Career-defining choice: should I stay or should I go?

Which club should I manage next year?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which club should I manage next year?

• Chelsea
    • Barça

Ok, I'm usually very resolute about accepting/refusing job offers, even those who involve jumping ship mid-season, but this time I'm really torn...

Year's 2019, I've just won my (and the club's) first Champions League with Chelsea, the club is of course financially solid (surprised eh?), the wage bill has been substantially reduced and the club doesn't end up in the red in December already, the first team is young and with untapped potential, the youth squad has its share of promising kids, the staff is top-notch...

We just did the "Almost Treble" (Carling Cup, EPL and CL) and chances are it's the beginning of a long period of domination (2nd EPL title in a row).

BUT

Barça just sacked their manager (not Pep... he's at Man Utd) after a disappointing 5th place in La Liga, and they offered me a contract...

Transfer budget is 120M, wage budget an insane 200M.

The first team looks a bit understaffed, but they do have Messi (who's 31 but still winning awards for fun), Lukaku and a couple of good newgens... The reserve/youth teams are, on the other hand, just horrendous.

So...

CHELSEA:

+ I'm starting to reap what I've sown

+ It's the beginning of a winning cycle

+ Money will never be an issue

- Money not being an issue takes part of the challenge away

- In just 2 seasons I've won almost everything I could (I'm not greedy, don't care much about Quadruples etc)

- The average youth academy, the previous management and the HG rules prevent me from having a competitive side due to lack of HG-club/nation as soon as my hot U21 prospects turn 22 and need registration.

BARÇA

+ Messi

+ Tons of money

+ State of the art youth academy (hopefully with my tutoring I can get the best out of many kids who are now underdeveloped

+ An actual rebuilding challenge

+ Laxer registration rules?

- I didn't load Spanish Segund Division, so my Barcelona B squad would be unable to play "legit" matches

- The squad is REALLY poor and old, it'll be a chore getting rid of all the expensive deadwood

- Still I suspect it'd get too easy too soon

- Also, tons of money

So... what should I do?

P.S. I'll still keep a savegame from the day before accepting/refusing the job, but I've never come back to play from a different point in time... Once you get to see who'll be great in two seasons or so, what's the point of backtracking and taking advantage of hindsight?

(but it's ok if I regret the choice earlier on, say 2-3 months)

Although I am biased, I'd say Chelsea and try and overhaul Man Utd's 19 titles, over take Fergie as the best of all time. Plus with Barca your only competition is Madrid, at Chelsea you've got Utd, City, Arsenal etc all vying for the title

I always like to stay.

Playing as luton, I was offered top jobs during my rapid ascent up the divisions. I was then offered the Man United job while struggling to stay up in my first season.

Second season I won the League Cup and finished in the top half. 3rd season I'm through to the knockout stages of the UEFA Cup and 2nd in the league, a long way behind Man City but still in with a small chance, plus a very good chance of Champions League football.

If I'd moved, my favourite save would have been just another save.

I'm going to say...stay with Chelsea. It seems there's still a lot to work on there.

You can't guarantee your short term success. Anything can (and will) happen, especially when it comes to the AI. You can easily screw up in a game and find yourself out of Europe or the FA Cup or whatever. :p

Another thing you can look at is turning Chelsea into a profitable business. With the Russian guy there, you don't have to worry a single bit about finances. But that doesn't mean to say you can't aim to at least have your club running sustainably without the need for additional investment from him...

Archived