So frustrating!

I won npower League 2 last season, completely dominating it, in the end I had over 10 points lead to the next team. Anyway this season in npower League 1, I'm getting my arse kicked by everyone and after 10 games my team only has 4! points. I have no idea what is going, in many matches my assistant actually says that we are in control etc. but I still end losing those games. I need help quick lol :D

There shouldn't be that big a difference between L2 and L1. You are in a run of poor form and need to say the right things to your players to motivate them. How are you conceding goals? Counterattacks? Set pieces? Extended play?

Well in many games my team concedes goal during the first 10 mins, and after that the game calms down. My side seems to be unable to control the ball in front of my goal, basically it almost looks like the opposition just walks in and scores. Sometimes they get in with crosses from the sides, but mostly they just walk the ball in. I haven't had much problems with set pieces.

The answer to most "why?" question in FM is "reputation." In your new league you have a low reputation, so the other teams see you as easy points and go attacking. There's no reason why you shouldn't do well but you need to adopt a more counter-attacking style than last year.

Probably.

Well in many games my team concedes goal during the first 10 mins, and after that the game calms down. My side seems to be unable to control the ball in front of my goal, basically it almost looks like the opposition just walks in and scores. Sometimes they get in with crosses from the sides, but mostly they just walk the ball in. I haven't had much problems with set pieces.

Seems like they are nervous or have poor morale, or both. I would recommend both a tactical adjustment and low-pressure, high-motivating team talks like You Can Win This or No Pressure. Of course, you'd have to figure out who tolerates pressure and who don't in order to put more pressure on the former type (which motivates them more, at a higher risk) and less on the latter. Try to avoid using players with OK or less morale if possible (regardless of player quality except in exreme cases - the difference is not that big in L1).

The tactical adjustment would be to drop deeper, employ a defensive midfielder or two, play more directly and go for a counter-attacking style. Also, if you play wide try playing more narrowly, as this will help against the walk-into-the-net goals and is good when you don't intend to outplay the opponent with possession football.

Did you bring in many new faces? Did you keep with the tactics you used for league 2 (as these obviously worked best). If not, do this now.

Keep tweaking things until you get it right.

Remember, you are expected to be in a survival fight, small teams that go up a division generally should expect that.

Thanks for the advice all, been doing lot better after going for bit more defensive strategy. Went from attacking to control for my home game strat, and from standard to counter for away games(also changed from direct to short passes).

Archived