Striker combinations

Hello,

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to my strikers and I frequently look to employ the classic 'big man, little man' technique by using 'target' and 'poacher' for my strike force.

I wondered what else you guys found productive.

I'm currently using an attacking 442, with my wide men as inside forwards, but my 2 best strikers both want to play the 'advanced forward' role... I'm unsure if they can play with eachother as a result!!

Interesting... Any successes with complete forwards? Or advanced/deep lying forwards? How about the three strikers line-up?

Ive never been a fan of 3 forwards, have experimented with 2 + 1 APM, that works quite well in my current game (4-4-2 Diamond)

Never usesed complete, advanced or deep lying as my game has always been about wing play and feeding the target man, with a good poacher to pick off the loose balls

I always use DLF! They are sort of like creative target men. Advanced forwards are sort of like more creative poachers. So a DLF works well by himself, especially if you have your wings set as Inside Forwards. The idea is that he will receive the ball and be able to hold it up and look to pass to one of your wingers cutting inside. So if you want to have two strikers and two wigers that cut inside, i would use either 2 DLF, 1 DLF & 1 advanced forward.

Also, think about playing a 4-1-2-2-1 instead of the 4-4-2 attacking. It is basically the same thing except you take one striker off and put on a defensive midfielder. Then a target man or a DLF would work well up there. You can set your DM as a ball winner and your two CM as box 2 box and that would be exactly the formation I use...and win with.

Also, if you have a guy who wants to and is recommended to play as a complete forward, just let him. He won't let ya down.

Legendary responses. I'm going to try the dlf plus adf before changing formation up as I don't have a quality ball winner in my squad at the moment. Wicked!!

Legendary responses. I'm going to try the dlf plus adf before changing formation up as I don't have a quality ball winner in my squad at the moment. Wicked!!

From my experience, all the ball winner needs is tackling, aggression, and strength. If you have a guy +15 in all of those, he will average about an 8 per game in the formation I mentioned. :)

Edit: a little stamina would be nice unless you have 2 guys who can play the spot.

I've started using two wide Advanced Forwards and a central Deep Lying Forward in my 4-3-3 setup. I won everything with my Real Madrid (Champions, Liga, Cup and Super Cup).

I also manage Scotland, and had them qualify to the Euro. I had a pretty difficult group, playing with Russia (2-0), Holland (0-2) and Italy (2-1). Qualified second, got Germany in the quarter-finals, but could not cope (2-3).

However, things are looking brighter. I started playing the World Cup Qualifiers, with wins against Holland (away 1-0), Andorra (home 5-0) and Norway (away 3-0) :)

Archived