What does the "automatic" player setting do? Also, what is your playing philosophy?

My DR/DL settings can be set to defend, support, attack or "automatic" (whatever that means). What does the automatic setting do if I set the player to use it? Also what's your playing philosophy? I use a 4-3-1-2 tactic with custom player settings and it's really great. It aims to move the ball from a defensive position to attack in the fastest way possible and aims to adapt all players to the current situation; e.g. when the team is dominating the match and rhythm of play the defenders can run forward and sometimes score goals from corners, but when the team is losing the ball everyone's main aim is to regain possession of the ball and move it to the middle of the park to slow down the opposition's tempo. It would be nice if you go into detail about your tactics in this thread.

I think automatic means that it'll depend on your strategy. If you've got a more attack one, like Attacking or Overload, they'll be on attack. If you're being Defensive or using Contain, they'll be on defend. Could be wrong though.

My philosphy is keeping the ball, on a Control setting, working it up the pitch, before getting it to my poacher striker(who is on over two goals a game this season due to this). However, we've also got the ability to break with alarming pace and skill, I'm currently at Real Madrid(after a successful spell at Roma ending with a CL win), and have Ronaldo pluse a regen striker and regen winger all with great pace and talent, so we break better than any team in the world.

We frequently score 4-5 goals or more, and hardly concede any due to the top class CB's I have, plus defensively sound FB, though one of them is alarmingly good going forward so I've given him license to do so.

My formation is

----------------Casillas---------------

RB---------CB-------CB----------LB

--------------------DM----------------

--------------CM----------------------

-RW------------AM-------------LW-

-----------------ST------------------

Automatic means the player will change when you change the team strategy. Contain / defensive = Defend. Counter / Standard / Control = Support. Attacking / Overload = Attack.

This setting is available for full-backs, wide midfielders and central midfielders.

I currently play a 433/451, with a control strategy, fluid philosophy and short passing. 3 players on Defend, 3 on Support and 4 on Attack. Tends to be quite a slick, passing build-up, with both wingers as inside forwards to support the lone striker. My left winger has been top scorer for two seasons, but my right winger doesn't score many. I think it's because they are both right-footed, so the one on the left cuts in more to score on his preferred foot, while the right winger tends to dribble past players before crossing across the 6 yard box, usually for my left winger to get on the end of. Seems reasonably effective so far, without being completely dominant.

Archived