We are winning most of the headers today but not getting at the end of crosses

Hello!

Sometimes my ass man gives me that analysis.

When you see it; what do you do to make players get at the end of crosses?

Drill crosses or float crosses or let it remain normal?

You might want a bigger striker.

It may show my tactical naivety, but I'm not totally sure on the advantages of drilling or floating. I'm currently of the impression that a drilled cross is more likely to find feet, whereas a floated cross is more likely to find heads.

But you could float a cross into the near post? Or drill it to the far post?

Crosses will generally end up where they will! Depends on the situation and the strengths of the crossee. Also on what you've specified your attacker to do in the "crossing" settings obviously.

I just don't bother with crosses. Exploit the middle.

PS. Drilled cross = near post. Folated cross = far post.

I was just playing with drill crosses; and I scored a goal at the far post :p:P:P

and I don't really bother with shouts and advanced options. i always think they are for the feel-good factor that you are twiddling some things :p:P:P

I was just playing with drill crosses; and I scored a goal at the far post :p:P:P

and I don't really bother with shouts and advanced options. i always think they are for the feel-good factor that you are twiddling some things :p:P:P

Like I say, crosses will end up where they will! :) If nobody gets on the end of a near-post cross then obviously the ball continues on it's path.

Just realised I spelt "floated" wrong earlier....

Is there nothing to my idea that a drilled cross will be hammered across a few inches above the ground then?

Well yeah! That's the idea. The guy at the near post will have the first opportunity to get on the end of it. But maybe there isn't even anyone at the near post.

I have a big striker but he never tries to win headers in front of goal when someone crosses into the box. I have very rarely seen any big striker other than Llorente actually head a crosser into the goal (against). Mostly, when I score on crosses, it is my dwarven wingers doing diving headers or eventually tackling the ball into the goal at the rear post. Setting my big striker to Target Man (without changing his settings) and crosses to target man doesn't make any difference.

Very few crosses from the byline actually ends up in front of goal as well, because the wingers or full backs hesitate before crossing - juuuust enough to let their defender block...

Edit: Bébé, with 15 in jumping and 18 in strength, tends to be a good aerial threat in the box, but again - he is a winger.

I play a lone striker who is typically good in the air, but I seem to get this advice quite often. I set the target man instructions to 'play to feet' as I like a CF with strength to hold the ball up and fend off the two opposing CBs, aiming to head has never yielded good results. Also I don't think my wingers are particularly good at crossing anyway and tend to cut inside and dribble.

Archived