baffling player interaction (imo)

me: you've been playing well recently, keep it up!

player: Actually I dont think i've played well enough to deserve any praise

me: I like your attitude and I'm looking forward to seeing you fulfill your promise

player: I feel you've treated me very unfairly and i'm not happy about it.

really? And he's a ''model pro''. I don't understand. What did I do wrong?

A little background, I signed him, he didnt play great the first couple of games, I spoke to him and said he needed to improve, he agreed and in his profile it said he felt he had a good relationship with me. He's since played great in the 3/4 games since, scoring in each I think, so I thought i'd let him know I was pleased with his improvement and offer encouragement to continue. But look what happened...

me: you've been playing well recently, keep it up!

player: Actually I dont think i've played well enough to deserve any praise

me: I like your attitude and I'm looking forward to seeing you fulfill your promise

player: I feel you've treated me very unfairly and i'm not happy about it.

really? And he's a ''model pro''. I don't understand. What did I do wrong?

A little background, I signed him, he didnt play great the first couple of games, I spoke to him and said he needed to improve, he agreed and in his profile it said he felt he had a good relationship with me. He's since played great in the 3/4 games since, scoring in each I think, so I thought i'd let him know I was pleased with his improvement and offer encouragement to continue. But look what happened...

He is obviously a bit of a perfectionist. Probably high levels of professionalism & determination.

What did you do wrong?

Well learn from the first part - don't praise him until he has been perfect (at least 8.0 average over last 5 games).

For the second part I'm not sure as I don't know what other options you had - your answer seems good but obviously didn't work very well.

Your first mistake was pressing 'interact with player'. if you had just left it be, he would have been fine and no chance of upseting him. Only use it if hes not playing well and hope the 50/50 runs in your favour.

Same with back up players, know in your head they are backup and rarely play them they will be happy, let them know they are back up by changing them to backup and play them often they will ask for a transfer for being a back up.

Treat your players as if they are completly brain dead is the best advice I can give.

Its probably down to some of the frankly odd meanings behind seemingly harmless statements during the various interaction parts of the game. Its just about learning which ones to never press, and also learning what players to avoid talking to. Most of my team are fine, they respond well but theres one guy who just argues with anything I say so I just dont talk to him!

Archived