Player downgraded from 'Legend' to 'Icon' - why?

I'm about to start my 8th season in charge of Forest Green (9th overall but I holidayed first season). I have a newgen striker named Jamal Lacoste, who I signed on a free at the end of my second season after he was released by Arsenal's youth team. In his first season we were promoted to L2, promoted again to L1, made the playoff final in my first L1 season, then promoted to the CCC in my second. We finished 19th in our debut CCC season.

During his five seasons at the club we've been promoted three times, and he's notched at least 30 goals in all five, including being the top scorer in the CCC with 31 league goals. He has scored 153 goals for the club to date, making him comfortably the club's best ever player, which was reflected midway through his fourth season at the club, when he was upgraded to 'Legend' on the club information screen.

Towards the end of my first CCC season, in which his goals prevented relegation, I noticed that he's now only listed as an 'Icon' again and I can't figure out why. He's loyal, has never requested a move, never listed managers who praise him as favoured personnel, and repeatedly does the business on the pitch. He has Forest Green listed as his only favourite club, and most players have him listed as their favoured personnel too.

So what exactly could cause him to be downgraded, given he's clearly a legend of the club? Something hidden? He was listed as a legend for a good 12 months too.

I think the initial move to any status is temporary for a while, but this does seem an odd case. It's usually only seen when a new signing or youngster has a particuarly good start and temporarily goes onto the favoured personnel list.

I'd imagine Lacoste is right on the brink, but for some reason has fell back down. Maybe it's now that you've had a season where you didn't win anything?

Ive had similar experiences, Im pretty sure it something to do with your team not been as successful in the league as in other seasons , as ive found from my experiences. Though that does not make any sense at all, it just what ive found with my icon's/legends. Any chance of an screenshot of the player? Wouldn't mind seeing the player!

Weird. I didn't even think it was possible. I thought when anyone became a legend that it was permanent.

I thought that at first, but it's happened to me too now, both my regen Michael Wilson and Gareth Bale have been Legends for my Chelsea team and are now just Icons again.

I suspect that it may be down to as the club gets bigger & better the expectations for someone to be legendary also increase? As the side are becoming more established in the upper echelons of football if they sustain that for a while the player who got them there through the lower leagues will of course be appreciated but the amount of people to appreciate him will be less than the amount appreciating your newer, higher level stars.

I'm Stokes researcher and there is the tickbox there for 'permanent'. Whether anyone who gets there either has to sustain it for a period of time for it to be checked permanent or if there is other conditions at play (such as reputations) if the club continued to grow though I don't think perhaps their all time goalscorer in the doldrums of lower levels would quite hold the draw as say an England international who captained them for 15 years to 5/6 trophies. Of course in this case he doesn't have that, but it may be the goalposts are moving through a career to determine what it takes to be a legend.

From my experience, Wilson and Bale became legends immediately after we won the Champions League for the first time in 4 years. Then they dropped back to Icon at the start of the next season. It seems it re-evaluates itself at the start of every season, I think they have to stay there for a while before they become permanent legends. That's as far as I can tell anyway.

Ive had similar experiences, Im pretty sure it something to do with your team not been as successful in the league as in other seasons , as ive found from my experiences. Though that does not make any sense at all, it just what ive found with my icon's/legends. Any chance of an screenshot of the player? Wouldn't mind seeing the player!

Career

He's nothing too special, just seems to have a knack of always being in the right spot, and his finishing is a lot more lethal than his rating suggests. He also has 'likes to try to beat offside trap' as a preferred move, so he gets quite a few one on ones with his pace/acceleration. His only other really good rating is for free kicks, and I think he's maybe scored one direct free kick that I can remember.

The other thing I wondered is if they are listed in a preferential order? For example, Forest Green start the game with ten 'Icons', but is the one listed first greater than the one listed tenth, or is it random? I ask because since being downgraded from 'Legend', Lacoste is now 9th on the 'Icons' list, when he's been as high as third.

Just a quick update on this issue.

I've reached the playoff final in my second season in the Championship, which I'm yet to play. Lacoste has had a season for the ages, notching 40 goals and 15 assists alone in the league (and 14 MOtM awards), and 44 goals in all competitions. I accepted an offer in the pre-season of £5m from relegated EPL side Doncaster, but he rejected the contract to stay at FG. He has yet to make any noise about moving to a bigger club despite higher level interest, loves it when I tell the press I'm keeping him, and recently signed a new 3-year deal for only a minimal pay rise.

So epic individual success coupled with loyalty and team success = .... still an 'Icon', but has moved up a couple of spots. What on earth does he have to do to get elevated back to 'Legend' status? It's bizarre.

Just a quick update on this issue.

I've reached the playoff final in my second season in the Championship, which I'm yet to play. Lacoste has had a season for the ages, notching 40 goals and 15 assists alone in the league (and 14 MOtM awards), and 44 goals in all competitions. I accepted an offer in the pre-season of £5m from relegated EPL side Doncaster, but he rejected the contract to stay at FG. He has yet to make any noise about moving to a bigger club despite higher level interest, loves it when I tell the press I'm keeping him, and recently signed a new 3-year deal for only a minimal pay rise.

So epic individual success coupled with loyalty and team success = .... still an 'Icon', but has moved up a couple of spots. What on earth does he have to do to get elevated back to 'Legend' status? It's bizarre.

Takeover from the current manager and lead them to the premiership ;)

Crouchy it's not permanent, it is just more difficult to lose it.

Lets say Player A is a legend for Club A and he decides to sign for Rival Club B, I would imagine he would lose Legend status at Club A and go to Icon, no?

I have no idea about this, but I know it does re-evaluate the list of Favoured Personnel at the end/beginning of every season. I had a long list of current players on the Favoured Personnel list for most of last season, but the second this season came around, almost all of them got removed from that list.

I'll keep an eye out for what happens to Vargas though. He's currently listed as an Icon having won Fans Player of the Year for 2 seasons in a row, to combine with the fact he's just been absolutely phenomenal. I'll check if he goes up to Legend and back down, or whether he gets downgraded to Favoured at any point, perhaps if he starts to perform a little worse.

I'm fairly sure that these things can get artificially "inflated" during mid-season, and then "corrected" during the off-season. I know that a player earning an MoM against a Rival can make it onto the Favoured Personnel list, but will get corrected and removed during the summer break.

Archived