FM is listening to what you say!!

I can't really count how many times I or one of my friends who I play with have said things like "they haven't created a chance this game!" and then immediately they score a fantastic goal, or "hmm, no injuries this game - weird" and then *bam* 4 month injury the next second.

It is intelligent too, doesn't buy into reverse psychology at all! "ooooh daaamn I won't score THIS game, no chance at all"... FM sees through such feeble attempt like a x-ray vision eagle.

It needs to be honest, and you can't plan to use this hidden feature to your benefit. Of course, if you actually mean wholeheartedly that "they are going to score on a 40-yard long shot this game since none of their players have higher than 5 long shots" this may either come true because SI is evil incarnate, or they may see the need of mercy and let you do it instead. Either way, it is best to keep your mouth (and mind) shut when you play FM - because they are listening... scouting for a slip of tongue or thought that would enable the AI to retaliate on or bless you, depending on how nicely you have treated SI and FM lately.

So say your daily prayers to The Creator (of virtual football management) and bless the workings of the Divine ME, and the next time you say "oh my god my strikers wouldn't score even if they played 180 minutes, or 24 hours, today!" you may be surprised to find that inexplicably, they do - the next second.

Oh, but FM knows what you think as well.

Exactly! The scary part is that if you try it out, it won't work - FM sees through such attempts. It must be heartfelt exclamations of anger or hope, without manipulation in mind. Then you can see for yourself that FM listens...

• 4 months later...
Lads this thread is from May.

A good reason to bump it then ;)

To be honest I shamelessly linked to it in another, more recent thread on (almost) the same topic. I hope that one day SI will acknowledge that they consciously programmed FM to create an impression of carved-in-stone patterns, just to allow them to program an exception from it.

I.E, in the 2nd minute your striker has a shot in the woodwork, and I am convinced that 99,98% of us facepalms crying out in despair "oh noes! No goals for me this match! And then in the 90th minute they will score on their only chance in the match!" and this will happen nine out of ten times... just to give you that "Oh!" experience when you actually do score despite the pattern of woodwork = sign of a (team-wide) goal drought coming.

Have you try join 8 or 10 friends and make a chain of thoughts... A real powerful one.

All of you singing, and praising to score a goal!

This is the trick with FM2012! Forget tactics, forget team talks... it's all on your mind!

oh, and very important... leave the drugs! :)

Have you try join 8 or 10 friends and make a chain of thoughts... A real powerful one.

All of you singing, and praising to score a goal!

This is the trick with FM2012! Forget tactics, forget team talks... it's all on your mind!

oh, and very important... leave the drugs! :)

This is essentially what football fans are for, and is, in simpler terms, called "winner culture" (in Norwegian at least). A club, its players and fans, the city... if they are used to winning they have a different state of mind than if they aren't.

My team, Molde FK, isn't used to winning. The club has existed for a 100 years without winning the league once (although several cup titles), but has "won" the silver medal many times. Being at the top of the table with an 8-point lead 4 rounds to go, the town is in a special state of mind. No-one wants to be the one who says that we cannot possibly waste this chance, that the title is ours already. Although most of us are probably thinking just that, so if this was FM and not RL we would have screwed up for sure!

Knowing past failures in similar situations (for instance the season manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær went to Manchester United halfways through and the team collapsed), the whole town is bracing itself for disappointment, while nervousness increases. The team is still unbeaten for several matches (only one loss the last thirteen matches; away vs archrivals Rosenborg), though, and the players don't seem particularly nervous at all.

The difference is Solskjær and his coaching team; guys who are used to winning, to be on top and thrive under the pressure.

Back to the point: the chain of thoughts you are talking about is essentially the same thing as "winner culture". No magic, though, only collective states of mind ;)

Archived