Sacked for NO REASON

I just spent the last 3 months developing and growing Derby County into a top tier premier league team... I love the game and have played it a lot. It has been 7 seasons, and I have them toward the top of the Premier League, including qualifying for Champions League. The board loves me, our finances are strong, I have developed good youth and made smart purchases and sold players to keep my wage bill down. I finally qualified for Champions League and was offered a new contract for 44K per week which I accepted. After qualifying for the group stages, i was suddenly SACKED for absolutely no reason at all, except that they want a "fresh approach."

Can someone explain this to me? I reloaded the game and the most recent save I had was an entire year earlier... considering how much time I had spent on the club I decided to replay it. So I did, and barely missed CL. I then set my league expectations lower, sold different players, got a new contract, qualified for Euro league group stages, won my first 5 games (top of the table) and got sacked again on the same day.

SO... I was going to be sacked on that day (sept 15-16) no matter WHAT i did or how successful I was, all without any warning or indication that i was failing in any way. in fact, i was a huge success and was constantly the "name on everyones lips" (frikin bs). so i ask... WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS GAME? why even try to build something if i could just be sacked for no reason at all with no warning?

Has this happened to other people? is this simply a glitch in the game? how can the developers allow this kind of glitch? I am extremely irritated and am never going to waste my time on this piece of garbage again.

Someone was actually suggesting how great this feature would be the other day, and this is exactly why I feel it isn't a great feature. It's not very fun, is it?

I'd just either add a new manager at the same team, or edit yourself back in as manager using the real time editor (assuming you can do that).

Vicente Del Bosque, Fabio Capello. What do they have in common? Both sacked after winning leagues.

Ultimately you are going to rage either way so all I will suggest is your club got bought over and the new owners wanted their own boss in charge.

I think this argument only really holds up if the OP wasn't playing particularily attractive, attacking football. Capello's teams have always been about function above all else.

I think this argument only really holds up if the OP wasn't playing particularily attractive, attacking football. Capello's teams have always been about function above all else.

If I understand what you are saying correctly then I would point to the fact that Del Bosque played nice football at Madrid and more importantly when he guided Spain to their first ever World Cup win last year.

Pointing it this is his first post so welcome to the forums, seems like a harsh one but it's not a glitch. Look at some of the EPL managers in recent times, Zola, The Special One and Mark Hughes from Man City. Sometimes clubs just see their future elsewhere, don't take being sacked so bitterly and sue Derby.

Well, to make this game more realistic in the future SI should apply sudden death of manager as a result of heart-attack or suicidal tendencies. Game over! Or total financial crisis in the country youre playing in

leading to bancruptsy and players getting killed in plane-crashes on the way to champions league final.

This is a game. Games are made to be fun. Using examples from mad club owners in England and sackings cant be done on purpose by SI. Or is it... Really?????

This sort of thing shouldn't happen, or at least...

If people are playing more as the team than a Journeyman Manager, then there should be an option to not be sackable as someone once suggested. This sort of sacking is just ridiculous!

This sort of thing shouldn't happen, or at least...

If people are playing more as the team than a Journeyman Manager, then there should be an option to not be sackable as someone once suggested. This sort of sacking is just ridiculous!

SI had already said they're not going to include the unsackable option. Get even and manage Forest. :D

SI had already said they're not going to include the unsackable option. Get even and manage Forest. :D

Well if this sort of thing is going to happen that's unacceptable behaviour from SI. Terrible stuff!

Also, if you're going on your vengeance mission don't do it the way I managed Forest. I survived a 51-0 drubbing by Swansea though in charge of them to then record a 49-0 loss to MK Dons!

Vicente Del Bosque, Fabio Capello. What do they have in common? Both sacked after winning leagues.

Ultimately you are going to rage either way so all I will suggest is your club got bought over and the new owners wanted their own boss in charge.

thanks for the responses everyone... for the record i was not a sacked because of a new owner... a few years earlier a new owner came in and he considered sacking me but they decided to stick with me. If i had been sacked at that point it would make sense I would not have felt cheated, I would have been upset but not like this.

Someone was actually suggesting how great this feature would be the other day, and this is exactly why I feel it isn't a great feature. It's not very fun, is it?

I'd just either add a new manager at the same team, or edit yourself back in as manager using the real time editor (assuming you can do that).

sjm would you mind explaining to me how this can be done? would love to still somehow retrieve it.

Pointing it this is his first post so welcome to the forums, seems like a harsh one but it's not a glitch. Look at some of the EPL managers in recent times, Zola, The Special One and Mark Hughes from Man City. Sometimes clubs just see their future elsewhere, don't take being sacked so bitterly and sue Derby.

thanks for the welcome... however I dont believe i am being harsh... (although i have cooled off a little from earlier). I think you have proved my point. I don't need to explain to you the difference between what happened to Zola, TSO, or Mark Hughes and what has happened to me. My complaint is that my sacking makes absolutely no sense and is just laughable. If the game wants to be a real simulator it needs to rectify this problem. I had LITERALLY no warning that it was coming.

manage Forest???? now I'm really depressed ;)

I am not even asking for an unsackable option... i'm asking that they fix this glitch. I can't play the game when I am looking over my shoulder every time i hit "forward" wondering if im going to be sacked the day before the first champions league game in the franchise's history!!! garbage!!!!

