Rating referees, a thought.

Seeing how referees in youth games tend to be allocated games by location and are usually rated by the club managers (this is especially so in Wales) are there any plans on a referee's rating/feedback system in the future?

I understand referees at least at that level get marked by the managers of the respective clubs they are refereeing. I also understand assessors don't generally get to view those games on a regular basis (It's very different in the English Leagues whereby there are assessors at most if not every game). So I was curious about if it was in consideration.

On another note; I would like to see more media/FA interaction options related to referees. I'm especially keen in my current game to tell a certain (it's just the one) referee to be more lenient and more sensible at the level he's refereeing (he's clearly leaving the rule book at home... We are advised to referee as per player ability, so I expect a crap under 18's player to be let off on a lot more things outside of stupid challenges etc). It would be nice if some feedback system was enacted since it is in place IRL in any case.

Probably a minor thing, I'm just curious about the subject matter.

Seeing how referees in youth games tend to be allocated games by location and are usually rated by the club managers (this is especially so in Wales) are there any plans on a referee's rating/feedback system in the future?

I understand referees at least at that level get marked by the managers of the respective clubs they are refereeing. I also understand assessors don't generally get to view those games on a regular basis (It's very different in the English Leagues whereby there are assessors at most if not every game). So I was curious about if it was in consideration.

On another note; I would like to see more media/FA interaction options related to referees. I'm especially keen in my current game to tell a certain (it's just the one) referee to be more lenient and more sensible at the level he's refereeing (he's clearly leaving the rule book at home... We are advised to referee as per player ability, so I expect a crap under 18's player to be let off on a lot more things outside of stupid challenges etc). It would be nice if some feedback system was enacted since it is in place IRL in any case.

Probably a minor thing, I'm just curious about the subject matter.

Why?

If they get used to having a relaxed referee who doesn't call them up on things then surely it can't help when they move up a level or when they get a stricter referee.

Well in real life there will be assesors from the FA monitoring the games, however i dont think anything like this should be in the game, as ultimately it is about your managerial career, and the clubs you manage. There is no need for the assesors? unless you want some satisfaction after getting screwed over by the ref to see him get a really poor rating. As a manager you are not allowed to make remarks or comments about how good or bad you think a referee is in a game or in general. Only recently alex ferguson and carlo ancelotti got warned for doing just that!

Personally,

I think its a nice idea... yet wouldnt have much point or use in the game.

Why?

If they get used to having a relaxed referee who doesn't call them up on things then surely it can't help when they move up a level or when they get a stricter referee.

Something to do with not expecting youth players nor those who aren't capable of playing at a decent/high level. The general idea is that referee's are meant to referee to the level of the players, thus we're meant to be a lot more forgiving when refereeing say, Sunday League park football games in comparision to refereeing at the Welsh League and or the Welsh Premier. Obviously I'm not saying silly tackles should go unpunished etc but it is a point I'd like to raise.

Well in real life there will be assesors from the FA monitoring the games, however i dont think anything like this should be in the game, as ultimately it is about your managerial career, and the clubs you manage. There is no need for the assesors? unless you want some satisfaction after getting screwed over by the ref to see him get a really poor rating. As a manager you are not allowed to make remarks or comments about how good or bad you think a referee is in a game or in general. Only recently alex ferguson and carlo ancelotti got warned for doing just that!

Personally,

I think its a nice idea... yet wouldnt have much point or use in the game.

Yeah, there are assessors for the English Leagues especially. But speaking from experience at the youth level and beyond the football league and especially in the Welsh Leagues there aren't usually assesors at games. Managers get to rate and provide feedback on referees. Obviously there are stipulations and regulations on this, they can't go round giving a poor mark simply because things didn't go their way etc.

To give a more solid reason why I thought it might be nice to contribute to referees in game; There's one particular ref at U18's level who is going near enough 2 reds every game. Not exclusively to my team. He's also accused of bias quite often. Thus apart from the odd league game he's stuck in the U18's (and this is true to life, he's inconsistent, too strict and isn't learning so I'm not surprise the FA has offloaded him onto the youth leagues and blocked him from progressing) but I wouldn't mind being able to comment to the FA behind the scenes (or speak with the ref) and say "Look, you're ruining the games consistently because you're expecting the players to be super-stars, chill out" and hopefully he'll either be removed from the league which, doesn't suit him or he'll buck his performances up.

I understand it's not likely to be implemented as it's a management game but I think it's a nice if low priority feature, there's plenty of good managers behind the scenes that have really dispensed with good wisdom and advice to refs (when they're not the Warnock "rant and rave" type... in my experience IRL anyway)

Something to do with not expecting youth players nor those who aren't capable of playing at a decent/high level. The general idea is that referee's are meant to referee to the level of the players, thus we're meant to be a lot more forgiving when refereeing say, Sunday League park football games in comparision to refereeing at the Welsh League and or the Welsh Premier. Obviously I'm not saying silly tackles should go unpunished etc but it is a point I'd like to raise.

Horrible reasoning that. When I played youth football, we expected to be refereed to the same standards as if we were playing at the highest level (i.e. a far higher standard than is set by PL referees). This is the kind of refereeing that get's players legs broken, promising careers destroyed and the little bullies the confirmation that their actions are not alone just tolerated but encouraged, and is a stupid idea to ensure the integrity of the game.

I think lower league referees (i.e. non-professional) are supposed to be laxer because lesser players can't necessarily time their tackles well. They aren't laxer on aggression, or dissent- if anything, they're encouraged to be tougher.

If a top professional does a really bad tackle, chances are he meant it and should be sent off. Generally, if a lower league player means to hurt someone, they'll succeed, but it will be obvious, whereas they won't always execute genuine attempts to win the ball as well as Alex Song or John Obi Mikel.

Horrible reasoning that. When I played youth football, we expected to be refereed to the same standards as if we were playing at the highest level (i.e. a far higher standard than is set by PL referees). This is the kind of refereeing that get's players legs broken, promising careers destroyed and the little bullies the confirmation that their actions are not alone just tolerated but encouraged, and is a stupid idea to ensure the integrity of the game.

Eh, as SCIAG points out; All referees are meant to clamp down on horrow tackles, anything deliberate and so on and so forth.

If I treated the Sunday league footballer like I do the semi-pro footballers there wouldn't be any players on the pitch! (And that's on amount of minor fouls rather than any big hoo-hah fouls now...)

Eh, as SCIAG points out; All referees are meant to clamp down on horrow tackles, anything deliberate and so on and so forth.

If I treated the Sunday league footballer like I do the semi-pro footballers there wouldn't be any players on the pitch! (And that's on amount of minor fouls rather than any big hoo-hah fouls now...)

Fine then, within about three months if the referees did their jobs properly, then people wouldn't be going in with tackles that should see them off. It's not your fault that either a) the player cannot tackle, and therefore shouldn't be, or b) the player either of his own volition or through instructions decides to perform unlicenced surgery on someone's knee while using his studs.

That's what I don't get when people make the arguement "oh there'd be too many players sent off" when agreeing with me on all other points re refs being too lenient. It is not the referee's job to see both teams end up with 11 men, but their respective managers. The referee is to a) ensure the rules of the game are adhered to, b) punish transgressions appropriately (which will never mean more leniently due to circumstances) and c) ensure injuries are avoided and when they do happen, ensure swift and efficient treatement by proper staff.

Archived