Unreasonable transfer fees/demands

It's been a long time since I managed a Top club with plenty of money, so I've been out of the loop for years and didn't really notice that trend...

Until recently, and that's killing my savegame.

So, I've taken Barça over (but I'll reload my Chelsea save really soon... already tired of that), and I suddenly have to face unrealistical, unreasonable and totally outlandish demands for pretty much every schmuck I try to sign...

Basically I can't get a decent player for less than 10M, or a decent prospect for less than 6-7M... and the weird thing is that didn't happen when I was at Chelsea...

I see how an "Indispensable for the club" A-list striker valued around 20M can cost me at least 45M; that's ok and it's perfectly normal...

I can even see how a generic Hot Prospect from a good club, valued 1M, can cost me 3 or 4M plus future incentives.

What I don't get is why a random Brazilian/Argentinian club should keep on refusing 20M offers for an uncapped and relatively obscure DM whose value is 5M. And my 20/20 scout said they'll sell for 15M...

Seriously... not even Gago or Mascherano were that expensive, and this random guy definitely isn't as good...

What happened to the "chairman has accepted the offer because it was too good to turn down" scenario that has been frustrating small-club managers for years?

Why isn't THEIR chairman wetting his pants for an offer 4x the original value while OUR chairmen usually sell our best players over our heads for 2x the original value?

Oh and let's not forget the agents and the players suddenly turning into Scrooge McDuck, asking for INSANE wages and signing-on fees...

I tried to sign one of my strikers, the one I turned into a star at Chelsea, and he demanded 7.5M p/y, plus a total of 6M on fees for him and his agent (who's unfriendly despite me being the man behind the success of his protégé). And he won't budge...

Are they kidding me or what? He's on a 1M p/y contract at Chelsea, he's likely to go from Starting XI to rotation there, his favourite manager and mentor is wanting him at Barça, as First Team no less, and he's asking for a 700% raise?

This is really annoying...

Does AI adjust its demands according to how much money I have, or are the players' values just miscalculated?

I mean, at the start of the game you can find plenty of quality players for reasonable, yet realistic, prices... As years go by the prices seem to get higher and higher despite the general economy of the game staying the same.

So if in 2011 I could get a decent striker for a medium EPL side for 3-4M, in 2018 I'll need twice as much money, and it's not even guaranteed it'll be enough.

I suspect it has a lot to do with newgens and how they develop...

Super contracts at big clubs need looking into. Some of the wages and prices being asked for are pretty unrealistic and over the top.

There are a few threads about it if you search through the forums.

Why would it be linked to how regens develop when you didnt have to pay over the odds with Chelsea?

Personally i have not noticed prices going up in my game, most players are now regens and i still pay pretty low transfer fee's, but i do spend a long time finding one player.

Why would it be linked to how regens develop when you didnt have to pay over the odds with Chelsea?

I don't know, it was just an idea...

But when I was at Chelsea most newgens, even the good ones, weren't established players... so their in-game status was lower...

I usually signed promising players, aged 17-21, who at the time were youth or rotation players... basically the reserves of original db stars and prospects... So I just had to go for a reasonably good offer with incetives and it was done.

In a league where you still have the original top players AND the original hot prospect have turned into top players, even the most promising newgen will struggle to get enough exposure to see his value and his reputation skyrocket... hence you can totally sign hot prospect for less than 10M...

But when the gameworld starts to have more newgens than originals, and many newgens are inferior to their original counterpart [not in the Top Class area... it's the middle-of-the-road newgens who are still deeply flawed and inferior], the AI will have to value a promising youngster much more.

Can't it be a simple supply-demand dynamic?

I'm playing as Juventus and inquired the availability on a 33 year old Gerrard. His stats were declining an he wasn't getting much playing time, he was still going to make a decent back up. They asked for 200 million and wouldn't settle for anything less then 180 million euros. It's quite ridiculous.

I put a bid in for David De Gea after declaring interest in the second season and him gushing that he wanted to join me at United.

My bid was £11 million, he was valued at 7. I expected it to be rejected and when it was I went back in with £19 million (the amount my scout said they would do business at).

They accepted and De Gea refused to even enter contract negotiations with me. :(

I put a bid in for David De Gea after declaring interest in the second season and him gushing that he wanted to join me at United.

My bid was £11 million, he was valued at 7. I expected it to be rejected and when it was I went back in with £19 million (the amount my scout said they would do business at).

They accepted and De Gea refused to even enter contract negotiations with me. :(

That happened with me too. I unsettled Goodwille and demanded for a transfer.He said he would love to join Juventus after I had declared interest in him. I put in a bid for 3.8 million, so did Newcastle, both bids were accepted and I offered a contract. He signed with Newcastle. Go figure, I'm first in the league and I'm still in Champions league.

