Reading First Season

Hey guys, I just need a little help from the experts ;o) What it is, I am managing Reading and I am about 5th in the Championship. I play a 4-4-2 system, with two wingers, one poacher and a deep lying forward to link the midfield up.

My problem is possesion of the ball, in nearly all my games I have least possesion, although I manage to score a few, but its usually via counter attacks or set pieces.

I have set me game stratergy to control. Rigid, standing off (as not pull players out of position) and usually looking for an overlap. Recently my team have begun loosing due to possesion issues, I was 2nd in the league at one point. I am now 13 games into the season, and have lost my last three and was hammered in the FA Cup 4th Round by Wolves away I think it was 5-0.

So any tips on how to get my team to keep possesion of the ball?

I agree that Rigid is best for if you are a team struggling in the league. If you are struggling with posession, but you have a higher pass completion rate than your opposition try setting a Higher defensive line.

I also tend to find it better playing a supporting Complete Forward alongside a Poacher

You could lower the Tempo, that will have them retain the ball for longer, but Reading's main strength is the pace of the attacking players - which means hitting teams quick and direct. Play the ball to the flanks and get Kebe and Jobi to run with ball often, get them to the byline and put cross/though ball/long shot in the middle.

Archived