Players struggling to motivate themselves to play for you

I took over a club in the Greek Superleague midway through the season, starting with a semi-pro reputation. The team were relegated at the end of that season, with my assistant commenting that players were struggling to motivate themselves to play for me. The next season in the lower division there were no reports of these issues, however now we have been promoted again I'm getting the same message regarding players who have been with me from the start. My reputation is currently 'national', so I don't really see why I'm getting this? It would have been like Newcastle's players struggling to motivate themselves to play for Chris Hughton this season, though maybe that would explain why he got sacked?! How long will this persist for?

your reputation is too low for your team, the hidden attribute for reputation is too low that is...

you need to win things to increase your reputation so that it matches the division you are in and the club you are at... when it does the players will no longer be "struggling to motivate themselves for you". :)

Indeed, the players are looking down on you and don't respect you. You can try shipping them out.

that's why i always start with a lowly club and create a squad of youngsters loyal to me personally. It's the way to prevent all sorts of personality issues happening later on.

• 2 years later...

thanks for the quick response. i spend a full week tweeking mastering my tikidazza(lawl) tactic used it with my german save AWESOMESAUCE results and then with my ranger save awesomesauce results, chelsea come in for me now im just automatic for rangers job 5 seasons before and my rep isnt anywhere near chelsea. this explains why it dont look like the same tactic i used for two other teams saves what ever lol

I think everything you win will help, but if you got the Chelsea job by headhunting you are certainly not that far behind Mata and Hazard. Regardless of reputation there is a bedding-in period where none of the players really trust you, so if you keep at it you will gradually get there.

It is surely annoying, though. I don't switch clubs like you do so the career realism argument doesn't even count for me.

yeah fair point i never really thought of a "6month period" or so, bedding in time but yeah they saw my sauce at rangers and say hey. only reason i switched is the new games out soon and i kinda had rangers going great and i obviously want to start the new game with them so i saw it as an oppertunity for "break" considering ill be back in league 1 with them in a few month lol. german save is me and my buddys save. I like sticking with a club and making them epic from small. (German club is Nurnberg) permission too just say "ok" so you have final post again you have been helpful thanks again .

Yeah it's strictly a reputation thing. I started my career game as a Sunday league footballer and got a job in the German first league after only 4 years managing lower league clubs and only achieving one promotion from the second to the first league. It took me 3 second places in the league, one cup win, one EL final and 2 manager of the year awards until I finally got rid this of the switching off players this season, my 5th year in charge of the club I'm managing atm.

So yeah depending on your starting reputation it can take a while until you gain the respect of all of your players, especially those who have a very high reputation themselves.

Back on this topic, eh? Back then I wrote:

that's why i always start with a lowly club and create a squad of youngsters loyal to me personally. It's the way to prevent all sorts of personality issues happening later on.

Here's an FM13 update - I did the same thing but this time I flopped spectacularly and once I fell to the foot of the table (Blue Square Premier) I got sacked!

What went wrong? Can't put my finger on it, but in every match the majority of the players were "looking anxious" - and playing like it too - my striker with decent attributes was scared to shoot and the rest rushed their shots, and then there were the fatal hesitations at the back.

I tried the 'relax, enjoy yourselves' speeches but nothing worked. I suspect the key point was that I'd created the whole squad to be 16-17 years old - not one older head. Being so young they were physically very weak and got constantly pushed off the ball.

So basically, having a high managerial reputation is necessary, but isn't the ONLY factor to consider. The players - or at least some of them - need to be tough and mature enough to play competitive football against big boys.

Back on this topic, eh? Back then I wrote:

Here's an FM13 update - I did the same thing but this time I flopped spectacularly and once I fell to the foot of the table (Blue Square Premier) I got sacked!

What went wrong? Can't put my finger on it, but in every match the majority of the players were "looking anxious" - and playing like it too - my striker with decent attributes was scared to shoot and the rest rushed their shots, and then there were the fatal hesitations at the back.

I tried the 'relax, enjoy yourselves' speeches but nothing worked. I suspect the key point was that I'd created the whole squad to be 16-17 years old - not one older head. Being so young they were physically very weak and got constantly pushed off the ball.

So basically, having a high managerial reputation is necessary, but isn't the ONLY factor to consider. The players - or at least some of them - need to be tough and mature enough to play competitive football against big boys.

Normally I would do much the same, but in FM13 you can't trust youngsters to go all the way for you every match so I have had to get quality experience as well. I started in Portsmouth in League One (in 2017) as Automatic I think (can't remember) and I didn't have that many problems after winning promotion on the back of superior free signings the first season. I think I had a cracking second half of the season, once the team and I settled in. The problem arises when your start isn't that good and you don't enter that good form state that can be maintained with relative ease.

Archived