Do you change every game?

Such is modern football that it changes often. I play roughly the same system, but variations of it depending on where i'm playing. Sometime you need different players for different matches, and this changes the tactical set up. Then my tactical instructions change too. Sometimes i implement a very rigid detailed structure of what i want them to do, and sometimes i do the bare minimum and let them play their game, which i honestly think works the best in this game.

Such is modern football that it changes often. I play roughly the same system, but variations of it depending on where i'm playing. Sometime you need different players for different matches, and this changes the tactical set up. Then my tactical instructions change too. Sometimes i implement a very rigid detailed structure of what i want them to do, and sometimes i do the bare minimum and let them play their game, which i honestly think works the best in this game.

Ditto.

I tend to have the same line-up selected, but with three tactical options:

- Advanced

- Basic

- "Yard-dog"

:)

Can change tactics 5 or 6 times even within one game.

I tend to use the same formation every game, switching to a 4-1-4-1 if things aren't going too well. Rarely change my teams either unless theirs an injury. Decided to switch a few players into my squad this morning as we've already won the league so I thought i'd give them a run out. What follows is a dreadful 45 minutes from all but one of them, which will probably be those players last.

I play the same tactic every game. I don't change to counter the way the opposition play, they should be changing to try and stop me. They'll fail, but I'm changing my team for nobody.

same as me never change it what so ever

robertcornell68 wrote:

I keep my formation the same - 4-4-1-1 ish - but tinker with specific player instructions depending on their strengths/weaknesses, the opponents and sometimes pitch size, weather etc. ]

I use 4-4-1-1 too. Do you play attacking midfield behind striker as Trequerista? Ive always been tempted to change my tactic so I can play 2 strikers, but ive never found one that works, and I have attacking midfielders who wouldnt fit the formation.

Id be interesting in knowing if you leak goals, as I do tend to leak goals, but usully score more than my opponent, so still win. But id love not to concede as many goals, lol.

robertcornell68 wrote:

I use 4-4-1-1 too. Do you play attacking midfield behind striker as Trequerista? Ive always been tempted to change my tactic so I can play 2 strikers, but ive never found one that works, and I have attacking midfielders who wouldnt fit the formation.

Id be interesting in knowing if you leak goals, as I do tend to leak goals, but usully score more than my opponent, so still win. But id love not to concede as many goals, lol.

That's what I mean by tinkering, it depends on the player. I use a Trequi or AMC & two inside forwards and a poacher. Both MCs are defensive. Leaking goals isn't a problem, I won the Dutch cup without conceding a goal and conceded twelve goals in 34 league games, the next best was 26.

In looking to play a 4-5-1 which really shows as a 4-1-2-2-1

GK - Default

RB - Wing Back - Auto

CB - Defender - Defend

CB - Defender - Defend

LB - WIng BAck - Auto

CDM - Defensive Midfiled - Defend

CM - Advanced Playmaker - Support

CM - Advanced Playmaker - Support

LAM - Inside Forward - Attack

RAM - Inside Forward - Attack

ST - Complete Forward / Poacher

This is what I am going to try with my Rangers team. I just can't be bothered changing it all the time depending on what team I am playing.

Whats your thoughts on setting players as a Complete Forward, Poacher etc. Do you set it to suit the player so he plays in his best position or should it be set in a way that benefits the formation overall.

I have a spread sheet that I use to calculate each players optimal setup weather he is best played as a poacher etc but not sure if it would imbalance the team setting everyone to their best setup.

If you are a top team, you probably don't need to change much. Most teams will come out set up to contain you and hit you on the break. If you have a tactic that works well and the right players, you'll only need to worry about big games. If you're Rangers, it's probably the games against Celtic that require some more thought, and in Europe you will probably need a different approach too, provided you aren't 10 seasons in and the biggest team in Europe.

I pick my formation based on:

• the opposition's preferred formation
  • the opposition's approach (e.g. possession football, counter attack etc.)
  • the opposition's players, in particular whether they are vulnerable to crosses or pacy strikers, and whether they look dangerous down the flanks or not
  • the pre-match odds (which really just tell you how attacking the opposition will start out)
  • who's fit

I will definitely also tweak player instructions depending on who is playing. The tweaks don't need to be drastic though, they might be as simple as getting the wingers to cross more often when playing with a good target man up front. Small changes like these can definitely make a difference. It's definitely a bad idea to ask players to do things they are bad at.

Archived