AFC Wimbledon in the League... And it's not fantasy football

Long termers who have been around the SI / Football Manager community for a few years will no doubt join in my congratulations to AFC Wimbledon (sponsored for obvious reasons by SI) as they won promotion to the Football League for 2011/12, less than 10 years after the fans of the Club, real football fans every one of them, were rewarded for their determination in rebuilding the Club from the ashes of the knife-in-the-back they got way back when.

:applause::D :D :applause:

Good luck to AFCW next year

The founders of AFC Wimbledon would have done that if they would have been allowed to, but they werent. Keep in mind as well, the founders of AFC Wimbledon started up a couple of divisions under MKFranchise, where also the funding would be equally lower. That statement of yours shows nothing else than disrespect to all the fans of the real dons. What they have achieved, have never been achieved before, and will never be done again. Period. What is a shame, is that the move was ever allowed, shame on the FA for that. Instead we can celebrate the first real victory for the fans of football.

At the same time, I would like to add that Luton played well, they showed great team spirit and conducted themself in a manner noteworty to any football fans, even after the last penalty. Thank you Hatters, and good luck next season, I really do hope you earn promotion, you deserve it.

Shame the founders of AFC did not put that money into the old Wimbledon to stop the move ever happening!

The founders have nothing to do with the old regime, you are misguided in your facts, Wimbledon were shafted by crooked FA chiefs, biggest travesty in football history.

Glad my team is back where they belong and it's been dull place without them, well done AFC Wimbledon, you did us proud :)

Shame the founders of AFC did not put that money into the old Wimbledon to stop the move ever happening!

Folks, I'd rather this didn't turn into a slagging match. The above post was, perhaps, simply misinformed. For info, the founders of AFC Wimbledon are actually the fans of the old Wimbledon who wanted the team to remain in, well, Wimbledon but there was others, with support from officialdom for some reason, who wanted to move the Club elsewhere. Which they did....the real fans decided to quit their support of the Club because, to them, it wasn't the same Club any more.

In the same context, I'm a Man United fan yet I'm also supportive of FCUM because it is a real Club owned and funded by real fans of the 'old' Man United as they feel that since the Glazier's takeover, it's not the same Club any more.

So, let's leave it at that, shall we? Well done AFCW and well done Luton Town. Both teams contributed to a match that was end-to-end, attack minded football. The only negative was that it went to Penalties...

Regards

Ron

The founders have nothing to do with the old regime, you are misguided in your facts, Wimbledon were shafted by crooked FA chiefs, biggest travesty in football history.

Yep, to make it perfect would be if MK FA Franchise got relegated out of the league in a couple of years time.

Shouldn't this be in the OTF football forum, and not here, as it really has nothing to do with the game.

Brian, you're right. It doesn't and if any moderator is reading, perhaps they'd close the thread? The connection between FM/SI and AFCW is the reason I posted my congratulations. I wasn't hoping for an ongoing thread.

Ron

PM one, and they'll move it for you, or merge it with an existing thread with the same purpose.

And by the way you can add my congratulations to the list. I always had a soft spot for the old real Wimbledon, Joe Kinnear & Kenny Cunningham.

As Dons fan I just want to say thanks to all those congratulating the team. I just hope they can consolidate their new league position and grow steadily from there... South London should be proud!

Anyway for anyone interested here is a vid I made at the final today giving a fan's perspective of the penalties (well most of them) and subsequent celebrations.

Commiserations to Luton - they played well today and like Wimbledon have also had poor treatment at the hands of the footballing authorities...

Archived