Difficulty of finding jobs/Manager Reputation

Hi all,

Just wanted to voice a bit of frustration at the manager reputations in the game, but more specifically the difficulties of finding a new job. I started a job at Doncaster Rovers and we went up in the play offs first season. Board expectations were for mid table. We got into the premier league, and ended up going down in the first season on goal difference. Man Utd and Arsenal were my last 2 games of the season and they finished first and second so it was pretty tough to take! Then in the championship things weren't going too well for me, the minimum expectation was promotion but I was in the bottom half of the table come October. I took the (drastic I know) step of resigning, hoping that I'd get offered another job either lower championship or league 1. The first couple of offers I got were one from a BSP side, then one from a league 2 side. I wish I took the league 2 job now! I've now been unemployed for a year (just going on holiday applying for ANY jobs, return from hol on job offer), and the only clubs interested in me are BSN and BSS! I know my career wasn't exactly glittering, but surely I am worthy of more than that? I had a couple of good cup runs with Donny, as well as taking them to the premier league and managing a season there. Eventually I had to take a job in the blue square North, then when I was appointed the game hailed it a "shock" appointment, and had the audacity to suggest confusion at why I had decided to drop so many leagues! Very annoying!

Josh

had this problem with 11.2 but no problem with 11.3, are you fully patched up.

when 11.3 first came out i started a new game and in 6 seasons managed to get from Rangers to Barcelona via Fenerbache and Arsenal and didnt apply for any of them was approached.

Yeah I'm playing with the latest update. And I set my reputation to automatic at the start of the game. The problem now is I really don't want to manage that low down. I did it before and I find it so tedious. I went to Gainsborough Trinity in my last game where I literally had to build an entire team and backroom staff on an absolute shoestring when no one would come play for me, it's a miracle I even got a team out. Then I just consistently finished mid table, never really made any progress and got bored. So I don't know whether to start a new game with international footballer as my previous experience or not? Is that cheating?

Yeah I'm playing with the latest update. And I set my reputation to automatic at the start of the game. The problem now is I really don't want to manage that low down. I did it before and I find it so tedious. I went to Gainsborough Trinity in my last game where I literally had to build an entire team and backroom staff on an absolute shoestring when no one would come play for me, it's a miracle I even got a team out. Then I just consistently finished mid table, never really made any progress and got bored. So I don't know whether to start a new game with international footballer as my previous experience or not? Is that cheating?

Your problem is that Doncaster were promoted faster than your reputation increased.

Is it the reputation that should increase faster or were your promotions unrealistic ie three promotions in three seasons.

If you start a new game you should set your reputation at a level similar to the club you start at - ie if you start at a side competing in Europe, international footballer would be fine. The lower down the leagues you go the lower you should set your reputation. Alternatively you use automatic which I believe matches your rep to the club you start at.

I used automatic but it didn't seem to match up very well at all! Premier league to Blue Square is definetley not realistic... My friend always starts games as former international footballer and Spanish as a second language but I always think this is cheating slightly. I might do it though, I feel like the game is cheating me a bit as it is!

I used automatic but it didn't seem to match up very well at all! Premier league to Blue Square is definetley not realistic... My friend always starts games as former international footballer and Spanish as a second language but I always think this is cheating slightly. I might do it though, I feel like the game is cheating me a bit as it is!

Sorry I didn't read your OP very well :(

Doncaster are a Championship side aren't they. I think the problem is for a Championship team they probably have quite a low rep, I at least tend to associate them more with League 1/2. Aside from that your rep only had a couple of seasons to increase but even so I would have thought you would have been in with a shout of League 1 jobs.

I personally think the heart of the problem is in the International/Proffesional/Semi-Pro/Sunday League/Automatic options they give you. In my previous save playing at Proffesional level, patched to 11.3, I had offers as varied as Peterborough and Wolfsburg. It's the main reason I restarted with a Semi-Pro reputation.

