Who Is Your Oldest Player?

And how is he doing? Most managers on here are chuffed to bits with their amazing wonderkids, but not many people seem too pleased with their oldies.

So who is the grandad of your side, and is he still holding strong? Screenshots welcomed, and goalies will be treated with less respect than outfielders :D

PatrickZwaanswijkProfile_Attributes-3.png

Patrick Zwaanswijk is doing the business for me still. I was going to make last year his last season, but he scored 8 goals and got an average rating of 7.25, so I reckon he's deserving of another year. I seem to have halted the slide of his pace as well, so it's still fairly respectable. He's wise enough to be able to make the most of what he's got anyway.

I'm hoping I can get him to his 40th birthday before he retires.

Are you winding me up, or is your squad really that ridiculously young? :D

Average age of 19 and outside of him my oldest player [and captain by the way] is 22. This chappy:

hern.jpg

It's actually almost 4 years, not quite 4. In either case.

The problem exists for me that I'm trying to keep the wages low. As such I can only go after players who are on less than about £1k per week, otherwise they'll want an arm and a leg. As such I've spent most of my time going after African youngsters. In fact I did sign a young French striker (17 and already one of my best) and he's on the clubs top wage: £5,500! Though the wages are rising quickly. My wage budget is sitting on about £45k per week and rising exponentially. Long story short, youngsters don't want so much money, so I've got a heap!

My oldest ever though, he was around 43. Igor Akinfeev, the beast himself. He played over 1000 matches in a row for me! Now that's commitment to the club!

Also, on the topic of the young Africans I've brought in. One in this years group is 6'8"! He looks like a monster on the pitch!

My oldest ever though, he was around 43. Igor Akinfeev, the beast himself.

Biggest mistake of FM10. Sold Akinfeev when he was 33 because I thought the was about to go out, he won everything with Barca and was GK of the Year for the next 4 seasons.

Essien, age 37... I keep him around for tutoring purposes and he still gets some matches as BWMF, but his decline in the last year has become very noticeable so I rather give a chance to younger guys.

I used to sell anyone pushing 30, but the tutoring thing made me reconsider that policy... However I wish aging players would admit when they're getting too old to perform at the same level they used to and accept SUBSTANTIAL WAGE CUTS...

Keeping plenty of Over-35 players you can barely field against cup minnows around is ok as long as they don't expect to earn the same money they got when they were in their prime.

Instead I'm still getting laughable demands, like 2 to 4 millions p/y... Dude, you're 34, get real...

I don't have any old players at the moment but a few seasons ago I had a Guatemalan goalkeeper by the name of Norman Martín playing for me. His last game at the club he was 41 years 111 days old.

This season the oldest is Rhys Weston at 34 years 131 days, one of my only players over 26! Squad average age of 23.

However I wish aging players would admit when they're getting too old to perform at the same level they used to and accept SUBSTANTIAL WAGE CUTS...

Think it depends on the player. I've had 32 or 33 year olds willing to almost halve their wage demands. By the end of Hargreaves career, I had him on £1k/week as player coach.

My oldest was a 37 year old Nikos Dabizas whom I inherited in February 2012 when I took over Larisa in the Greek Superleague. He was club captain and his stats were still good enough to make him first choice at CB, but he was absolute pants before I took over and then continued in that vein throughout the rest of the season. By the time I switched him out for his 18 year old replacement it was too late and I was unable to save the team from relegation...

Second season in with Granada CF, now in Liga BBVA, my oldest players are:

David Albelda (34)

Mark van Bommel (34)

Nicola Legrottaglie (35)

Juanito (35)

Sergio (35)

Pedro Munitis (36)

In stark contrast, apart from only two players that could be considered at their "peak" ages professionally, the rest of my squad is aged between 16 and 22.

The older players were mainly bought for backup and tutoring, whilst I try to build the core of a side that can stay together for a number of years. I've just had the board approve further improvements to my youth facilities. They're currently "good" with a youth academy. I already have "Top" training facilities.

They say "you win nothing with kids", which Man Utd famously proved wrong. Although now out of the Spanish Cup, we lie only two points behind Real Madrid at the top of the league and are still in the EURO Cup.

When called upon, the older players have done reasonably well. The one that's had the most game time is Mark van Bommel and I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed with him. Seems to blow hot and cold and his average rating is below seven. Could simply be that I'm using him as a defensive orientated ball winning midfielder though.

Not made much progress in the game but my oldest right now is Javier Zanetti/Marco Materazzi. Materazzi is out of it now but Zanetti is still getting a lot of games at the left back position (Chivu is always injured -_-) If you haven't guessed... i'm managing Inter. ;)

my old players all retired at once at the end of last season, i had a 37 year old Zander Diamond, a 40 year old Craig Gordon and a 36 year old Rooney, now my oldest is 29 and its showing, my team lacks ability to see out big games at the moment and its frustrating. My defence has also struggled without Gordon and Diamond there, have also had a 37 year old Kevin Phillips and a 36 year old Lampard before they retired for a season each. I like having older players in FM11.

Playing with rangers my oldest player is Rolando Zarate, he hit 22 goals last season aged 34, 35 now and i havent given him that many starts due to regens, i think i will make him a coach shortly as he isnt getting much gametime now.

Alou Diarra at 36 is my new captain, but my all time oldest player was 48 or 49 (can't remember) and my oldest goalscorer was 40. Diarra is doing a good job so far in the Championship, and was devastated at not making the France team in the summer. I think he's still got 2 seasons in him at least.