You played a whole game year without saving?! Wow! My game years take a week or two for me to complete. Also, in future enable Auto Save for once a month. Not that it sounds like it would have made much difference.

Who is the Derby chairman? His Patience attribute must be pretty low. Sounds like you did really well so take pride from what you achieved at Pride Park and apply for another job and do well with them - beat Derby to the league title! Show the chairman what he's missing out on!

I kind of wish you had the option to move the club onto your "disliked" club list for moments like that... or the chairman at least so you can say to the media "I'd love to return to Derby but I won't while xxx is in charge" and then if the AI manager fluffs your legacy up have the fans demand you back and the chairman out etc... Would be a lovely touch if it's not already in there.

I'm not buying this whole "look at these real life examples" approach.

This guy had qualified for the CL and was doing well in the group stages.

Can anyone imagine Redknapp being sacked mid group this season?

The OP continually grew the club for 7 years, wasn't it 8 years before Fergie won anything?

Fair enough trying to provide excuses but if this happened to me I would be severely annoyed.

I kind of wish you had the option to move the club onto your "disliked" club list for moments like that... or the chairman at least so you can say to the media "I'd love to return to Derby but I won't while xxx is in charge" and then if the AI manager fluffs your legacy up have the fans demand you back and the chairman out etc... Would be a lovely touch if it's not already in there.

That's exactly what you'd need if something like this was to be anything other than a bug. My only worry is that they'd then make this far more common if they felt that they spent so much time on making such a thing possible. Still, if this ever happened to me I'd be furious as I only play a save as one club, I don't move around. It would basically be: "GAME OVER... for no reason whatsoever!" hence the suggestion of the "unsackable" option, so my game and other's isn't ruined for realism for the Journeyman career players.

This is becoming a big feature in these forums of late; SI psychophants with arguments bordering on the ridiculous. I mean seriously, I'm all for debate but some things really shouldn't be up for debate if people are being rational.

I've never heard of this happening before and I would suggest it's a problem for the bugs forum.

Have just had this happen to me twice, on my journeyman save game, within 12 months game time.

My problem appears to be that when i sign a new contract it will not allow me to choose a contract end date, if you click on the dropdown menu it just gives you an option of none selected.

Have been playing my save game for 7 seasons and on my last contract offer screen it showed my contract as starting in 1900, ( i know i am getting on a bit, BUT am not quite that old!)

After checking my profile screen the contract shows a start date but not an end date and this appears to be the problem because i get sacked a few days after this contract offer problem.

This has been posted in the bugs forum and someone suggested using FMRTE to correct this problem.

Is that cheating or a helpful way to overcome this problem?

Steve

i hate the people on here who say well it happens in real life, well this game is not real life and is created for stupid things to occur because there are so many bugs that they couldn't test before handing the game out, so why not give the long standing members a beta test of the game instead of doing it in house and then relasing the game wilth hundreds of bugs year after year.

If this is with the latest patch then it's just messed up and now has got me worried!! It's a bug. Cant' be anything else. This isn't even a case of a takeover with the new board wanting their 'own' man.

so why not give the long standing members a beta test of the game instead of doing it in house and then relasing the game wilth hundreds of bugs year after year.

Because the public are more concerned with releasing pirate versions of the game rather than test it. Its been tried and failed miserably.

One object lesson from this is to make regular saves, at least then any solution can be applied to the last save and you pretty well pick up where you left off.

I'd guess that a real time editor would allow you to change your contract end date which is a very simple solution if that's in fact the cause of the issue.

It does sound like a bug to me.

Whoever programmed this in is a ******. Whoever refuses to have it fixed is a ****** king. Getting instantaneously sacked without any prior indication at an arbitrary date after delivering enormous success is beyond idiotic. IRL the fans would stage a riot.

sjm would you mind explaining to me how this can be done? would love to still somehow retrieve it.

Well you have two options. The first is the easier, but maybe less satisfying:

Add a new manager to the game, prefereably with suitable reputation similar to what you already have, and select Derby as your team. You probably will want to retire your old manager in this case.

The other solution:

Download FMRTE (just do a google search), and see whether you can't edit yourself in as the manager of Derby. I have no idea whether or how you can do this specifically. To get FMRTE to work, you first load your game in FM, then start FMRTE, click on load game in FMRTE. You can then theoretically edit the game world. If you switch to Derby, you can probably change the manager there, but I can't guarantee it.

Whatever you do, back up your game before you use FMRTE. And for your future sanity, you might want to enable rolling autosave in the game options, which allows you to tell the game to make a backup of your save every month or whatever.

The other solution:

Download FMRTE (just do a google search), and see whether you can't edit yourself in as the manager of Derby. I have no idea whether or how you can do this specifically. To get FMRTE to work, you first load your game in FM, then start FMRTE, click on load game in FMRTE. You can then theoretically edit the game world. If you switch to Derby, you can probably change the manager there, but I can't guarantee it.

