Ratings out of 10

What are the ratings relative to?

Is it how well the player could potentially have performed? Let's suppose I had Messi and Jay Bothroyd up front for Barca against Madrid. They have identical games, playing a similar role, are largely anonymous, but each net as we win 2-0. Would they get the same rating for a good performance, or would Messi get a lower rating for only doing what was expected, compared to Bothroyd who has arguably done more than expected?

Is it how well they have done compared to teammates? Everyone has a stunner in a match apart from one central midfielder. Even though he had a fairly good game by his standards, would his rating be lower since compared to everyone else on his team he didn't put in a shift?

Is it how well they have done compared to everyone on the pitch? We've won 1-0, but the opponents CB has an absolute stinker, fouling everyone and generally being a liability. Would his poor performance knock up my players ratings because he is making them look good?

Is there any link to age and experience? Would a 18 year old having an equal game to a 30 year old stalwart get a higher rating? This is strongly linked to the opening question.

Believe me, I've confused myself trying to justfiy what the rating is relative to.

I'm pretty sure they're based on the position. So centre backs, world class or prospects, would get identical ratings if they made the same amount of blocks, key tackles, winning headers, etc.

I agree, I think the OP is looking into it too much. The rating out of 10 is simply how well they played, I don't think reputation, age or anything else like that factors into it at all.

Then should it take more factors into account?

If my experienced, world class centre half had an identical game to a last minute, thrown-in-because-of-injuries, 17 year old centre half, I'd expect the latter to be given more credit.

If my experienced, world class centre half had an identical game to a last minute, thrown-in-because-of-injuries, 17 year old centre half, I'd expect the latter to be given more credit.

You can give them more credit in terms of being more enthusiastic when giving them feedback. But just because your expectations are lower, doesn't mean they've actually played better (they haven't).

I disagree with this. If two players have an identical game, regardless of their actuall ability, they should get the same rating. Otherwise you could have a world class player playing well and getting a 7.0, and an absolutely terrible player having an average game getting a 7.2. Based on this, you might start to think that the terrible player is actually better than the world class player when in fact the world class player had a better game.

To answer the OP, it's none of your options. It is quite simply how well they have played.

It is simply a calculation of passes/key passes, tackles/key tackles, headers/key headers, interceptions, runs, fouls, assists and goals minus errors. Perhaps there is a "hidden" stat influencing their score as well. I know for sure that whatever a keeper does apart from passing is hidden. This could indicate that a certain x-factor is present but hidden for outfield players too, as when a player scores a goal given a superlative by the commentator he will get a bigger bonus than a player scoring an easy goal or penalty.

Archived