Your biggest bargain?

I was just going through my team when I realised that I had picked up a quality bargain!

When managing Manchester United I declared interest in a happy and settled Jack Wilshere as I needed a replacement for the retired Paul Scholes.

Wilshere said that he was flattered by my interest but Wenger issued a hands off warning. I thought nothing of it and, when he had returned from ANOTHER injury, I placed Owen Hargreaves where Scholesy used to play.

Then, in the summer, when Hargreaves was again injured Arsenal offered me Jack Wilshere for the princely sum of £5 million.

I bought him, obviously, and I wondered what your biggest bargain was.

I bought Rossi(20million euros) for my Juventus side and paired him with Del Piero. He scored 23 goals in 15 league matches. I bought Spence for a 1 million Euros for my Leeds save and was amazing. I recently got Kroos for free, he'll be joining my team and the end of his current contract.

Bressan 160K Biggest bargain of the lot! Averages around 7.25 in premiership with average premiership team and around 15-20 assists a season from central midfield! Plus he's only 21 with pretty attributes...(I don't mean his looks lol.)

I tried to sign him, but he went to Birmingham instead who are now wallowing in mediocrity, shame really.

My biggest bargains where Anthony Vanden Borre, who I bought for £300k which seemed odd to me, as his stats are pretty damed excellent for that price, and hes a great sub who can play many positions. He is now attracting bids from the like of Liverpool and Inter... And Kara some senegal DMC who I bought as cover for my midfield and defence for £700k, he ended up playing most important games, averaged a 7.50 over the whole season, scored 10 goals, was instrumental in beating Man City in the EL semi final and later got picked for Senegal at international level. Hes now worth 2 million (surprised its not more) and is my equivalent of Park Ji-Sung in that hes underated and always gets picked for big games.

I got so many quality free transfers in FM2011 it was ridiculous.

Between 2010-2014, playing as Sunderland, I picked up...

Landon Donovan FREE

Yuri Zhirkov FREE

Sergio Busquets FREE - perhaps the most incredible, I was only able to hold onto him for one season before Man City swooped in with a stupid money offer.

Kieran Gibbs FREE

Craig Bellamy FREE

Fabio Da Silva FREE

Klaus-Jan Huntlaar FREE

Ji-Sung Park FREE

Solomon Kalou FREE

And those are just the guys I can remember. The sheer amount of guys available for free, I actually thought it was some sort of bug.

Nothing worth writing about from FM11, but I did have one particularly fruitful summer on FM10.

TottenhamHotspur-1.png

They clicked midway through the season, I finished on a 17 match winning run and nicked the league by 1 point. Not bad for a side tipped to finish mid-table :cool: From memory, I seem to think Gourcuff had two belting seasons, then I sold him for £30m when he turned 30, while Justice Dauda was a regen who went on to play regluarly for me and England.

When managing Liverpool on fm 10 there was a young turkish regen who i was interested in and a year after i initially scouted him he left his club on a free after refusing to sign a new contract. I quickly snapped him up at the age of 17 and by the age of 18 he was a regular starter in the Turkish national team and by 19 he'd forced Gerrard out of my team. He became absolutely amazing he was both the best playmaker and goalscoring AMC i have ever had.

Nothing worth writing about from FM11, but I did have one particularly fruitful summer on FM10.

TottenhamHotspur-1.png

They clicked midway through the season, I finished on a 17 match winning run and nicked the league by 1 point. Not bad for a side tipped to finish mid-table :cool: From memory, I seem to think Gourcuff had two belting seasons, then I sold him for £30m when he turned 30, while Justice Dauda was a regen who went on to play regluarly for me and England.

that's a whole lot of signings in such a short space of time... how on earth do you ever get your team to gel with so many new players?

that's a whole lot of signings in such a short space of time... how on earth do you ever get your team to gel with so many new players?

It was a complex thing. I'd literally just took over, and the current squad was awful. They didn't really gel until halfway through the season. Most of them ended up being back-up anyway - my goalkeeper and defence was largely unchanged. Plus, from the year of those signings, most of the regens were only 19 or 20, so they went straight to the reserves.

Cedric Bakambu cost £2.1M first season, broke into the 1st team turn of the year and finished with over 20 goals including the winner in the Champions League final. I know £2 million isn't peanuts but his performances at very top level were what I'd expect from a player costing 10 times that price.

um on fm09 busquests for free

on fm11:

A regen called ruben signed for 2m from barcelona , became top scorer won spain the WC , won me 3xEPL, 1 CL and then sold for 38m ( though he was ineffective 1st season)

oh and hamit altintop on a free on 2nd season of same save - was amazing and played all positions ( now in new save just signed him a on a precontract) :p

I got balotelli and wilshere on a free in my 5th season with reading, sold balotelli 5 seasons later for 19.75mil and wilshere is still going strong, they both basically propelled me onto the big stage.

A regen Brazilian striker, rescued from the Cypriot premier league for £3.3m. 217 goals in 217 league games for my Liverpool side in five years and sold on for £68m. Awesome.

That is awesome!

I don't really have any standout players like that, but for my Southampton side I got Fernando Gago on a free. He does nothing spectacular except win the ball and give it to a teammate, but he's damn good at it and he really keeps my team ticking over. I also snapped up a young Dutch guy named Ivo Verweij for £3m and sold him a year later for £27.5m.

But I think mine is (or at least will be) probably this guy:

20110527110347pm.jpg

Signed for £2m as a 17yr old. We won the title in his first season between the sticks and I think he's going to get better and better.

Archived