Hello from FML..

Hi, well my gameworld in Football Manager Live shut this morning. Very sad.

So I'm waiting on my steam code for the free version of FM11, as I stuck with FML to the bitter end. I understand tho, the 'online' features of FM11 aren't really suited to our style of play.

Do you think introducing a new gamemode would interest the FM playerbase?

Something along the lines of...

Start with low money, low talent players and build your club up. No reloads, no editing. Limited database. 2 'offline' modes. Friendly and Competition. Competiton games age your players (60 games a season or so). XP and money for winning competition games. Xp to spend on managerial skills, cash for players. You could even develop new youth 'offline',and bring them through into the seniors..

Then take your team online versus other players, in a global ranking system...

What do you think?

Yeah it was one of the most quoted reasons for quitting I gather. I always managed to find a nice balance between AI and Human. But I'm sure you'd have a few hundred/thousand FML addicts who'd lurk in the game lobby. Even at stupid hours of the day/night 8)

If not then you can always play the AI for cash. Hell you don't even need to go online, you could just play thro AI competitions. It also means that even if you have the same player, they'd be different ages. It's a compromise - a melding together of both styles of gameplay. It would also allow you to buy back stars that you liked, after they got too old from playing 7-8 seasons - or play with newgens.

I'm just tossing ideas about really, I know a lot of people are going to miss FML and have a huge hole in their life. Me included. And we're all looking about for something similar to play - the options are so poor 8(

I never played FML. However. I think that it would be amazingly cool if there was an online mode offering players the chance to pick any team from a selection of like 10 of the most popular leagues in the world. (once a team has been picked, they cannot be picked by anyone else... kinda like first come first served type thing. ideally there would be a few game worlds. There should be a month of selection, for all of the players participating to pick their clubs. Then the game should start. And it would be, EXACTLY the same as the offline mode, just with other people from all over the world playing as the other teams. How sick would that be!

The turn based game system is solved by playing out the season as it would be done in real life. Therefore time would just keep rolling on. and on match day, if you are playing at the time of the match, you can do your tactics etc, however if you're not, you would be able to preset tactics in the week.

The idea is basically like a bigger, and much BETTER experiance of xpert eleven. (www.xperteleven.com)

What do you think?

(and is this really similar to FML? I have never played it, so i wouldnt know :p)

It seems, as with most MMO's - your experience varied depending on the server/people. But I had a blast on both Nicholson and Valderrama. Yes, I did lose my rag a little on the forums over youth progression... But even if I feel they have a problem sometimes in communicating well with the community, they still make mighty fine footie games.

A lot of people were annoyed at low player interaction, but there were new leagues specifically designed for Human vs Human. Get above 25% AI games and you got moved. And there was always banter and mindgames 8))

But people hate losing. No one liked finishing bottom. I think that's been the one reason given for it failing over time, that I would agree with wholehartedly. Hence why I think a blend of 'offline' and 'online' would need to be met. I'm really going to miss logging in and seeing how my competition are doing, and developing young players through the ranks. I won the u18 cup in the PFA in my final season, was a good way to finish for me.

I think a lot of players missed out on a truely great game. Yes it had it's problems early on, but I had hope. I think the final version we were playing had ironed out a lot of the issues, and would have been a lot of fun if the GW's were full. We'll never know. I'm suprised a lot more of you didn't try it. I know it's caused some flames in these forums before, so I won't go there...

But you guys must admit the Online part of this forum makes some very scary reading...

I never played FML. However. I think that it would be amazingly cool if there was an online mode offering players the chance to pick any team from a selection of like 10 of the most popular leagues in the world. (once a team has been picked, they cannot be picked by anyone else... kinda like first come first served type thing. ideally there would be a few game worlds. There should be a month of selection, for all of the players participating to pick their clubs. Then the game should start. And it would be, EXACTLY the same as the offline mode, just with other people from all over the world playing as the other teams. How sick would that be!

The turn based game system is solved by playing out the season as it would be done in real life. Therefore time would just keep rolling on. and on match day, if you are playing at the time of the match, you can do your tactics etc, however if you're not, you would be able to preset tactics in the week.

The idea is basically like a bigger, and much BETTER experiance of xpert eleven. (www.xperteleven.com)

What do you think?

(and is this really similar to FML? I have never played it, so i wouldnt know :p)

Excellent idea and one I think will be inevitable one day. Online gaming is a gold-mine if done properly, and SI could make a fortune if they provided dedicated servers to a well run and implemented online mode. I always thought FML was more of a "test the waters" thing, trying new ideas and new tech, and at the same time having hundreds of people giving them feedback. It'll be back, not how it was but more along the lines of what you wrote i.e. a persistant real-time game-world and similar to how other online games work (like WoW or Eve Online) in so far as how they're ran and implemented.

One thing I'd add though is the idea of multiple gameworlds. I'm not a fan of them. I think there's enough teams and leagues in existance to go around (there's 1000's already in the default DB) and 1000's more not even entered. Yes it'd mean some players would have to manage teams from the outer-mongolian 4th division, but imagine the prestiege of being manager of Man U, or Barca... imagine what you could sell your account for on ebay, or how much people will bid real-life £££ for for Messi !!! A whole new virtual transfer market could open up! ;) (lol - ok only joking on the last part) :D

• 2 weeks later...

I quit FML a couple of months ago, mostly do to cost and time (both lack of :D). But was always thinking to maybe come back later. So was quite sad to see it finally end now. I loved several aspects of it a lot. Mainly creating your own club with logo and identity et al, the player auctions and direct sales, and ofcourse the human vs human aspect.

Except for the human interaction (which won't ofcourse be possible offline), it could be cool if an FML-like version of FM was produced. So with making your own club, the league system, the buying and selling of players, even the manager skills, etc.

P.S. It would be great if SI/SEGA would release the source codes for FML, so people could make their own online comps.

If you have read the FML closing thread you will note that this option has been discussed and turned down by SI.

Ah, sorry didn't know that. i couldn't get into the FML forum anymore and just today started in here. :)

Archived