Despite having nothing against a few "oldies", the match reports always refer to my team as youthful - in my team, you're either 33+ or U22 :D

My oldest is Reina, still at Liverpool at 38. I'm trying to make him Liverpool's oldest goalscorer, but he is totally unable to score penalties for some reason. Is it just me or has anyone else tried to set goalies to take penalties with the same result......surely any decent professional in any position could score at least one in two or three attempts, especially in non-pressure situations.

My oldest is Reina, still at Liverpool at 38. I'm trying to make him Liverpool's oldest goalscorer, but he is totally unable to score penalties for some reason. Is it just me or has anyone else tried to set goalies to take penalties with the same result......surely any decent professional in any position could score at least one in two or three attempts, especially in non-pressure situations.

Even Bosnich put one away, and he was a questionable keeper. From 8:45 (obvious dive by the way)

Michel Bastos at 31, normally I'd get rid of players at that age but he's been so so good (and was willing to take a pay cut). Think the oldest after him is Hugo Lloris at 27, and I plan on keeping him until he retires.

Former Arsenal and Valencia midfielder Edu is my oldest in my first season with Sheffield Wednesday at 33. Started off the season as my first choice midfielder but James O'Connor's form has managed to displace him. Generally bring him on to shore up midfield if I'm defending a lead. Gets games every so often though.

I inherited Steven Gerrard when I took over Liverpool; he's 36, overpaid, and been in the reserves for two seasons. I let him out once in the Carling Cup and he did pretty well, but his pace is shot.

I also inherited Fernando Torres (started the save before 11.3), and even though he's only like 33 he's pretty much done; he started the season alright, but then he got injured and had to be replaced every game for five games straight, and it stopped being worth it.

Here's the oldest at my club, though he's now actually Reserve team player/manager:

screenshot20110517at181.png

In my first team I've got a 33 year old Fernando Torres who still does the business as a super sub, and a 29 year old Sergio Aguero. After that 25 year old Phil Jones is the oldest.

My oldest player was 22 few years back, now he's 27.. i always make my team only from 17-21 year olds..

I'm similar but more extreme. I started with a L9 squad aged 13-18. Now my oldest player (club captain) is 21. New players are aged a maximum of 20. They're a tight-knit bunch of, all loyal to the club and me, and we hope to progress together.

This thread is confirming my suspicions that the average FM-er has an irrational lack of faith in the oldies, or even players in their peak. Kinda makes all the "OMG, My team has no confidence and choked" threads seem less surprising.

In my current game i've got 36 and 35 year-old sub goalkeepers, but nothing special. My favourite old player ever was Craig Fraser, a midfield general from FM09 who was an absolute beast, won the World player of the year award 5 times, played 624 games for my Merthyr side and kept playing Premiership football until he retired at 40. Absolute legend. He even scored in the last minute of his last ever game!

craigfraser2038.jpg

In his prime

This thread is confirming my suspicions that the average FM-er has an irrational lack of faith in the oldies, or even players in their peak. Kinda makes all the "OMG, My team has no confidence and choked" threads seem less surprising.

I don't understand your logic... Experienced players bring a calmness to the team that younger players just can't bring. A 30 something midfielder with limited technical ability can be more valuable to the team than a 20 yo WK who is touted as the next Zidane simply because of what they bring to the team.

A team without experienced players is more likely to lose confidence and choke, not one that has experienced players in it. My current squad has 2 players @ 32, 3 @ 31 and a 30yo with all but one of the 32yo's regularly starting games (when fit). (The other 32yo is used sparingly as his legs have gone ;) ). We are punching above our weight in our current league and it is down, mainly, to the experience within the squad.

In FM09 I had a 33/34yo centre-back who was slower/worse than the 4 World-Class centre-backs I had in my squad yet I would always have him on the bench and would bring him on if we were under pressure... the difference was VISIBLE in the 3D view, the defence just seemed more solid just for bringing on the older guy. Similarly, I have just released a 34yo central-midfielder who, if his stats/reports are to be believed, was only good enough for the BSS - he started more games in League 1 than he missed and we missed his presence when he didn't...

IMHO experience is vital if you want to have a successful team...

Former Arsenal and Valencia midfielder Edu is my oldest in my first season with Sheffield Wednesday at 33. Started off the season as my first choice midfielder but James O'Connor's form has managed to displace him. Generally bring him on to shore up midfield if I'm defending a lead. Gets games every so often though.

If JOC is keeping him out of the team that says a lot for his current level of ability! Next stop BSQ Prem or below!

Actually he was alright on my Weds game, shame he's gash IRL!

its so true, this year without the older players my team has struggled, my defence looks no where near as solid, even tho Diamonds replacement is far better attribute wise and my new goal keep is prob going to be better than Gordon was, but they are both young and dont seem to see out games very well. Im now in the hunt for someone over 34 who can do a job for my team.

cristianoronaldoprofile.th.png

Brought a 37 y/o C Ronaldo back to Portugal on a Bosman from Real. He rarely gets a game but plays really well as a 'Deep Lying Playmaker' when he does.

The fans love him too, which is surprising given his Sporting CP roots...

Casillas played with me at Madrid until I released him 39 and he's still going and still a top 'keeper. I only let him go because my young prospect was getting annoyed at lack of first team football and I have decent back up on cheaper wages...

My oldest player was Andrew Hunter who was 52 by the time he retired but I don't have a picture when he was that old although I do have a picture of when he last scored

That has to be a record. I currently have a 34 yer old Scott Parker :)

Archived