Accepting a New Job

Guest PW

This has been brought up numerous times but thought I would raise it again.

The issue I have had with this version and quite a few previous versions is the lack of realism when accepting a new job offer from another club.

An example is that I was Wigan manager, they were relegated under Martinez and I took them from 17th in the Championship to 5th and we won the play-off final.

After only 6 games in the Premiership Sporting Lisbon offer me a job, there is only a £1.5m transfer budge but decent room in the wage budget.

I consider it for a couple of weeks and eventually accept.

I then am Sporting Lisbon manager with a £0 transfer budget!!!!

This is due to Sporting Lisbon paying £1.3m compensation to Wigan for my transfer to them (god knows where the other £200K went).

Now it's a small point but nevertheless important to me, when I accept a new managers position if the above was going to happen I would have wanted to know as it may have influenced my decision on the job.

I assumed that they would pay the compensatin and that was budgeted in the £1.5m transfer budget as they didn't say otherwise.

Not only that but when being offered a new job other than x transfer budget, x wage budget, x wages, and x term of contract they say nothing about what they expect!

I mean do they expect miracles with no transfer budget?...are they happy to give me time to develop the youngsters and bear this in mind if things take a bit of time??............what do they want from me???

Please SI if we are the manager give us better options when being approached for a job!

Completely agree, particularly with the second part. When you join there is no indication of what they expect from you, so you could be blindly walking into a team that is expected by the board to win the league, but you think would be good to finish in the top 4, and then you get sacked for not knowing! Its insane!

One of my most-wanted features for future FMs is some sort of negotiation screen with any new employer about what their expectations are and what you will require in return to fulfill them. You'd then be able to argue back and forth about what your 'project' is for the first year at the club (league finish, transfer budget, wage budget, your own salary, any other board requests you might need like improved facilities...). It would be truer to life and fairer to players.

They got you on a technicality. That's good business by the board IMO, dangle a carrot and then snatch it away! It may not be fair, but it's business.

I recently got to midway through the season and they offered me the 'Change Season Expectactions'. I had £11m left in the budget, but by changing to Title Challenge they increased it to £17.5m. I thought this was a good idea so I took it. 1 day later and the board announce that due to financial constraints, my budget has been reduced by £17m to £500k. I was very annoyed!

I like Shake Appeal's idea above and would also like to see this every time you are offered a contract extension, at the moment the whole job and contract offer things are very basic.

They got you on a technicality. That's good business by the board IMO, dangle a carrot and then snatch it away! It may not be fair, but it's business.

Not really a good idea from the board, they just paid £1.3m compensation, based on the games rules I can just resign, reputation intact and take over somewhere else...........they are £1.3m out of pocket and have to find a new manager and maybe pay more compensation.

One of my most-wanted features for future FMs is some sort of negotiation screen with any new employer about what their expectations are and what you will require in return to fulfill them. You'd then be able to argue back and forth about what your 'project' is for the first year at the club (league finish, transfer budget, wage budget, your own salary, any other board requests you might need like improved facilities...). It would be truer to life and fairer to players.

Really agree with this. I think negotiating the boards expectations needs to go further than just the trasnfer/wage budget.

If you take over a struggling team in january, for example, it would be great if you could make an agreement with the board that you get a new contract if you keep your club up or achieve Euro qualification (etc.)

Also, it woudl be great if you coudl negotiate with your board that you potentially sacrafice a higher league position in a quest for 'sexy football' or in return for blooding some promising kids. Just some random ideas but I think it would be a nice touch.

It would be nice to have some kind of interaction with the board before taking a job. Perhaps some kind of job interview a bit like the press conference you have when you take over?

Perhaps it would also be nice to have a few more options when leaving a club? Currently if you see another job you fancy you can just resign with years left on your contract and take another job without any need for compensation. Perhaps we could have an option to request that our contract is terminated, with the dreaded gardening leave a possibility?

Haven't you ever been lied to in a job interview before? When things like that happen I just take it as the board outright lying to you. "Sure, we'll give you money!" "Hey, Bob, once he signs he's stuck here unless someone pays compensation. 4 year deal! and he has to do well or he'll never get another job! Told you we should lie about the transfer budget!"

It would be nice to be able to complain to the press to try to get them to give the funds though!

There should also be the ability to take over a club in the future, rather than right now. If they're struggling under their current manager, you reach an agreement to take charge over the summer, once your current commitments are up. For instance, Antonio Conte just signed for Juventus today, but it's been widely known for weeks that he would replace Delneri at the end of the season; and he's already talked to the directors about his vision and their expectations.

Basically, we need greater flexibility over when and how and why we take on particular jobs, which would be both more realistic and more fun.

yes I'm okay with that....coaching Warrenpoint in N. Ireland during 3 seasons, my contract finish end of June. I apply for a job in scotland, two weeks before my contract end, but it was rejected cause club doesn't want to pay for compensation.

So can be a good idea to tell which date you will begin new job as after my contract finish, I can move to my new club in scotland.

Only solution for the moment, it's to resign actual job to take a new one.

It would be nice to have some kind of interaction with the board before taking a job. Perhaps some kind of job interview a bit like the press conference you have when you take over?

Perhaps it would also be nice to have a few more options when leaving a club? Currently if you see another job you fancy you can just resign with years left on your contract and take another job without any need for compensation. Perhaps we could have an option to request that our contract is terminated, with the dreaded gardening leave a possibility?

Not only before taking a job, but it would be good to have that sort of conversation with the board before each season too. It shouldn't invariably be just a matter of the board saying "we expect [x] or better, here's your budget". Sure, some chairmen would be that way (hi, Roman!) but others might be willing to accept, for instance, that this is a rebuilding year and aim for continental qualification instead of a title challenge as long as the ability of the squad or certain players improves over the course of the season. Especially where one man has been in charge of a club for several years, he ought to be involved in setting goals and targets.

Does my board really expect me to win the Hungarian Cup but only reach the Champions' League group stage? What if I offer to target reaching the knockout stages in exchange for playing my under 19s in the cup? (I actually did that in my current save and my under 19s won the cup anyway... gotta love managing in Hungary.) That, to me, has potential to be an interesting addition to the game.

I'd love to be able to see the board state their short- and long-term goals in the job offer screen. F.ex. Short-term could be rebuild squad in this season and longterm could be get promoted in 3 years and then they offer a 3 year deal.

Then perhaps we could counteroffer them with getting promoted in 2 years with a higher wage in a 2 year deal.

An not to speak of performance based clauses! - I'd like to be able to negotiate some clauses in my contract.. performance based such that I could get a bonus if I win a competition would be great

Generally speaking I'd like to see the Board be dynamic and not just a static entity as it is now

It's Sporting Lisbon... what do you expect? LOL

Next time, choose Benfica!

Much bigger challenge being Sporting!

Archived