Best version of football manager

Right Guys,

Time to decide, what is the best version of Football Manager ? Please let me know what you think is the best version so far also why you think it is and how close you feel the game is to reality.

Ill start of with my choice which has to be my beloved FM2007 , i feel this version was very close to real life also it didnt seem to buggy.

neeee naawwww neeee naaawww forum police.. Only joking mate, yeh theres lots of these threads but my answer would be fm07

CM 03/04- was easy to get into, not tedious at all. You could basically use the default 4-4-2 tactic and win the treble with a team like Arsenal. All you needed to concentrate on was picking a team, substitutions, contract & transfers, basically.

FM07- was fun as well, but in the "tedious tactics" era. Once your tactic was alright it was relatively straigh forward getting succes. Great regens as well.

FM11- Simply the best. This version made me fall in love again, due to the user interface, steam connection, tactic creator, ability to ask for new stadium, agents etc. Just an awesome, user friendly simulator. Fully patched, this is the ****.

I've had one of my best ever saves on FM10 but I'd probably actually say FM08 in answer to this question.

Anything pre-FM07 would be too basic to go back to now, in my opinion. To go back to FM07 itself would be quite a step back in the match engine department and you'd have to start scouting those target men!

Post-FM08, the games have the arrows taken out, press conferences added, and 3D. Not really a fan of any of those decisions! So, I'd probably go with FM08. It was fast in terms of processing, had a good match engine, excellent 2D classic, the tactical arrows are still in and dealing with the media is much more low key.

If it was just as simple as which versions of the game I've enjoyed the most at the time, then I've had the most fun on CM2, CM01/02, CM03/04, FM07, FM08 and FM10. They'd all be in the running!

I'm currently having a break from the series but, assuming I do eventually come back to playing FM, I suspect it will be to FM08 actually. I'm not sure I have the patience for any of the latest games these days. That's just how I feel at the minute though.

On this subject, how many people here are still playing the older games? Are you still finding them fun and addictive after all of this time?

I've had an idea about this and I wanted to get an idea of what people think. I've been wondering lately if it might be interesting for some people if we were to set-up a 'retro CM and FM' independent/unofficial community for people who play the older games. A kind of 'CM/FM Nostalgia site' with discussions about all of the past CM/FM games from SI Games.

What do you guys think? I imagine there would be some interest, for sure, as there is a big gap out there at the moment for a community centring around the older games (esp. FM07, which is so very popular, and I think quite a few people still playing 08, which was the last game before the arrows went and 3D came in etc.) We quite often get these kinds of threads with people asking about the older games, which shows there is still some interest in them. I just wondered if there would be any interest in a community forum/message board so that all of the stuff about the old games could be in one place.

If anyone is interested or has any ideas, feel free to PM me or detail in here. Thanks. :)

I probably change the order slightly every time I post it, but here are my favourites in order:

FM2010 - probably just because I had such a great game and found no problems that required me to start again.

FM2011 - could have been number 1 but I think the style of game I've played this year has lowered my opinion on it.

FM2009 - apart from the activation issues, I had a great time with this game. Had my laptop not broken I could have played just one save all year.

FM2006 - far higher than it should be, just because it was the first version that I played a long term game with. Such great memories from this version.

FM2007 - apart from the sacking incident, I liked this version. Not sure if the ME was all that great though, I think this was the 'target man' version.

FM2008 - I didn't really enjoy this version and struggled to get into a long term game. Not really sure why but I remember the regens being a bit poor.

FM2005 - too simple and too easy.

In short, despite having some features that I don't like (such as press conferences), I much prefer the look and feel of the more recent versions (FM2009 onwards). I've enjoyed every version at the time but it's the little improvements that would stop me ever going back.

I think the old championship managers are the best, they just killed weeks and weeks and were totally immersive compared to anything else out there. The first one I got was the Italia 93 one, but I think my favourite was the 97/98 release.

Hi all, I have been playing the game since championship manager 93, and had all versions. I loved them all up to 2008, the last 3 versions I have not enjoyed at all.

Im still playing 2008 with my own updated database, and quite happy to continue with this version for a while longer.

FM11- Simply the best. This version made me fall in love again, due to the user interface, steam connection, tactic creator, ability to ask for new stadium, agents etc. Just an awesome, user friendly simulator. Fully patched, this is the ****.