Surely the options should be in line with in-game reputations i.e. Worldwide/Continental/National/Regional/Local/Obscure?

Exactly! It's not as if every manager was a former player either. So why do we have to be? The options we're given only nominally represent the reputation left over from a playing career and are currently too vague and unintuitive so I think we should scrap them.

For example, technically-speaking, Kieron Dyer and Darius Vassel both qualify for the 'international player' rating. Yet somehow I don't seem them attracting quite the same attention for a managerial role as that other international-ranked manager Diego Maradonna.

In reality KD and DV would probably have a 'National' reputation while Maradona would start with a 'Worldwide' reputation. Reverting to the system the game uses everywhere else would help clear up this confusion immeasurably.

ToffeeViola, you have a point. However, the game runs around the assumption that you played AT SOME LEVEL.

Looking at the successful managers - managers like Wenger, Benitez and Mourinho played football at a mediocre level and started managing at the bottom. Players like Keane, Maradona and Dalglish played at the highest level and started at the top.

Saying 'look at players' doesn't really have much point when there are thousands and thousands of players who have played at international level and haven't even gone into management. Compare with the reputations of managers, not players.

Exactly! It's not as if every manager was a former player either. So why do we have to be? The options we're given only nominally represent the reputation left over from a playing career and are currently too vague and unintuitive so I think we should scrap them.

Fully agree with this.

• 2 months later...
ToffeeViola, you have a point. However, the game runs around the assumption that you played AT SOME LEVEL.

Looking at the successful managers - managers like Wenger, Benitez and Mourinho played football at a mediocre level and started managing at the bottom. Players like Keane, Maradona and Dalglish played at the highest level and started at the top.

Saying 'look at players' doesn't really have much point when there are thousands and thousands of players who have played at international level and haven't even gone into management. Compare with the reputations of managers, not players.

Wenger started at Nancy, a mid table top division french team who he managed to get relegated, he then moved to Monaco who had players like Trezeguet and Henry, hardly starting at the bottom.

Rafa Benitez started similarly at top division Valladolid and only then moved to lower division clubs because of his failures (sacked by Valladolid 19th in league)

Mourinho started at Benfica where he resigned after less than one year after a new president was elected and refused to offer him a new contract despite his relative early success

None of the managers you mentioned started at a club anywhere near to 'the bottom' (blu square conference, Segunda Division, Serie C2 etc)

i think Automatic is flawed, i will always use Semi Pro for bottom leagues from now on after i managed in 15 seasons to get Redditch promoted to League 2 (2 promotions from worst team in BSN) and yet could never get any job offer other than BSS/BSN

Just some referential examples of how your reputation may have changed so far...

Board expectations were for mid table. We got into the premier league, [ + EG 400 Rep (including games to get there) ]

and ended up going down in the first season on goal difference. [ - EG 200 Rep ]

[And - 200 Rep for the net negative win/lose/draw performance over the season]

Then in the championship things weren't going too well for me, the minimum expectation was promotion but I was in the bottom half of the table come October. [ - 40 Rep]

Ignoring the cup runs you may well have a net negative reputation from whence you started. I've recently been tracking manager reputation closely (again), but not in the Championship / Premierleague . It varies significantly league - to - league, so the values could be quite a bit off.

Nonetheless, lets assume you've started with the minimum reputation required to manage Doncaster and that they have a low relative reputation for the Championship. When you resign you will no longer be qualified to manage Doncaster (Whilst your reputation decreased overall, Doncaster's likely increased due to having a profile in the Premiership.), and since they are low-end for the Championship already, you won't qualify for Championship teams.

Ouch! So you should qualify for low-rep League 2 teams and average League 1 teams, but there may not be too much variation in reputation in those leagues which may be why the next tier down is where you get offers.

Should it work this way? I'm not sure, but I don't really see much unrealistic with your story so far. How many brand new managers resign from Championship teams and move to other Championship teams with a net-negative career performance? I doubt many!

Archived