I've done a quick research and apparently there ALWAYS are at least 100 players with an "Asking Price" above the £40M marks pretty much at every stage of the game...

While I can see the likes of Messi or Ronaldo sort of having a sale value around 100M, and I can see how some important first team players for top clubs might have a "fictional" asking price as a way to say "not for sale unless you offer us stupid fees", some other players are just baffling...

Some names...

Squillaci, Vermaelen, Sagna and Arshavin have an asking price of 88M (maybe that's what they're worth combined IRL...)

Carrick & Fletcher could go for 94M each... a reasonable pricetag I guess. :D

Sevilla's whole starting XI has an asking price close to 100M each... I wonder how Sao Paulo managed to get Luis Fabiano for 7M...

Luca Antonini (AC Milan) 85M, while I'm dead sure Mr. Galliani would carry him on his shoulders all the way to his new club for 1/5 of that sum.

Ditto for Inter's Chivu... Also, Davide Santon would probably leave Inter Milan for much less than the 58M the game thinks he'd go for.

And the list could go on and on... you can just check it for yourself...

Basically the Asking Price seem to be determined by the stature of the club that, in turns, boosts the reputation of the player well beyond his actual ability/performance.

Be it what it is, it's still unrealistic and gamebreaking... After all if Fernando Torres left Liverpool for Chelsea for a relatively reasonable price [disregading his current form and his health], I don't see why I should be forced to pay twice Torres' value to sign the likes of Jesus Navas or Soldado.

I've done a quick research and apparently there ALWAYS are at least 100 players with an "Asking Price" above the £40M marks pretty much at every stage of the game...

While I can see the likes of Messi or Ronaldo sort of having a sale value around 100M, and I can see how some important first team players for top clubs might have a "fictional" asking price as a way to say "not for sale unless you offer us stupid fees", some other players are just baffling...

Some names...

Squillaci, Vermaelen, Sagna and Arshavin have an asking price of 88M (maybe that's what they're worth combined IRL...)

Sevilla's whole starting XI has an asking price close to 100M each... I wonder how Sao Paulo managed to get Luis Fabiano for 7M...

Luca Antonini (AC Milan) 85M, while I'm dead sure Mr. Galliani would carry him on his shoulders all the way to his new club for 1/5 of that sum.

Ditto for Inter's Chivu... Also, Davide Santon would probably leave Inter Milan for much less than the 58M the game thinks he'd go for.

Basically the Asking Price seem to be determined by the stature of the club that, in turns, boosts the reputation of the player well beyond his actual ability/performance.

Be it what it is, it's still unrealistic and gamebreaking... After all if Fernando Torres left Liverpool for Chelsea for a relatively reasonable price [disregading his current form and his health], I don't see why I should be forced to pay twice Torres' value to sign the likes of Jesus Navas or Soldado.

I signed Arshavin for £28M in season 2, so thats clearly incorrect.

I signed Arshavin for £28M in season 2, so thats clearly incorrect.

My datas were taken on season 1 day 1 of a save, basically they are "out of the box" values, but sure... things can change as the game evolves...

I also got Wilshere for 15M in season 9, but that's because he was unhappy/unsettled... But I maintain a top player (or even a semi-top one) with a high enough role at a Top Club won't move if not for a silly silly offer.

Which is ok for the Messis and the Ronaldos, but the notion of a random rotation/semi-regular "sidekick" not being for sale if not fot Torresesque fees is a bit too much to accept.

Cant really fault much of what you said there, its actually quite irritating but also its odd becuase some player fees tend to be spot on (Hamsik 26.5m,hazard 16.5; could argue that those are in fact cheap) but some are way out (perotti 58m). Not sure how its calculated but it can result in some frankly ridiculous prices

Some names...

How did you acquire those asking prices?

How did you acquire those asking prices?

FMRTE and/or Genie Scout...

And the more I think of that, the more I convince myself it's (almost) all about club's reputation...

Players at club with high reputation will almost inevitably get insane pricetags just because they happen to be okay players at a top club...

In my save Estudiantes La Plata inexplicably got a reputation of 9200 and I was unable to get an offer accepted for their ok DMC, valued at 5M...

20M were refused as if I was offering 20k to Man City... despite my scout saying an offer of 12M would have sufficed.

I tried to sign some of my former players from Chelsea, but suddenly an ok (but mentally average, 150CA/PA guy) centerback I used as rotation player is going to cost me 9-digits figure, while just a few months ago I was getting offers of 5-6M for him...

It's clearly an issue that needs some attention, as it's a potential gamebreaker for mid/long-term saves.

We can sign Hazard for a reasonable and realistic fee because we sign him from a "mediocre" club, but the moment he'll be part of a Top Club you won't be able to sign him for an equally reasonable price unless he's seriously unsettled.

Archived