So at what point do you look to move on or start a new save....

Title pretty much sums it up. At what point do you look for a new job (Journeyman style) or quit out and start a new save?

After the 5th Champions League in a row?

After the Board wont match your ambitions?

After you get beten in the 3rd round of the F.A cup to a poor team?

Im Southampton ATM and have guided them up from League 1 to the last week of the Championship season and Im in first guaranteed promotion as Champions, decided against sigining a new contract with them as I dont think they will match my ambitions with a hearty war chest, and am basically waiting to see what jobs come up before my contract runs down. OM are interessted as are PSV. At a bit of a crossroads in my career save...

Would be cool to see how fellow FM players basically play... Cheers

Why leave Southampton now? Im not going to walk, im going to wait until my contract runs down and if any jobs come in the mean time im going to take them. TBH i dont really want to make the Saints a european force ive sorta used them as a stepping stone into one of the bigger euro clubs.

im currently in a save with Southampton and the board have more than matched my ambitions!

in 2022/23 i won the league for the first time along with the champions league and league cup...

ive put in lots of hard work in only buying players 21 or under and its taken some time but they are all now reaching their potential and built a quality young team with a 29 year old Chamberlain being my oldest player!

Why leave Southampton now? Im not going to walk, im going to wait until my contract runs down and if any jobs come in the mean time im going to take them. TBH i dont really want to make the Saints a european force ive sorta used them as a stepping stone into one of the bigger euro clubs.

Ok. It just seems a bit weird that you have got a side promoted to the Premiership and you want to leave. I'd be licking my lips at the chance of proving myself in the Premiership. Even if I didn't get alot of funds. Would definitely get clubs interested in you if you did that and stayed up.

thats exactly what my mate said earlier, he said getting a "smaller club" into the Prem and keeping them there has the job offers flooding in. And i do see where your coming from with getting into the Prem, but I was thinking more along the lines of there you go, 2 back to back promotions, some decent youth players for the future, (nordveet, Kakuta on loan with hopes of signing, Addison) thank you goodnight.

Sir Alex, what sort of budget did they give you first yearr in the prem?

pretty decent, around £25 million, possibly even more, cant really remember...but you dont need to spend 3/5's of it if youve kept the likes of chamberlain/schiederlin etc etc

plus, the chairman will pump money in at the end of each season if your in the red...

the only issue i've found is that i have quite poor attendances regardless of how im doing...got a stadium expansion a few seasons back to make St. Mary's a 49,000 seater but i regularly get 42000 average...

apart from that, its been one of my all time favourite saves!

To be honest once i start winning the CL and unless i got some really good youngsters coming up the ranks i feel the need to start on a lower league club somewhere else.

To me the fun of the game is buliding up a club to be a world force.. once that it's done it's time to start over!

When my heart isn't in it anymore. When I feel I've done as much as I can without yet another large scale overhaul and I can't be bothered to start over.

On FM10, that was after 19 seasons at Tottenham. On FM11, it's so far looking like 16 seasons with Middlesbrough, though I might yet go back to it.

The escapist's answer would be that it depends entirely on the situation, but generally I like to take a club as far as I feel I can take them. Sometimes that is not far, others I might get a few leagues.

The last club I resigned from was Valur Reykjavik (well I was pushed). I was immensely frustrated with the lack of wage budget and was getting no joy from the players. I had actually felt it was time to go when I realised how far behind the top Icelandic clubs Valur really were. Fram and KR are a long, long way ahead of the bunch up there and my team needed a complete overhaul, and I wasn't sure if I could attract the players to challenge Fram and KR anyway.

In past games I've moved on because I've been approached. I get quite attached to clubs so it's usually hard to go, but Inverness Caley Thistle offered me a job in FM10 and I had to take it. I had taken KFUM Oslo to the Norwegian Tippolaegen and built a really nice squad that lost just one game in gaining promotion.

In FM09 I won the Slovenian League and a few cups with Koper but really struggled in Europe. When Dinamo Kiev approached me it was something I had to accept.

I've turned down plenty of offers though. I think I turned down Forest in that KFUM game.

In FM07 or 08 I had the opposite. I was managing Skarp (in Norway again) and found myself jumping between Division 2 and the Tippolaegen, but I couldn't get another job for love nor money. I think I was at that one for about nine seasons. I would have taken the first job offer there despite really taking a shine to that club. I keep an eye on them in the real world still.

The problem I have with all FM games is that I just can't ever seem to care about regens. I like to buy, work with, and compete against teams, players, and managers that I know. When it gets to a point where the winner of the Ballon d'Or is announced as 'John Smith' I just lose all interest.

I keep going till the save crashes. :(

My goal is to always to go as far into the future as possible, so there's really nothing to stop me - except bloody crash dumps.

Most of the clubs I manage are stepping stones. It's best not to be too into your players in journeyman, because for the sake of your career, you have to move on eventually. I started in the PDL with the Victoria Highlanders (custom US realistic leagues xml), won everything I could, went to Persipura in Indonesia, and trying real hard to win, but the idiot chairman is selling my players. I won the AFC Cup and looking forward to the ACL..but there's a board takeover looming...

I will never work for someone who wouldn't let me do my job, and if the new chairman is like the old interfering one, I'm going to the job centre

When I'm bored and jaded. That can happen straight away or not really. Sometimes at lower leagues I get bored if I get a promotion because I know I have to rebuild the squad and I know it's going to be another bloody season of crappy performances because of the quality gap and the reputation not increasing quick enough.

At higher league clubs I'm usually content until something just clicks and I feel it's pointless to continue. In a way in FM I'm very much like Kevin Keegan @_@

I have quit plenty of times to go "manage" the club on Pro Evo or FIFA. I'm a lot more accepting of my own 'skills' there than I am of the player's on FM, in fact, Pro Evo's the only game that's ever sent me into a rage akin to watching a team of disinterested or complacent and useless numpties on FM.

Archived