Online Pick Up Game Mode

I think FM should really expand the multiplayer options. One of the things I'd like to see is online pick up mode. Not everyone can commit to full blown online seasons, but they would still like to play a game or two against human players every now and then.

The most common way to approach this would be a lobby, similar to Battle.Net.

There anyone can host a game, and anyone can choose to pick up the challenge. So it's bit like Online Chess lobby, if you can't imagine it.

The host then get to set the rules, such as:

1. Game time

90 min

90 min + extra time

90 min + penalty

90 min + extra time + penalty

2. Game Mode

Normal - Pick a real life team each

All-stars - Pick their own players from a pool. Can choose same players

Fantasy - Pick their own players from a pool, but under a certain amount of value like in the fantasy games (this might be a bit of work though, since players will need to be given value.) Cannot pick same players.

Draft - Take turns picking players from a pool. Cannot pick the same players.

Draft Fantasy - Self explanatory

Players' Teams - Each player is allowed to load a team from their own singleplayer save to compete. This will allow them to use a team that they know best, and have put in (virtual) years of work to perfect.

3. Pool size

League - Pick the league(s) from which the teams/players will be chosen

Nation - Pick the nationality(ies) from which the players must be chosen from

Custom - Custom list of teams and leagues from which the teams/players will be chosen from

Team locks - Pick the two teams the host want to play

4. Stadium

5. Weather

6. Referee

There could be more things, but those are just some quick brainstorming as I'm writing this post.

I think that this game mode can really bring the whole FM experience to a whole new level. There are very few things in gaming more fun, exciting, and challenging than competing against other players. It's great for people who might only have time for proper FM games in the weekend, but want a quick fix of game or two during the weekdays (ie. Me :o) It'll help foster the community, especially if the lobby has a chat room. It'll help people test new tactics. Etc Etc.

I genuinely think that this could be the next big improvement to the FM franchise. :thup:

Its a nice idea. It gives people who play very casually to just come and go and have some fun against their mates online.

However, the whole point of the game is to tailor a team to the way you play and manage, therefore having one or two games against a mate would not let you know your squad, train them, get them familiar with your tactics etc.

There could be a place for this, however I personally would want to play seasons at a time to have a big effect on the way my team plays.

Your points are completely valid of course. This should in no way compete with the main game. FM is what it is because it is the most complete football management game. However, I think this kind of multiplayer mode would be a nice compliment.

If I'm going to play my save, especially my main one, then I'd like to do it for about 2-3 hours straight. However, I don't have that kind of time during the midweek, and there are times, during the midweek, I just want a game or two, and this game mode could be very welcomed.

It'll also help with other things, such as testing tactics.

Your point about playing your own team is an important one of course. I should take that into account, and add another possible mode into the OP.

Cheers.

Archived