Am I cheating?

Or 'exploiting a flaw in the whateverwhatever'. It involves FM10 and corners. Both of which I'm not sure are valid forum matter, I apologise if I'm breaching any rules. (I did a search but nothing remotely relevant appeared; within the last decade anyway).

Anyway, recently I changed my corner routine, positioning my monster CB (20 jumping, 20 strength, 18 heading) to stand on far post, with (usually) my 19 for corners winger directing them to "far post". The result has been my abnormally mammoth stopper bagging 14 goals in 19 games, and I feel kinda skanky about my succeses. Is it just a purple patch, my supreme tactical genius or (more likely) a flaw in the ME?

I've attempted to spoilerise it in case I'm inadvertently defying some netherrule or other. Guidance appreciated.

If you see it as cheating, then it's cheating. Everyone will have different views on this. But it's your game and you can do what you want. If you're happy to use this to get by in your game, then there is no reason why you shouldn't, no matter what anyone else says.

The only thing I would say is that it does make the game unrealistic. It requires no tactical skill to achieve, and would seem to guarantee you a return of almost a goal a game. To me it would be on a par with quitting and reloading whenever you lose matches to try and get a different result. I used to do that, and I never really enjoyed the games much. The ones I have enjoyed, and have lasted me longest, are the ones where I let things happen as they will. As much as they frustrate me, if I take the losses as they come, in the long term I get more satisfaction. Just as I get satisfaction out of knowing that I achieve all my victories through a mixture of luck, tactical skill and sheer awesomeness :D Luck being the most important one obviously :p

In my opinion there is no such thing as 'cheating' when you're not measured against anyone else. If you're in a single player game you're only measured against yourself, and therefor there is no such thing as 'cheating'. The definition of 'cheating' is to dishonestly gain an unfair advantage, which is hard to do against yourself as you're fully aware of what you're doing.

The only thing that matters in a single player game is that you're enjoying the experience. If that means scoring more from corners, go for it. If it means using real-time editors, go for it. This whole moral high ground about 'cheating' is ridiculous, especially since your actions doesn't affect anyone else's gaming experience. Do whatever makes your game experience enjoyable and don't weigh your actions against what people here claim is the "right" way of playing.

I remember coming across this by accident, and then I read about it on here as being a 'cheat'. I carried on using it, because why not?

I found it myself as well, but I wasn't happy with the number of goals so switched things about to tone it down.

It can't really be classed as 'cheating', since no one is getting cheated (provided it is not a network game or anything like that). I think you just need to decide for yourself whether you are enjoying the game playing like that, that is the only thing that really matters.

The simple awnser is yes you are cheating. You are cheating yourselves!! How boring the game must be if all your sucess comes down to a little sneaky corner bug/default with micah richards scoring 40 goals a season......

I have a player who's good at corners, have him attack the far post (where most corner goals seem to come from) and he has bagged me an average of 8 goals a season :)

No. If you've come across it by yourself, by using perfectly reasonable tactics, then it's not cheating. It's perfectly acceptable and expected to get your talented corner taker to aim for the head of your supremely aerially talented player, it would be stupid not to. Anyone who says this is cheating is an idiot and I make no exceptions.

Whereas with the edge of box corner tactic, that simply wouldn't be done in real life and was a deliberate attempt to cheat, which you haven'y done.

It may be considered a fault in the game though, and it's up to you whether you want to keep going with your perfectly legitimate tactic which you came up with, or whether you'd like to tone it down and get more realistic returns from your CB's. But I state again, it's not cheating.

I had my delivery on mixed and no matter what my one CB would score if he was attacking the near post or far post. He got around 15 plus from corners and another 10 from free kicks and penalties, not bad for some with 11 for jumping and 13 for heading.

The only thing that matters in a single player game is that you're enjoying the experience. If that means scoring more from corners, go for it. If it means using real-time editors, go for it. This whole moral high ground about 'cheating' is ridiculous, especially since your actions doesn't affect anyone else's gaming experience. Do whatever makes your game experience enjoyable and don't weigh your actions against what people here claim is the "right" way of playing.

Quoted for Truth.

In my opinion there is no such thing as 'cheating' when you're not measured against anyone else. If you're in a single player game you're only measured against yourself, and therefor there is no such thing as 'cheating'. The definition of 'cheating' is to dishonestly gain an unfair advantage, which is hard to do against yourself as you're fully aware of what you're doing.

Indeed.

I had the new corner routine last season with my striker standing on near post and corners being aimed there but after scoring 28 goals from corners while the next best team had something like 14 I stopped using it this season because it somehow felt wrong to me scoring twice the amount from corners then the next best team.

The thing I did that yields a much better and more realistic result from corners imo is to still use the same setup but set my corners to mixed so that a lot less corners are actually aimed towards the near post. I still get some goals from corners but they are very few now and more in line with other teams in the PL.

Thanks. Cheating it is then; or at least rendering the game horribly unrealistic. Neither of which I desire, 15 seasons into a game where I've taken a club Blue Premier North to first Premiership title last year. Your latter statement is what I'll be doing, and largely have been doing, Flohrinho, and I've never noticed my Goals From Corners stat being out of the ordinary.

I don't necessarily agree that 'if you have to ask, you're cheating; if my target didn't have 20 jumping, 20 strength and 18 heading, and my taker 19 for corners, I'd have suspected something suspect earlier. It's only when he started bagging 3 and 4 goals in games did I small an ME flaw, at which point tbf I did know it was cheating.:D

I'm all Steamed and 3rd-patched-up, by the by.

Archived