FIFA and the Mess it is in...

How might it affect future versions of FM?

For example if a few FAs break away, there would be huge licensing issues as i doubt both wouldn't want to be in the same game. Also the amount of coding that would have to go in to the changes would be a heavy workload.

discuss

Very good question. While to be honest, I can't see FA's breaking away as I'm unsure about the relationship between FIFA and UEFA, but the financial ramifications for individual teams would be immense. It would break the whole system. Like it or not there is now an interdependence between national football associations and the governing body.

As far as the games portrayal... I'm sure there must have been events in the past where changes have been made but I'm sure that there is a way it would be incorperated.

It's the same as the Formula 1, to be honest (not sure how many people here follow F1 though...)

The FIA and the FOTA (governing body and teams association respectivley) both keep threatening different things. The FIA try to maintain control, the FOTA threaten to break off and make their own series. The FIA know the threats are empty though, because F1 is still the pinnacle and as such other teams will take their place, and a breakaway series wouldn't (In my opinion) be succesful. In the same way, the FA can't afford to break away, because then they wouldn't be in European tournaments. If players can't play in the Champions League, they'll go somewhere where they can. The Premier League would then become weaker, and they would have no say in anything because, rather than being the best league in the world (arguably) they would be just another league.

At least, that's how I see it, though I may have misinterpreted. I doubt they will break away though.

There is more likely to be a boycott of National events than a breakaway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is already another unofficial World Cupv (The VIVA World Cup and The FIFI Wild Cup), comprised of teams (usually islands, colonies and autonomous regions) that are not part of FIFA. Some federations could possibly pull away from FIFA and join this. It is highly unlikely though, especially seeing that 172 members voted to not delay the election and essentially hand another term to Blatter.

Archived