What is the difference between the variety of FC/ST roles available?

Like trequartista, deep-lying forward, inside forward, advanced forward, poacher etc.? I'm confused as to which one is best employed for my current tactic (4-3-1-2).

What do you want them to do? What are they able to do? It's pointless setting a player with dribbling 5 to "run with ball often" for example... similarly a player with long-shots 5 and technique 5 shouldn't be shooting from 40 yards often either...

Like trequartista, deep-lying forward, inside forward, advanced forward, poacher etc.? I'm confused as to which one is best employed for my current tactic (4-3-1-2).

It may help to think of them in terms of real life players.

Trequartista: Drops out of the front line and roams around into whatever space is available, completely free from defensive responsibility, so the likes of Totti and Del Piero. The classic trequartista was Roberto Baggio.

Deep Lying Forward: Responsible for linkup play between midfield and attack, he'll drop deep and look to bring others into play like Rooney or Berbatov.

Inside Forward: Usually a winger playing on the "wrong" side, so think Adam Johnson, Ashley Young, or Stewart Downing.

Advanced Forward: A striker who usually plays on the shoulder of the last defender, looking to break in behind and either score himself or set others up in the classic Michael Owen role from his Liverpool days or perhaps resembling a younger Nicolas Anelka.

Poacher: Ally McCoist, Kris Boyd, Jermaine Defoe, a poacher is your basic penalty-box twenty-a-season predator. Rarely involved in build-up or wide positions, the poacher's job is to get on the end of moves, plain and simple.

Target Man: Kenwyne Jones is the modern day example of the classic target man, whose job is to physically dominate and unsettle the opposition defence. Strong in the air and on the ground, his job is as much about bringing others into play as it is about scoring himself.

Complete Forward: Comfortable playing over the top or dropping deep, wide or narrow, with the ball in the air or on the ground, the complete forward is a one man defence wrecker. Fernando Torres in his Liverpool heyday or Didier Drogba, he can do just about anything and it can take an entire back four and then some to stop him.

You may disagree with some of the examples, but I hope you get the general idea.

BigHairyAndy has given a good description of each above, and for your formation with 2 strikers you should think about which two you will play and how they work together. A Target Man/Poacher combo is one option, or Deep-Lying Forward/Advanced Forward, but there are plenty of combinations that work. Usually I like to ensure I have one on a support duty and one on attack, and it really depends on the players at your disposal.

in my 4-3-1-2 i have a trequartista playing behind a complete forward and poacher. works well for me

i find the movement of the two strikers with the poacher looking to break the offside trap and the complete forward moving wide and then running between Fb and CB leaves the trequartista in acres of space allowing him the option of passing through running with the ball or trying a shot. so i'd say a poacher is good for if you look to break in behind teams. complete forwards can be used in tadem with the poacher to good effect but personally i prefer my trequartista in the 'hole' behind strikers

• 1 year later...

Archived