Playing FM11. Do I dare?

People are always more likely to complain than praise.

Like all games it does have its faults but it is still (in my opinion) a very good game and version.

Try it and see.

The game is great, people will make threads moaning a hell of a lot more than they do praising the game. I have not run into an issues that make the game unplayable, there are a few minor things but nothing that stops the game being fun.

I have to agree with all the above posts. You've formed an opinion based on no first hand experience of something.

People will always find some reason to complain about something. None of these bugs are game breaking, and if you don't go looking for them, often you don't even notice anything is wrong if anything would even happen. This game is no worse than any previous version, and I'd even go as far as to say it's better.

The only thing I would say is that if you've waited this long to play it, you may as well hold on a couple months and get FM12 once it's released. But it's definitely worth playing it.

While there are bugs, and indeed always will be bugs, the game itself is still healthy. The game itself is still the best football management game in the world. The best so far, anyway.

One day another company may stand SI's equal. The competition can only be a blessing. Until that day though, the next best game will be FM12. And FM13 should surpass that.

I had a massive save breaking bug. The History Reset bug. Not sure how common or preventable it is. But it totally ruined a 10 season save and I didnt feel like going through it all again incase it reappeared.

Personally I'd rather wait for 2012 than bother with this version again but some people enjoy it, and if your not one for long term saves it seems to be fine.

Obviously people like Born2killzone have reason to be frustrated. Personally I've had no issues with the game, and have had two 10+ season games as well as a 5+ season game so far. It's my favourite one so far.

The reason you see more negative posts than positive is that those who enjoy the game put up with the little things that are wrong, rather than blowing them out of proportion. Some complaints are clearly borne out of frustration having a bad run of results, or not being able to buy who they want. Not all are, but some are. And you remember the ones with capital letters and people making a fuss more than those about scorers and fun games.

My reason to ask is that FM have got its share of rage resent years because of newgens stuff, match engine and leagues issues. I am not that kind of player that "just plays for fun".

If I play a simulation I want a simulation and when playing strategy games I want a proper strategy game with realism. And not unbalanced stuff or things out of order.

Something that is a lesser bug for someone can be a huge for others. In FM it just depends how you play. Im into more long term games with FM and have played mostly FM07 but wanted a change. I have just started up a game on FM09 and see have that goes (just got it). Mainly because that version divides people the most as some hate it but others have had a good experience when playing long term saves. I have been playing some FM10 on and off but for some reason I just stop very early.

If I read somewhere that this or that is broken it stops me from playing that game. I dont want to experience the bugs myself just to see with my own eyes how it is after a long term session.

Thats just not fun. I usually looks through forums for tips and fixes and that usually helps my experience with the FM games. Ive learned though that the FM evolution is not going as people expect

as many thinks the best versions is the older ones. I have no hard feelings or anything against SI and I dont see any reason to make hard statements about the game and bugs and issues. I just have a feeling that this game in its state and in the future is growing too big and too complex and at least needs a longer development period.

I like long term games. I'm happiest when the last real player retires into coaching and the regens rule. And in this version, the regens are pretty great. They aren't perfect, but there are some crackers out there. And hell, even the more quirky ones have personality.

For instance, I have a player who was a top centerback in my old tactic. Changed formations to freshen things up, and moved him into midfield as my tough ball winning midfielder instead. 12 games in midfield, he's scored 12 goals.

Is he perfect? No. His bravery and aggression are low for a defensive player of that calibre. his sheer physique mixed with workrate, determination, teamwork, anticipation and decisions makes him irresistible though.

Or take my right winger. 5 flair means he'll never be Messi. 20 acceleration and technique, 19 pace and agility, 17 balance and dribbling and 15 strength means that he's an absolute monster at going past players, and 18 crossing / 16 finishing / 19 off the ball means that while he'll never set the world alight with magical tricks, what he does do he does VERY effectively. Again a huge flaw (low flair in a winger), but a player who's stats are rounded enough elsewhere to make him a top top player anyway.

