Wing backs and defending freekicks, what's wrong with them?

lateral free kick, 6 of my players all lined up on the frontal line of the area, 2 on the wall, one up on the middle field ready for counter. all right. uppps, i am missing one... where would he be? i can not even see him on the elevated camera.

they kick the ball and the striker heads the ball and scores. dont worry, it was on clear offside. OMG, the reff is conceding the goal.

on the review i can see why. the one player i was missing, one of the wing backs, was almost out of the area, right behind all of the oppositte players, who were not by this clever player of mine, would all have been offside.

this has happened to me three times on just 2 games. my defending freekick orders are, 1 of my AMR/L to remain forward, my two DCs and the DM, man mark, the rest, default.

the players with which this has happenes where Arbeloa, Cassani and Ramos. I think that these players are experienced enough to know that if all of their mates are lined up on the front of the area it is for a good reason. BTW, i have ticked the boxed to play the offside trap.

Has anybody suffered the same problem? is the only way to prevent it to manually assign roles to all my players?

yes, its the same. but the settings i have is, like i said, 1 player on always forward, 4 players on man mark, and the rest on default, and it is always a wingback/fullback (anyway, a DL or DR) the one that is left behind spoiling the offside mark that the rest of the team is preserving. for corners, i have also 1 forward, 2 on the posts, 1 on the outside of the area and the rest are on marking role. i have to believe this is a bug, but at this time, on may 2011, i do not think it will get ever solved.

use Go Back or Stay Back instead of Default then. What does "default" do anyway...

default means they default to their default position... I think?

in which case, having a full/wing back set to 'default' will have him standing in his 'default' position which just happens to play everybody onside. Set the full-backs to man-mark, back, wall, or something... that'll solve your 'offside' issue :thup:

well, i thought default was some kind of "automatic" setting. in fact, that is what it does for the rest of the players. my DMs, MCs, AMs, etc, all are on default, but are given a different role depending on how dangerous the freekick is. if the ball is very sided, then only 2 players are placed on the wall, and all the rest get on a very fine line on the front of the are, clearly defining the offside space. they do not get placed on their default tactical places as DMs or AMs. they are understanding the gameplay and know what to do when defending a freekick.

what i do not want is to set manually 4 players on the wall, and 5 on man marking, and 1 forward, cause if the freekick is very sided, then i would be wasting 2 players on the wall that would rather be helping with heading the ball out of the goal.

that is what i thought "default" did. to assign a proper role to the player depending on the circunstances.

Archived