You forget dynamic league reputations, which is a reason on its own to love it ;)

Back when I was (meant) to be studying for my GCSE's the original CM was the best, and other than FM05 I do believe its got better with age other than 08 which I thought was as buggy as hell and hated. Right now FM11 is the tops for me although I hope to be changing my mind in 6 months time

Fraid you are all missing the now sadly no longer existant Football Manager Live... different beast all together, pit yourself against the rest of the world, no AI managers all teams picked by human managers... Now that was a real challenge, and the game that really got me back to FM.

Having played that and moved with the ME evolutions as the game evolved, I would have to say FM11, as there are glaringly obvious ME bugs that have been found in any previous version. Yes, there are bugs in 11.3 as well, but so much progress has been made over the last two years, and some due to the intensity of FML.... and the passion found amongst the players and Paul C to fix it.

So FML (RIP) gets my vote, followed by FM11 :)

So FML (RIP) gets my vote, followed by FM11 :)

I've been away for a while, is FML really gone? Wasn't a player myself but it's still a shame.

My favourite version has to be FM10 by far. Got FM11 in November but I've barely touched it, unfortunately life got in the way. I had my longest FM save ever with FM10, just couldn't put it down. It felt like the most complete and polished version of the game to me (bar the regen issues, no idea if they still exist).

I probably change the order slightly every time I post it, but here are my favourites in order:

FM2010 - probably just because I had such a great game and found no problems that required me to start again.

FM2011 - could have been number 1 but I think the style of game I've played this year has lowered my opinion on it.

FM2009 - apart from the activation issues, I had a great time with this game. Had my laptop not broken I could have played just one save all year.

FM2006 - far higher than it should be, just because it was the first version that I played a long term game with. Such great memories from this version.

FM2007 - apart from the sacking incident, I liked this version. Not sure if the ME was all that great though, I think this was the 'target man' version.

FM2008 - I didn't really enjoy this version and struggled to get into a long term game. Not really sure why but I remember the regens being a bit poor.

FM2005 - too simple and too easy.

In short, despite having some features that I don't like (such as press conferences), I much prefer the look and feel of the more recent versions (FM2009 onwards). I've enjoyed every version at the time but it's the little improvements that would stop me ever going back.

what do you mean in target man version? for fm 2007? cheers

what do you mean in target man version? for fm 2007? cheers

I think he means it was a version where target men (i.e. big tall strikers that are dominant in the air) were very effective.

That was certainly my experience with Liverpool, Crouch was unstoppable.

The best version for me was FM2008. I really enjoyed it, I don't know why. It was the first proper FM I got, on my first ever laptop, and I loved it. Being able to manage national teams, and Plymouth Argyle in such a realistic way. The closest I would get to seeing my local team pitting themselves against Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal. Being only 11/12 at the time, the realism was outstanding for someone used to Fifa. :D

FM11 is certainly right behind it though, all the new features have made it outstanding- I'm hoping for some more financial realism in FM12, and maybe Board Members personality?

• 5 months later...

CM01/02 which I have still visited even over the past year to play careers on. Fantastic game

FM08 - I lost weeks on that game, but now I have to say

FM12 - I've lost weeks on this game like I haven't since FM08 or CM01/02. Developing youth seems to have come on another notch and i'm genuinely building careers which i'm into

In terms of FM, 12 is the best for me. 11.3 was most enjoyable though, had a lot of excellent saves and bugs were minimal.

Best overall is CM3 series by a mile, take your pick at which one - I'll go for 01/02 just for the sheer amount of time I played that game.

It'd have to be a toss up between CM4 and 03/04 for me. I tried CM3 and had an absolutely torrid time with that game and would have given up on the series had I not stumbled across a CM4 demo sometime later. I went out and bought the game after playing that. After playing 03/04 there was no hope. I as hooked on FM.

As GuitarMan said, FML by a country mile- the other FMs just do not touch it, at all. Sure, I might eventually clock up a couple of weeks of play time in an FM save, but FML had me going for a good 5-10 hours a day, every single day of the year, for a long, long time. I still wear my River Medway Riot shirt (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.254897050303.296574.752015303&type=1&l=1180e69df5) with pride. And FM never inspired me to start a blog about my team: http://rivermedwayriot.blogspot.com/

Beyond that, FM10 has me addicted now. CM4 was a good 'un, though I haven't played it in yonks. I do, however, occasionally drift back to CM93/94- there are a couple of odd quirks in that game which make it so difficult to stop playing- I wish I could say it was just nostalgia, but it really isn't.

Archived