Colin Olivieri has issues...

My ass man's feedback says that Colin Olivieri is having some issues motivating himself to play with Alou Diarra as our captain. Olivieri is an 18 yo regen, Diarra is by now in his mid 30s and only joined the club this season. Everyone else is happy with the choice of captain AFAICT.

I'm assuming there is a personality incompatibility here. Diarra's personality is "leader", and his media style is "level-headed". Olivieri is "ambitious" and "outspoken"; he also has a tendency to be a bit complacent, so needs a bit of tough love to perform.

So you're probably thinking, "big deal, just tutor Olivieri", and I would do that, were there a player in my squad who could tutor him. Unfortunately, Olivieri is too good to be tutored by my older players.

Is there any other way I can deal with this, or do I just have to accept that Olivieri is a talented kid with personal issues regarding figures of authority? It's not affecting performances at all, in fact Olivieri has finally started to perform, so I'm not really concerned. Also, do you have any idea what personality traits are causing this friction? I do wonder if Olivieri lacks a little professionalism, but can't be sure. So far there are no indications that he is temperamental or dirty; he's not lacked discipline on the pitch and doesn't fly off the handle in private chat, but he's only been at the club around 9 months, so it's hard to be sure.

My main concern is you've brought a guy thats in his mid 30s into the club and immediately made him captain.

As to what you do you either leave things as they are or you change captain at the beginning of next season.

My main concern is you've brought a guy thats in his mid 30s into the club and immediately made him captain.

As to what you do you either leave things as they are or you change captain at the beginning of next season.

He's a great captain, much better than the guy I sold last season. You've got to see it in context. We're a regional rep team (Gloucester, start in the Blue Square North) in the CH with a captain with who was once runner up in the world cup. He's done it all, has 15+ in all the key mental attributes for a captain, and performances are much much better this season than last :D

The issue is not my captain! You should see who I had as captain last year :)

Edit: btw, the reason my vice-captain was not promoted to captain (instead was stripped of the vice-captaincy) is:

• there were 3 or 4 players with motivational issues when he was captain
  • He has "argues with officials" as a PPM, which isn't desirable

I think Lucas Neill was made West Ham captain immediately after his transfer from Blackburn, so it does/can happen.

I've only just realised that I signed Olivieri from Girondins de Bordeaux - the club Diarra was also playing for when he got released. So maybe they have some history - such as a botched tutoring session.

Archived