Laptop shutting down on 3D match.

Got my new laptop delivered today but when i click to play a match Football Manager then shuts down as windows says the game is not responding.

The game works perfectly doing everything else but it just won't let me play matches. The laptop is a Dell xps by the way. Is the problem overheating or do i simply need to fix some settings? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't sound like an overheat as this will usually cause the machine to restart/shut down completely. I would say it's graphics (drivers) related. Check that you have the latest drivers for your card from either nvidia or ati (amd).

It's unlikely to be overheating as Rob says - you're only likely to overheat during the matches because of the 3D.

Are you sure that your laptop can handle the 3D? Some laptop graphics cards are a bit duff, you could try messing around with the "Display & Sound" settings in FM's preferences. Try disabling the 3D to see if that's the problem, and take a look at the System 3D Rating.

If your card is on spec, then definitely update your drivers.

I purchased a cooling fan anyway and it has not stopped the problem so it is not overheating causing it.

This is the error message i got: Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kennel Mode Driver Version 266.39 stopped responding and successfully recovered.

I then tampered with the settings and disabled 3D and i was able to play a match. My 3d rating is 4 and half stars so that should be more than enough to work surely.

I got this message too: Football Manager 2011 11.3.0f178533 has stopped working. Any help would be great?

If you haven't done so already first install the latest patch (11.3) for FM. Secondly even though you have a new computer it doesn't mean that it will have the latest graphics card drivers so check with nvidia to see if they have an update for your card.

I have now downloaded the latest driver, downloaded microsoft direct SDK June 2010, updated java and have the latest patch.

STILL my laptop just will not play matches as after i have done my teamtalk the screen goes white and then crashes with me getting an error message. Its starting to **** me off tbh.

Does anyone have any idea whats wrong with it? The game plays 2D fine but 3D is a nightmare. The laptop is designed for gaming so FM should work no problem.

Did you download your graphics card driver from nvidia or from dell? I would recommend getting a driver from nvidia.

You could try and do a clean install of the graphics card driver:

~ Uninstall old driver

~ Restart in safe mode

~ Clear out old files with CCleaner

~ Restart

~ Install new driver

~ Restart

Can you try playing a different game altogether? Does it do the same thing?

Cheers. I had a look in the technical issues and crashes forum. It seems like this is a well known problem that SI have no idea how to solve as many people are saying their game is crashing but SI keep releasing the same default answers.

Just have to switch game to 2D or wait until FM 12 where it should be fixed.

Archived