If you are worried about regens, holiday tonight. To 2030. Check out the top teams and see if you could live with those players. Personally I love my regens!

Journeyman saves is almost impossible because of the reputation bug when applying for jobs (in different leagues). Agents are a horrible addition, that and unrealistic contract negotiations has really put me off it. AI squad building etc etc.

Enjoyed fm10 a great deal, but the play thrue the middle thing makes me want to move on. -gutted and fed up really

Get the demo to try out. Since it's in the last phase before FM12, if you have FM10, I'd hold off getting FM11 which really isn't that different to FM10 - and wait for FM12 (patch 32).

I realise that some have experience some major bugs.. such as not being able to start the game or experience crashes and such.. but calling the game full of bugs and "stinky" is just plain idiotic.. The game is fine.. although some areas do need some tweaking and there are some bugs I and just about anyone I know has never come across a bug that has had an impact on the gaming experience.. f.ex. the biggest bug I've had sofar is that I wasnt voted Manager of the year although I win 27 out of 27 matches in the leagues AND won the cup and national supercup.. the award went to nr. 5 in the league. And I've played 3 games sofar with 20+ seasons..

Another thing I think needs tweaking is the low CA and PA of youth players.. in 20 seasons playing in Faroe Islands I've still not seen a single regen from my youth that can make it into the national team.. and thats even after I've invested like £15m in youth facilities (I've qualified for CL and UEFA groups nearly every season for 15 seasons..)

Besides there points and some others too small to even mention I think the game is perfectly playable and very much fun in longterm games

Don't be too put off by the comments made in this forum, the general discussion forum has always had its share of negativity and people complaining make a lot more noise than happy people. If you want to read about people enjoying the game, have a look at the career updates forum, that should give you a bit more of a balanced view.

Some very helpful posts from you guys. I might dare after all!!! Even if I would consider to buy FM12 I wouldnt play it until the very latest patch comes out, like I do for most games, so it might

be a long time until then. I probably will have a go at FM11 first.

I read somewhere that someone who has a bad experience is something like 9 times more likely to tell people about it than someone who has a good experience. So you can't not play it just because of what the forums say!

I read somewhere that someone who has a bad experience is something like 9 times more likely to tell people about it than someone who has a good experience. So you can't not play it just because of what the forums say!

This applies to theories of consumer psychology and not sexual experiences, by the way. :)

Should I dare to play it? Reading the forums killed it for me. Or should I pick up the corpse and pretend its alive?

It looks like its eaten by bugs and really stinky but some of you play it yet.

Never believe everything you read on a forum. It more often than not tends to be the case that people with problems are the ones that post. There will be many, many, many happy users playing away without ever worrying about a single bug.

Okay there are users that post and are happy, like me, but that's not my point. These forums are just a subset of all the FM fans out there.

FM has not been eaten by bugs, in fact far from it. Yes there are annoyances and little things we all wish could be better, but this is a damn fine game. I am enjoying every moment of my current game.

One thing I would say is play in a bigger league rather than one of the smaller ones that are not as well researched. I've noted more problems on the fringe leagues than I have in England, for example. In my Romanian game, shortly after FM11 released, I was shocked by how easy it became and how badly researched and how peculiar the teams that got promoted in to the bottom league were. In Iceland I was hit in the face with the referee bug, where I got the same ref almost every game. He just happened to be a particularly harsh referee. It's not that I wish to diminish the excellent work of reserachers for these countries, but I just experienced things that don't seem to crop up in England.

In England I've found the game extremely smooth, hence my enjoyment. I have an FA Trophy final at Wembley coming up next and I'm now wondering why I'm sitting here replying to your paranoid post when I could be moving forward to by big moment. I just felt that these claims of yours needed addressing.

Stop believing every negative comment you read and go play/enjoy the great game SI have made.

Archived