Complacency and "I expect you to pick up where you left off"

So what's the verdict on this team talk option as far as complacency is concerned? Is it a pressure-building talk or a confidence-building talk? In other words, does it guard against complacency or does it just pump up the player's ego?

im not honestly sure, i dont normally use it but last season 2 seasons ive been using it with one of my regen strikers(along with private chat to tell him how awesome he was after the games) to keep his form going, banged over 80 goals in those two seasons. All i can say is that he wasnt quite as prolific in the years before

Depends on the personality of the player I think. It was quite powerful in FM2010, but in 11 it can sometimes cause players to completely crumble. I use it sparingly on players whom I know will 9 times out of 10 get fired up or motivated. I avoid using it on defenders because it's not worth risking them getting all nervy (especially when "no pressure" at half time doesn't help them O_o) and causing them to ruin the defence >.<

So what's the verdict on this team talk option as far as complacency is concerned? Is it a pressure-building talk or a confidence-building talk? In other words, does it guard against complacency or does it just pump up the player's ego?

I've only had 'i expect you to pick up where you left off' noticably make any difference to one player. All others seemed to put in an average performance, but one in particular used to make him play well.

For me it usually motivates the player in question (or does nothing). Never seen a complacency problem when using this option. You are encouraging the player to play as good as the previous match so I guess different personalities will react differently. Some will feel pressured others motivated.

Not saying that you prasing him didnt help. But if he is a regen. Maybe after 2 seasons he just started becoming good? Its a possibility. Could be conicidence. But we'll never know ;)

he hasnt improved drastically since i signed him so i dont think that would be the case, i got him at 21 or 22 i think he's now 26 coming 27 yes coming into his peak but like i said he hasnt improved drastically he was already pretty much teh finished product after a year or 2s training, him being a regen doesnt differ from any other young player who starts the game at an accomplished level.

also in relation to my first post and wahts being said about player personalities, he does seem to lose moral occasionally when managers/ex players etc single him out to watch out for, if this help the op make his mind up any

For me it usually motivates the player in question (or does nothing). Never seen a complacency problem when using this option. You are encouraging the player to play as good as the previous match so I guess different personalities will react differently. Some will feel pressured others motivated.

This. It does depend on the personality. Most of my players are determined and professional, and it either motivates them or does nothing. However, my younger players can get nervous - low pressure hidden att, presumably.

"pick up where you left off!" is only available as a team-talk if the player's last game was over a certain rating (7.6 I think?)

I can tell you that it works for roughly half of my squad, (give or take a couple) and by works I mean they put in an equal or better performance than their last... however on the other half of the squad there is either no real difference - except one P-taker who sometimes puts in a blinder and other times does "just enough" - or it causes them to have a below par performance.

Of the half that it "works" for, several of them prefer me to use it away from home, others prefer at home but three of my key players will perform home or away, big game or not, practically 100% of the time :D

It's made no noticeable difference for me. On FM10 I used to get a good grasp on when, and to whom, to use lines like this or "no pressure" or "I have faith". Not on FM11 it seems.

Would be nice for SI to offer better feedback on the in-game tips rather than the gems I see like,

"A player with a good attribute for corners (or penalties) is a good choice to select to take corners (or penalties)".

Just seems a bit of a lottery now, no matter how well I get to know my players. It's tactics, morale, and players that make a difference for me now. Especially morale!!

11 of my players with 'superb' morale beats my other 11 with lower morale and yet better attributes.

Archived