Club Coefficients: Weird or Normal?

I recently noticed something that I thought was a little strange. After winning the Champions League in the 2011/12 season, I got the message that we had moved up in the club rankings. So I went over to look at the new coefficients, and was a little surprised to see that I wasn't given the biggest rise. I expected to have a massive boost given the fact that I had won the competition, but out of the 4 teams that reached the semi-final, I was actually given the least points. See screenshot below, I have attempted to highlight the numbers in question. So, basically, my question is as the topic title would suggest...Is this to be expected? Or does this strike anyone else as strange? I'm not sure how it works in real life, I don't particularly care about the numbers, I just hope my team wins :p

2qantja.jpg

It's a 5 year average so depends how much you lost from 5 years ago.

A team who won it 5 years ago and won it again would stay the same. Another team who got put out in the first round 5 years ago and got to the semis would end up with more points.

It's a 5 year average so depends how much you lost from 5 years ago.

A team who won it 5 years ago and won it again would stay the same. Another team who got put out in the first round 5 years ago and got to the semis would end up with more points.

The numbers shown above represent purely the points gained for the 2011/2012 season. As far as I'm aware they bear no relation to averages or anything to do with previous performances. I think I get what you're trying to say though, and those numbers are a completely different set, and nothing to do with this.

If you look at the coefficient page in your game, you'll see a number of columns detailing how many points have been given to each team in the past 5 seasons, their coefficient for this season, and their coefficient for next season based on their current performance. This is showing the stats for one of those individual seasons. What I'm trying to work out is how the 3 other teams that reached the semi-finals were all given more points than the team that actually won it...

The numbers shown above represent purely the points gained for the 2011/2012 season. As far as I'm aware they bear no relation to averages or anything to do with previous performances. I think I get what you're trying to say though, and those numbers are a completely different set, and nothing to do with this.

If you look at the coefficient page in your game, you'll see a number of columns detailing how many points have been given to each team in the past 5 seasons, their coefficient for this season, and their coefficient for next season based on their current performance. This is showing the stats for one of those individual seasons. What I'm trying to work out is how the 3 other teams that reached the semi-finals were all given more points than the team that actually won it...

It's complicated though. You get points for winning matches in the co-efficients too. So if a team in the Cl won all 6 of their group games and had a couple of home and away victories potentially they wouldn't be far off the points from the winners if the winners had struggles along the way.

I presume they had won more matches thorughout the champions league, ie. the group stages, winning each leg of the knockouts etc. points gained are based on wins and draws, not solely on how far in the competition you get :) If your country has a low coefficient that would also affect the team coefficient slightly.

Barcelona went 4-1-1 in the Group Stage. After that, they won 4 and lost 2 of their KO Stage matches. Then lost the Final on penalties.

I went 2-3-1 in the Group Stage. Won 3 and lost 3 of the KO Stage, and then won the Final on penalties.

I assume winning on penalties still counts as a win? or would it count as a draw?

So technically speaking, compared to them I went 6-3-4, and they went 8-1-4. If it's based purely on the results, I'm not sure that would translate into a 4.3 point gap. If it includes the Nation Coefficient, then I could perhaps understand it. Spain has a better coefficient than Italy, but then that doesn't explain Inter picking up 4 points than me. I don't have my FM open right now, but I should have compared myself against Inter, since we play in the same country, that could provide a fairer comparison...

It also depends on the path to the semis I believe. If you managed to draw the lowest ranked 2nd, 3rd and 4th seed, had an easy last 16 and an easy quarter final you'll have had far less chances to pick up points, as the wins you recorded would be against lower teams than theirs and thus worth less.

I'd say it's that, your poor overall record (you won less than half your games) and your league coefficient (although Inter would also suffer there) combined.

If you look at the coefficient page in your game.

Where can I find them, ive been looking for them for ages now? My coefficient was low last year, but should go up this time round, need to check them (sorry for hijacking thread btw)

It's kinda been answered, but to find out the number of points you got for your country (before playing a single game) just look for a team in your county that's not played European football in that year, and see how many points they got. Do the same for the other countries to determine this.

On top of which you probably simply performed worse in the group stages; or drew or lost more games in the knock out stages. In theory you could get to the final having won half and lost half of you games, for example. And then in the final you win a gainst a team that won all their other matches. They'll obviously get more points than you, despite coming second.

Thanks guys. That's answered it and cleared it up :) It's a shame you don't get some sort of bonus for actually winning it the whole thing, but I guess it's designed to benefit those teams that perform the best throughout the whole competition!

Just so you guys know, I beat Chelsea, Lyon and Inter in the Last 16, QF and SF on my way to the Final. So if there's any penalty for playing against weaker sides compared to stronger sides, I think I get the benefit of the doubt there? :p

I always enjoy learning something new, and this was no exception.

Archived