Will FM ever be a web based game???

Im getting a google laptop when it comes out, but my only doubts are that i wont be able to play FM again. Are there any plans to make this web based by using a Gaikai or an Onlive type of format?

This will also make having to upgrade the graphics card a thing of the past. Please say this is in the works. If not for FM12, but for at least FM13

what do you mean by web based? Do you mean a game that you log into to ploay online instead of having it on your pc?

If you've heard of Onlive or Gaikai thats what i mean (nothing to install on a hard drive just on the internet). I dont mean like FML or playing FM online with mates

I think it seems unlikely at the moment. Such a thing would need considerable server power behind it, which would need to be funded by subscription. FML burnt SI's fingers somewhat, so I can't see them leaping straight into an even more abstract venture.

Not with current internet speeds.

The google laptop isn't for games like FM and FM certainly isn't goign to water down.

Don't know where you're from, but here in Belgium the internet speeds are more then good enough for it to work.

Also, with services like Onlive the game is installed on the Onlive server, and runs there. So it doesn't mather how bad your computer sucks, you'll still be able to play with all options/graphics/db's at max.

Don't know where you're from, but here in Belgium the internet speeds are more then good enough for it to work.

Also, with services like Onlive the game is installed on the Onlive server, and runs there. So it doesn't mather how bad your computer sucks, you'll still be able to play with all options/graphics/db's at max.

Not sure whether we are comparing the same things. My speed is 13Mb (0.5Mb upload) here in the UK. The OP was talking about a web based game - i.e. the data would be stored online and need to go back and forth constantly.

If we are talking about having a piece of software, with minimal data upload/download then sure, it would work.

Also, a lot of people play the game when they don't have connection to the internet. A lot of players don't have internet.

If the saved games were online wouldnt you need to be online to access them? Whether it's to open initially or to save at the end?

I'd be very surprised if Football Manager doesn't end up on Onlive when it's rolled out across Europe. After all, they are from SI's point of view just another distribution method, just one that reaches players who don't meet the PC specs for the normal version.

Also, a lot of people play the game when they don't have connection to the internet. A lot of players don't have internet.

If the saved games were online wouldnt you need to be online to access them? Whether it's to open initially or to save at the end?

onlive is a totally online platform. You buy games like Mafia 2, Call of Duty or FIFA 2012 from them, plug a laptop, netbook or TV attachment console thingy in to the internet, log into your account and play them over the servers. Without being online you don't have any access to any of your games.

It's a great idea for people with rubbish PCs. the disadvantage of "need to be online" is overruled by the advantage of "can play games that wouldn't have even run otherwise". FM being on Onlive would be no different to FM being available on Amazon.co.uk. You can still buy it on Steam or the local shop and play like now, only the Onlive customers would be stuck having to be online and logged into onlive to play.

This is like discussing to replace DVD with VHS, when VHS was still dominant. (Today installing games is more popular than playing them on a browser) You want to see this idea in FM13? dream on. FM16 or 17 if these browser games ever become successful. I haven't even heard of these before.

Plus this would probably make the ME useless since graphics aren't used in browser in any serious way.

• SI Staff

Onlive doesn't launch in Europe for some time (and the jury is still out on whether it works or not) and Gaikai is more for demo's from the blurb I've read but, essentially, no, there are no plans for FM to be on these services, and neither OnLive nor Gaikai have approached us.

Not sure whether we are comparing the same things. My speed is 13Mb (0.5Mb upload) here in the UK.

You overestimate the data that needs to be sent. What the user/client sends is mouseclicks/keyboard, and what you receive is a streaming video.

Guess we have it better here in Belgium then, think 15 Mbit is about the minimum you can get here, mine is 40 Mbit atm, highest availlable is 100 Mbit.

Still, I'm pretty sure 13 Mbit would be enough.

Also: everything that r0x0r said.

Imho Onlive is the future for gaming, no need to constantly upgrade your hardware.

Onlive doesn't launch in Europe for some time (and the jury is still out on whether it works or not) and Gaikai is more for demo's from the blurb I've read but, essentially, no, there are no plans for FM to be on these services, and neither OnLive nor Gaikai have approached us.

I've tried a game through Gaikai, and it worked really well. Of course Onlive has a far tougher job as it will have tons of people playing all the time, not just targetted ads to select people. And FM wouldn't really suit a Gaikai-style demo anyway. That said, if Onlive does work well, there's no real reason that there wouldn't be discussions in the future is there? I'd imagine expanding the target market can only be a good thing. (plus I could play my main FM save on my netbook when I'm at the inlaws!)

Archived