. am new to that.. never tired it

can you tell us the most important Qs, why i should download it ? what difference it will make? will be better or is just a change so we don't get bored?

Guest markyosullivan

Can you give us a preview? I'm interested but I'm not going to download it without seeing a preview of a few lines that are included.

Sounds really interesting. I have a couple of questions though..

1) if for what ever reason I don't like it, how do I remove the pack without interferring with the original commentary?

2) does the commentary pack replace the original FM lines or does it add to it?

ok .. am new to that.. never tired it

can you tell us the most important Qs, why i should download it ? what difference it will make? will be better or is just a change so we don't get bored?

Almost impossible to answer these questions correctly as it's down to personal opinions I guess. Some people may think it's better than the original commentary, some won't. All I can say is there are different/alternative commentary lines to the original ones.

Can you give us a preview? I'm interested but I'm not going to download it without seeing a preview of a few lines that are included.

Here's a few lines picked at random:

I thought the result was in but <t> had other ideas!

One moment you think they'd concede a goal. The next they're going after one!

The attack deteriorates faster than Fabio Capello's World Cup!

And that's number three! This is one classy debut for <p1>!

There's no such thing as a lost cause to this team!

They certainly know how to please the fans don't they?

One touch to set the ball, another to slot it home!

Penalty shootout! So, how are your nerves?

Sounds really interesting. I have a couple of questions though..

1) if for what ever reason I don't like it, how do I remove the pack without interferring with the original commentary?

2) does the commentary pack replace the original FM lines or does it add to it?

1) Before you install the pack, rename the original 'events' file to something like 'events2'. This will prevent the pack overwriting the original so if you ever want to go back to using the original commentary, just delete (or move elsewhere) my commentary file and then rename the original back to 'events'.

2) The commentary replaces the original FM lines completely.

1) Before you install the pack, rename the original 'events' file to something like 'events2'. This will prevent the pack overwriting the original so if you ever want to go back to using the original commentary, just delete (or move elsewhere) my commentary file and then rename the original back to 'events'.

2) The commentary replaces the original FM lines completely.

Nice one, thanks :thup:

First time I use this,sure does spice up the game a bit.

Default comments are a but dull and can ruin the game a bit because when I see some comments I already know what's going to happen cause they seem to follow some pattern unfortunately.

Almost impossible to answer these questions correctly as it's down to personal opinions I guess. Some people may think it's better than the original commentary, some won't. All I can say is there are different/alternative commentary lines to the original ones.

i see..

the only think i expect from good commentary, is to describe the event correctly , as Match animation sometimes dosen't tell alot, so i rathar have a dull commentary like "foul ..player (X) catch player (Y) leg.. sound harsh" rathar than "harsh harsh .. never a foul".. do you see what i mean?

i see..

the only think i expect from good commentary, is to describe the event correctly , as Match animation sometimes dosen't tell alot, so i rathar have a dull commentary like "foul ..player (X) catch player (Y) leg.. sound harsh" rathar than "harsh harsh .. never a foul".. do you see what i mean?

Ah yes, I do see what you mean.

Yes I feel it's important to have supportive commentary, particularly if the user prefers not to play in 3D, which is something I try to bear in mind all the time. Can be a bit of a balancing act at times!

Ah yes, I do see what you mean.

Yes I feel it's important to have supportive commentary, particularly if the user prefers not to play in 3D, which is something I try to bear in mind all the time. Can be a bit of a balancing act at times!

tbh even in 3D mode is useful, as camera is a bit far and FM ME don't have all animations for all events

will try your patch

thanks again

Archived