Are national rivalries stopping managers from being hired?

Background:

I'm Welsh, in 2055, have won the league the last 24 seasons (and by the looks of it, am not going to win the 25th cause I was daft enough to try and make 442 work when I didn't have the players for it :/ )

I have applied for the England job every time it's become available but have never been successful, despite getting offers from every top nation every time they fire their manager (I've won the World Cup, Euros and the American-based cups with different national teams already).

So, the only reason I can see for not being hired is that I'm Welsh - which is one of England's rivals.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm in a very similar predicament as a Northern Irishman. I won the Euros with NI, and have won the quadruple many, many times, but England never consider me. In fact, they only ever hire English managers in my experience. Whether it's a rival thing or a national identity/patriot thing I don't know.

In two seasons, as a dual nationality English/Spanish manager, enjoying a high reputation and success, I've applied for quite a few international jobs, unsuccessfully.

I perhaps wasn't quite there for the Spain job, which Guardiola took. Completely understandable. England job has yet to become available, but I suspect I won't be considered, having only managed in Spain.

I've applied for jobs with Holland (didn't get), plus African nations such as Nigeria, Mali, Senegal... didn't get those either. The "bigger" nations I can understand, but the lower reputation nations, a little difficult to accept.

I agree, I'm Scottish and the Northern Ireland job became available and thought I'd have a go, but they didn't hire me. I had a suspicion that me not being Irish was the problem so I added a manager and took over N.Ireland, then retired. I did this four or five time and each time a different manger was picked of N.Irish nationality. I was better than all of them so I kind of don't go for International jobs for this reason. But saying it's due to rivalry is a bit silly because I don't consider the home nations to be rivals apart from England (Who nobody likes).

I have seen me (dual nationality English/Icelandic) rejected from the Iceland job 3 times even when I am the most successful manager in Iceland. It happens. I just cope. Instead I got the Croatia job. It's hard to get a good international job without stating at the bottom in FM11.

I started with Tonga, lost every game but drew 1. Then I got the Guinea-Bissau job, then Ivory Coast then Croatia. It works like that.

I have seen me (dual nationality English/Icelandic) rejected from the Iceland job 3 times even when I am the most successful manager in Iceland. It happens. I just cope. Instead I got the Croatia job. It's hard to get a good international job without stating at the bottom in FM11.

I started with Tonga, lost every game but drew 1. Then I got the Guinea-Bissau job, then Ivory Coast then Croatia. It works like that.

how was the tongan job? any talent at all?

Well... with my English/Spanish dual nationality, I lost out to none other than Stuart Pearce, who always seems to get the England job in my saves. That said though, I did accept the booby prize, which was the England U21 manager's job. :D

When/if Stuart Pearce gets the boot, I'll be there waiting with a smile.

england-flag-st-george-flag-world-cup.gif

Archived