Whatever you do, back up your game before you use FMRTE. And for your future sanity, you might want to enable rolling autosave in the game options, which allows you to tell the game to make a backup of your save every month or whatever.

If this guy is correct

Have been playing my save game for 7 seasons and on my last contract offer screen it showed my contract as starting in 1900, ( i know i am getting on a bit, BUT am not quite that old!)

Maybe its as simple as reloading a previous save and editing the start year of his contract. It might just be a bug that the AI owner/board thinks his contract started in 1900, in which case it would explain the 'wants a fresh approach' comment.

Well you have two options. The first is the easier, but maybe less satisfying:

Add a new manager to the game, prefereably with suitable reputation similar to what you already have, and select Derby as your team. You probably will want to retire your old manager in this case.

The other solution:

Thank You for the help! You guys are all very very kind. I will try this today when I get off work and hopefully retrieve something. Fortunately... knowing I was going to be sacked in exactly a week, i did save my game. After getting sacked again I just quit without saving. Would it be possible to edit OUT my chairman? :)

I might be wrong but i dont think you could fix this as such with FMRTE, i think what you would have to do is create a new manager then use FMRTE to edit the history to make the new manager look like the old one in terms of achievements. The contract thing sounds like its the problem if the game see's you've had a contract for that long it may activate that responce, i would go back and change your contract starting date first and see if that helps at all, that is very easy to do with FMRTE, just load up your profile in game, load FMRTE, load your save game and press the show current screen button, then go to your contracts tab and change the date. As others have said, always, always, always, back up your game first and always have a rolling save option, i have mines set on weekly, monthly is prob enough if you dont mind going back that far.

Have just had this happen to me twice, on my journeyman save game, within 12 months game time.

My problem appears to be that when i sign a new contract it will not allow me to choose a contract end date, if you click on the dropdown menu it just gives you an option of none selected.

After checking my profile screen the contract shows a start date but not an end date and this appears to be the problem because i get sacked a few days after this contract offer problem.

This has been posted in the bugs forum and someone suggested using FMRTE to correct this problem.

Is that cheating or a helpful way to overcome this problem?

Steve

this is exactly what happened to me. bug clearly. suppose its for another thread.

Thank You for the help! You guys are all very very kind. I will try this today when I get off work and hopefully retrieve something. Fortunately... knowing I was going to be sacked in exactly a week, i did save my game. After getting sacked again I just quit without saving. Would it be possible to edit OUT my chairman? :)

you can change his status and hope it pushes through a takeover, but its a bit tricky to get working. Avoid trying that unless you read up about it more.

At the very least, you ought to be able to change the chairman's attributes, which might make him less likely to sack you on a whim.

Thank you for the advice. You guys are life savers. I was just getting to such an exciting point in the game after years of relative turmoil... I think Derby is finally good enough to compete with the best teams, so I would love to give it a shot. Will try this right when I get home.

Id try the whole change your contract start date thing first before resorting to changing the chairmans status and such like. Sounds to me like when you got offered that new contract by the new owners years back something went amiss.

Suffice to say regardless what some people said, this is not normal in FM and shouldn't have happened :)

well now i am really excited to get off work and go home and try this. You don't appreciate what you have until its gone ;)

If you need a hand with FMRTE give me a PM and i can walk you through the process, or if you wanted too, upload your game and i could change what you wanted for you.

Maybe try saving a week before the sacking date then ask for a new contract? Agree this is a really annoying issue though

I did this... i got a new contract then was sacked a week later. it was glitchy when i tried to negotiate the contract... the drop down didnt work and i had to hit "use existing contract" and then adjust the numbers to what they had offered.

If you need a hand with FMRTE give me a PM and i can walk you through the process, or if you wanted too, upload your game and i could change what you wanted for you.

Thank you so much... I am generally fairly literate at these kinds of things so I am hoping I can figure it out, but if I cannot then I will PM you. Much appreciated.

there are so many bugs that they couldn't test before handing the game out, so why not give the long standing members a beta test of the game instead of doing it in house and then relasing the game wilth hundreds of bugs year after year.

The public beta has several hundred people involved IIRC. The beta testing isn't done in house.

The problem generally isn't finding bugs, it's fixing them, and then fixing the bugs that fixing the old bugs has created.

no, no ,no. These are lazy comparisons guys. Very lazy. Derby would not sack a manager after he's taken them from total mediocrity to champions league football, AFTER they gave him a new deal. Please, no justifying.

i've downloaded FM11 SX and it seems to work... my contact dates are heavilly skewed... it says my end date of my contract is 1900, so I change it to the right year. However, when I try to save it says it cant save compressed files... any advice? Milner?

Is there a different program i should download for my mac that is better?

Well to finish up the debate... I downloaded FMRTE and went in to my contract and it said contract date started 7/20/18 and contract end date year 1900... this bug must be why i was sacked because I fixed the error and put my contract end date to 7/20/22 and have restarted the game and have gone 2 months without being sacked. I can safely assume this was a glitch, not a Mark Hughes situation :p

Again, thanks for the help guys, especially MilnerPoint -- good guy.

Archived