Out of position

How much does playing a player out of position effect his play? For example I have a back that can play Left, Center, and Right. I also have a back that can only play left but is a bit better than the first. Is it best to put the defender that can play all three spots on my bench or the player that can only play one side but is better?

I tend to pick the players that plays best but that could be just me. Had a striker with an angry red dot playing right wing for a couple of months and he did it as well as any.

If he fits the role, is a good player with good mental stats and is easy to motivate, playing outside his Competent+ positions (including red positions) isn't really a problem. I played with a right-back in the right winger position a couple of matches today because of injury problems and he did a good job.

Lots of things factor into it. The right stats are the most important imo, I'll often play a left back at right back with no position rating there over a slow CB with good positional rating there simply because his got great stats for the role despite normally playing on the other flank.

Its usually a case of common sense. If a player if only slightly better then someone with knowledge of it, go with the guy who knows the role. If the guy with knowledge is lacking in the ability though, I generally would go with better guy, because all knowledge means then it that the guy knows he will be getting beat all day long :D

There are hidden ratings. A natural position is 20/20. Accomplished is about 18/20. That means his attributes will be scaled down 5%. Then it goes down to 15, 12, 10 (I think). So red dot out of position might mean his attributes are at 50% effectiveness.

There are hidden ratings. A natural position is 20/20. Accomplished is about 18/20. That means his attributes will be scaled down 5%. Then it goes down to 15, 12, 10 (I think). So red dot out of position might mean his attributes are at 50% effectiveness.

Though it doesn't affect all attributes. I'm sure it only affects attributes like off the ball, positioning, decisions, possibly anticipation and composure, because those are usually the difficulties associated with playing in an unfamiliar position.

I think it depends on the players adaptability as mentioned above. I played one of my D/M L in the AMC position once and he rated 8.5 with 2 assists and I played the other D/M L up front as an emergency sub once and he scored twice and rated 9!

I played a player out of position once and my ass man suggested I train him there as I was playing him there often? Decided to train him anyway and he became quite good in that area.

Was Alberto Bueno btw. had him trained as an AMC/Striker

This seems strange. A player with all-20s will act as a player with all-10 (Blue square premier quality) when played out of position? I think that's a bit over the top.

I think it depends on the players adaptability as mentioned above. I played one of my D/M L in the AMC position once and he rated 8.5 with 2 assists and I played the other D/M L up front as an emergency sub once and he scored twice and rated 9!

That would be Versatility because Adaptability is to do with how well the player adjusts to living in another country.

simple answer to the OP is "whoever you want" :p

Personally I like a centre-back and a full-back on the bench but I also like to have cover for every position so if I didn't have a player who could player right-back either on the bench or on the pitch other than the right-back. for example, I'd put the guy who can play all three defensive positions on the bench (then I'd have cover for all defensive positions)...

I just had to play my DMF/CM/AMF Brazilian center mid Elias as right-back as all my otehr options there were either injured or suspended. I picked him because although he has no DR position AT ALL (Not even awkward or ineffectual), he had the best attributes for it.

This is the first time I played a player COMPLETELY out of position but I had to and you know what, he put in quite a good shift. Quite impressive and I watch full 90 as well. Not sure my actual RB's would've done any better.

Archived