Signing youngsters

Is there a way to sign youngsters who you think have potential and then put them in the U19 for a season? I've tried this a few times with Barca, and I sign potential and them immediately drop them to the U19s and they straight away get upset and end up wanting to move?

Well it depends.. set their squad status to hot prospect and no higher, otherwise they will automatically expect to be played at least a few times. Also they will want to move if they are better than the rest of the team in the reserves but cannot break into the first team. A prime example of this would be Danny Sturridge. Brought from city, a few seasons later he was outclassing the reserves and could easily play for a premiership/high championship club. However Chelsea wouldnt play him regularly enough for him to find form, and therefore he wanted to leave on loan, which he did, and now hes back at Chelsea, he has issued a play me or sell me warning to Carlo Ancelotti.

So basically,

1. Make sure the reserves/u19s you put him in are all of an equal quality to him

2. Make sure the squad status is no higher than Hot Prospect

If this doesnt work, then try to send him out on loan, but only to a club that state "he will be a valuable member of the first team" or something along those lines. DO NOT send him somewhere that want him as back up, as he will not get much playing time at all.

I only ever tend to sign anyone under 19 as a "hot prospect" at most.

Only in exceptional circumstances, if they're genuinely good enough to be playing week in, week out, do I offer them better squad status terms.

Archived