To those who say it is impossible to cut out long shots

At least once a week I see a thread with somebody complaining that you can't stop your team taking long shots, and that no matter what they do their team keeps on taking almost all of their shots from outside of the area.

I just thought that I would post up a few screenshots to show that it is perfectly possible to keep your team from taking long shots and in the hope that this might make shut of the people who just bitch & moan all the time shut up.

accringtonvlancastercit.png

lancastercityvcolcheste.png

lancastercityvcrewestat.png

lancastercityvqprstatsm.png

lancastercityvwycombest.png

These are the match stats from my last 5 games.

As you can see, I've had 77 shots, only 12 of them from range.

Now there wasn't really any point in posting this thread, I just wanted to try and prove to those people that constantly whine that the game is bugged that it isn't and the fact your team keeps taking long shots is down to your tactics.

Players shoot from distance for one or more of these reasons:

A. They have the pariah-like "shoots from distance" PPM

B. They have a too attacking mentality, prompting them to shoot from any range or angle because that is what you do when you're desperate for a goal

C. The players in front of the shooter does not move correctly, are marked or does not make themselves avaialble for a pass

D. The shooter has a low Decisions, Team Work, Creativity or Pressure attribute (any number of those, really)

E. The shooter is over-motivated (i.e has lost his cool).

I just thought that I would post up a few screenshots to show that it is perfectly possible to keep your team from taking long shots and in the hope that this might make shut of the people who just bitch & moan all the time shut up.

That will never ever work. Even when you link them to this thread, they'll ignore you and continue bitching.

That will never ever work. Even when you link them to this thread, they'll ignore you and continue bitching.

This.

OP: The thread would have been more useful had you shared how you have managed to stop your team from taking pot-shots from outside of the area...

I have a centre-mid who has the PPM "looks for pass instead of trying to score" and his individual instructions have Long Shots set to rarely... even when the pass is on he tries to shoot :s

The tempo and time wasting of your tactic is also important. If time wasting is set to rarely the players will be in a hurry to make something happen and if no play is "on" and there are no passing options in front of him he will just shoot instead of pass back to the defense.

This.

OP: The thread would have been more useful had you shared how you have managed to stop your team from taking pot-shots from outside of the area...

I have a centre-mid who has the PPM "looks for pass instead of trying to score" and his individual instructions have Long Shots set to rarely... even when the pass is on he tries to shoot :s

I have similar issues with my current side. We tend to win most games regardless but for the life of me I cant stop my MCs and AMs charging forward and walloping the ball, even when theres clearly an easy pass on and in some cases someone set up to score an easy tap in. Nearly every player is set to long shots rarely, I hardly ever play super high or low mentalities, can't understand it. That said I dont think its some rigged game thing, I just think my players tend to be quite flairy and creative so often ignore my commands and try for spectacular goals. I think some players are just more prone to long shots regardless what settings you use.

Archived